Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine died

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine died

Recently completed an L83 and 6L80 trans swap in my 63 Catalina convertible. It kept throwing an O2 sensor code so I replaced both sensors and it ran better than it ever has. Before the swap I put in a comp cam with a DOD delete so that can't be the problem.

I was driving home yesterday and the engine just quit pulling. I was going downhill and the car was in gear so the engine was turning. I kept moving the throttle up and down and occasionally the engine would give a little bump but nothing more. When I got to the bottom of the hill there was a good place to pull to the side of the freeway and call the auto club. Got it home and checked all the fuses on the ECM wiring and put the scan tool on it. Got codes P228C, P0097 and PO0113. I did put the gauge on it and the primary fuel pressure was 50 psi +- but my scan tool is not sophisticated enough to give me any high pressure pump information. Did not have time to do anything else so gave up for the day.

I went out this morning and flooded the inlet tube with starting fluid to see if it would light or even cough and it started and ran. I cleared all the codes and it seems to be running fine but I am afraid to drive it not knowing what the problem is.

It was a relatively cool day and the engine temp was its usual 200 degrees which is where it seems to run regardless of ambient temperature or A/C on or off. The ECM is in the passenger compartment so it is unaffected by under hood temp. Needles to say I am at a loss. I am not opposed to pulling the intake manifold and physically inspecting the high pressure pump and lines but do not know if it would accomplish anything.

I am not opposed to just throwing any parts/sensors at this thing that might be the culprit but do not know what that might be. This is my first build in about 30 years so I am completely out of my element on the electronics and direct injection. Any knowledge someone else has that I do not would be greatly appreciated. I really do not want this to happen again.

Dwight

Quick Reply: Engine died