Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 new cam, fires but won't grab idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 5.3 new cam, fires but won't grab idle

5.3 turbo. Last year it was running, this winter i changed the cam to a summit stage 3 and swapped the decapped injectors for deka 80's.

Ive gotten it to fire and stay running 3 times but in between those times it just fires on the key turn pretty solid then just dies. The couple times i got it up and going i was playing with the throttle to make it work, except the first time. The first time it went to 1200 rpm and held by itself. The wide band shows its just stupid amounts of lean down in the idle cells, but I can't seem to raise those cells enough to change what the wide bands says. I increased the cells by 500% and the AF table still shows it wanted 100%+ more. No matter what amount I change it by it wants more. New cam file is the first time it went.

I messed with the idle airflow back and forth but it didnt seem to help anything. Getting the VE table right before I dig into that stuff is proving hard since i cant get it to stay running lol. The cam only has like 2.5* of over lap I can't imagine it require large scale changes from the stock cam tune just to fire it up. But I changed the injectors at the same time...

I do not have access to a tuner here or a dyno. I'm basically on my own for any tuning where I live. I had it running tip top last year until my last 1/4 mile pull of the year and it had stumbling and lean issues right after the pull. I had to feather the brake on it while applying pedal because the AF would go lean with not enough engine load. After checking for vac leaks and the other stuff nothing could be found. Decaps have been known to do such things so i just replaced them with dekas. It got the head gaskets changed too and everything on the top end inspected. Couldn't find anything wrong measurement wise or any broken seals anywhere.

I'm kind of lost on what to do next.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
File Type: hpl
3 time worked better.hpl (105.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: hpl
New Cam Idle.hpl (156.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-19-2020, 04:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Just a quick look at your file.
The Deka 80 is 89lb/hr at 58 psi fuel pressure. Or are you running 43?
Also, the rest of your injector tables don't seem to be correct for the deka 80's.

Your VE table is a mess.....not trying to be mean.

It seems from your data log etc you are a bit of a novice with HPT?
You aren't logging the correct or enough stuff.
And how is the wideband connected to hpt? EGR port?

Ron
Old 04-19-2020, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Just a quick look at your file.
The Deka 80 is 89lb/hr at 58 psi fuel pressure. Or are you running 43?
Also, the rest of your injector tables don't seem to be correct for the deka 80's.

Your VE table is a mess.....not trying to be mean.

It seems from your data log etc you are a bit of a novice with HPT?
You aren't logging the correct or enough stuff.
And how is the wideband connected to hpt? EGR port?

Ron
Ya the table is a mess, its one of the reason for going to the dekas over the decaps because they had little points in the table where they demanded huge differences. The wide band is mounted in about 18" after the turbo in the down pipe, its ran to a 9pin connector i think it was That i soldered in and then to a usb adapter and plugged into the laptop. My FP gauge on the FPR says its 43psi.

I'm a complete novice to it. Last April was the first time I used it. Truck worked well besides some idle hiccups every now and again. Im sure it's no where near as good as an experienced tuner would make it.

I noticed tonight after i got it fired up a few more times that the MAP seems off? When the key is on, engine off, the MAP is reading 30-40kpa and when it was idling it was reading less than 30. Like 0-10. That's not how i remember it before winter.

I just found the sticky with the injector data on it and ya its wrong...well that explains a lot.

Last edited by LetsTurboSomething; 04-19-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:56 PM
8 Second Club

Ok, thanks.
ill put a tune together for you that you can use to copy/paste the correct injector data using the compare function into your tune.

I’ll add a VE table too. It won’t be perfect, but will clean yours up.

The map reads weird in hpt.
So here is a test.
Key on, start the scanner. Give the engine a couple cranks. Without starting it. Leave the key on. It should read near 100kpa.
If it reads 30, then I’d say it’s not a 3 bar sensor.

I’ll also post a channel list and layout you can either use or look at to get an idea on what you should be measuring.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:49 PM
8 Second Club

Boost referenced fuel pressure regulator?
Old 04-19-2020, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Ok, thanks.
ill put a tune together for you that you can use to copy/paste the correct injector data using the compare function into your tune.

I’ll add a VE table too. It won’t be perfect, but will clean yours up.

The map reads weird in hpt.
So here is a test.
Key on, start the scanner. Give the engine a couple cranks. Without starting it. Leave the key on. It should read near 100kpa.
If it reads 30, then I’d say it’s not a 3 bar sensor.

I’ll also post a channel list and layout you can either use or look at to get an idea on what you should be measuring.
I changed the injector data to the stuff in the excel sheet in the sticky and it fired right up no problem. I adjusted the base idle airflow before i did it and it seems to be spot on almost. Might just need to get the IAC count down about 20 steps with a screw adjustment maybe. It's a 3 bar sensor 100%. Same sensor i was running last summer and it was functioning perfect. It's not reading past 90kpa either when i went on a drive tonight. But the idle seems to be working itself out. I'll fine tune it some more but the AF was good and it wasn't stalling on the road test. But I for sure hit 8-10 psi and the water meth kicked on and the scanner never saw over 90. The AFR was 10:1 in boost so i wasn't to scared about it and it never pulled timing but I didn't mess with it more than once out of fear i would be in the wrong spark zone.

and ya I'm referenced off the manifold.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:50 PM
8 Second Club

Except for the sensor, you are on your way.
Good luck

Quick Reply: 5.3 new cam, fires but won't grab idle