PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my tune get messed up sitting over the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
1. A tune doesn't go bad. If the tune is bad it's bad.
2. Speaking generally a stock PCM learns fuel trims and idle air trims, both have short terms and long terms
3. If the car has been tuned, you can disable the long terms and/or also the short terms.
4. You can tune it to run open loop completely, run closed looped, with STFT and or LTFT.
5. Regardless...a tune doesn't go bad...

That part I get and believe. I'm just trying to figure out what happened in the first place. The car has been tuned and had that tune on it when it had its fit. Then I put the same tune on it again and it cleared up like nothing happened. Same temp/same fuel. I just don't want it happening again, maybe when I'm driving it somewhere and don't have my laptop. Probably won't happen again so I guess I'll just wait and see.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

It could be old/bad fuel, low battery voltage. There are too many variables that we don't know about you give you an actual honest answer.

The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (03-14-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
It could be old/bad fuel, low battery voltage. There are too many variables that we don't know about you give you an actual honest answer.
It's all good, just gonna run it and hope it doesn't happen again.

Now I gotta get my new stall in! Can't wait till the track opens!
Old 03-18-2020, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano 00TA
Like I said in the title, I don't know what could've happened but I went to start my car after sitting for a couple months and it ran like ****! Pig rich as in 9-10 afr and very bad fumes, misfires, etc. Then my CES came on and when I checked codes got these 3 codes. P0102,P0155,P0045? The one code for the 02 sensor heater could apply but the other 2 codes, 102 is for the maf sensor(I'm running SD now) and the 045 is for Supercharger/turbo boost? I have no idea where this one comes from. I re-flashed it with my tune and it ran fine after that but I was just curious what could cause this to happen? I've never heard of it.

Also when I went to flash it I got a message saying something about operating systems being different and I had to do the "special" flash that said might brick my PCM? Luckily it went fine and didn't brick it but what could be going on here?
Dead battery?

MAF failed would cause that P0102 but that is necessary to run in SD. Should be set to "MIL on First Error" and the "SES Enable" box should be unchecked. P0101 and P0103 should be set the same way. And "MAF Sensor Frequency Fail High" should be set to 0. What computer are you running? Im not familiar with the P0045 code.

Since it sat for so long, if the battery died, it can lose the codes and STFT/LTFT, requiring you to at least start once to set the code and for it go into SD mode AND THEN you have to relearn LTFTs, if enabled and in closed loop.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jaydubb
Dead battery?

MAF failed would cause that P0102 but that is necessary to run in SD. Should be set to "MIL on First Error" and the "SES Enable" box should be unchecked. P0101 and P0103 should be set the same way. And "MAF Sensor Frequency Fail High" should be set to 0. What computer are you running? Im not familiar with the P0045 code.

Since it sat for so long, if the battery died, it can lose the codes and STFT/LTFT, requiring you to at least start once to set the code and for it go into SD mode AND THEN you have to relearn LTFTs, if enabled and in closed loop.
Battery was fine, been on a maintainer all winter. Just checked my tune file and codes p101/02/03 are all set to No Error Reported and all ses boxes are unchecked. The p045 came from deep left field being a supercharger/turbo boost code? Don't know how that popped up.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Battery was fine, been on a maintainer all winter. Just checked my tune file and codes p101/02/03 are all set to No Error Reported and all ses boxes are unchecked. The p045 came from deep left field being a supercharger/turbo boost code? Don't know how that popped up.
Can you post a copy of your tune file?
Old 03-20-2020, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can you post a copy of your tune file?
Sure can.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Spooltek Final Tune.hpt (223.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-20-2020, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Sure can.
Is this your CURRENT tune file? This is not configured properly configured for SD (MAF is not failed properly).This car NOT boosted, correct?
Old 03-20-2020, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is this your CURRENT tune file? This is not configured properly configured for SD (MAF is not failed properly).This car NOT boosted, correct?
This is my currant file, this is the one I got when it was dyno tuned. So I should try it the way you said earlier?

Oh, from your earlier question, it's the stock computer.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:05 AM
Launching!

This is my currant file, this is the one I got when it was dyno tuned. So I should try it the way you said earlier?

Oh, from your earlier question, it's the stock computer.
Not boosted and no MAF, correct?
​​
Old 03-21-2020, 01:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not boosted and no MAF, correct?
​​
Man, I must've been tired since I screwed my reply all up, lol. No MAF and no boost.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:37 AM
Launching!

Man, I must've been tired since I screwed my reply all up, lol. No MAF and no boost.
Try this. Only thing I changed was the DTC stuff. View comparison first...
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Spooltek Final Tune_Test1.hpt (223.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-22-2020, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Try this. Only thing I changed was the DTC stuff. View comparison first...
I will, Thanks!
Old 03-22-2020, 02:52 PM
Launching!

I will, Thanks!
Cool. Let me know what happens.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

A little update and I feel like an idiot! My tune didn't get messed up by sitting......I was going through my toolbox and saw my old Diablo Predator in there and remembered that I was trying to "unmarry" it from my car early winter and loaded the stock tune off of it onto my car hoping I could sell the thing! DUH! No wonder it ran like ****!

And the predator sucks....still married to my car and Diablo won't do anything about it unless I have my receipt showing I bought it! Yeah, that was a long time ago and that receipt is in parts unknown now.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dano 00ta
a little update and i feel like an idiot! My tune didn't get messed up by sitting......i was going through my toolbox and saw my old diablo predator in there and remembered that i was trying to "unmarry" it from my car early winter and loaded the stock tune off of it onto my car hoping i could sell the thing! Duh! No wonder it ran like ****!

And the predator sucks....still married to my car and diablo won't do anything about it unless i have my receipt showing i bought it! Yeah, that was a long time ago and that receipt is in parts unknown now.
efff diablo...
Old 04-21-2020, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

efff diablo...
Yep. Totally agree.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 355 Likes on 242 Posts

And the predator sucks....still married to my car and Diablo won't do anything about it unless I have my receipt showing I bought it! Yeah, that was a long time ago and that receipt is in parts unknown now.
I thought they fix it, but you have to pay a fee if you don't have proof of purchase? Otherwise people buying used ones could be stuck with an expensive worthless tuner.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 68Formula
I thought they fix it, but you have to pay a fee if you don't have proof of purchase? Otherwise people buying used ones could be stuck with an expensive worthless tuner.
Yeah, I think it was like 100 bucks for them to clear it. I wouldn't even be able to sell it for that price. So I'm stuck with a 300+ dollar code scanner. lol

Quick Reply: Did my tune get messed up sitting over the winter?