PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Anyone made A/C AND Fans work with Blue/ Green PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023 | 11:11 AM
7 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

There is a lot to it, this site has the most comprehensive information that I've seen on the challenges especially with blue/green P59s as only a few service numbers will work using a 12V a/c request.

https://lt1swap.com/airconditioning.htm

Old 08-15-2023 | 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nariman
sorry to bug you guys, but I have the same problem (and the tuner doesn't care apparently to fix it).Is a P59 on a 2003 truck and I converted to electric fans. Fans work flawlessly as the ect goes up, no problem. A/C operation is the issue. On A/C request, compressor clutch activates like normal, HP sensor reads around 1.5V and starts to go up (close to 4V), condenser gets super hot, but no fan kicks on. It just doesn't respond to A/C HP sensor. Recirculation fitted is set to "Fan # 2" and Type fitted is set to "serial cycling". is this correct? truck has factory 3 wire pressure sensor on high side.
I contacted the tuner and ask for a new file, they emailed me one, but they only changed ON/OFF temps under fan setting (which seems irrelevant to the issue) and I can't even write to ECM, keep asking for a license. Is this sounds right? Tuner "theoretically" used one or two credit for this VIN, why asking for license again? Appreciate any input.
according to the above post, the type fitted needs to be set to "serial" rather than "serial cycling" with the 2003 O/S.
Old 08-15-2023 | 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bobcratch
according to the above post, the type fitted needs to be set to "serial" rather than "serial cycling" with the 2003 O/S.
Is a factory denso 10s17f compressor and is a fixed displacement to best of my knowledge. So you think if I change it to “serial” it’ll command the fan on a/c?then compressor will not cycle? This became frustrating for real…
Old 08-16-2023 | 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is a factory denso 10s17f compressor and is a fixed displacement to best of my knowledge. So you think if I change it to “serial” it’ll command the fan on a/c?then compressor will not cycle? This became frustrating for real…
the cycling of the compressor is accomplished with a pressure switch on the low side, rather than through the PCM.

As for the fan operation, the original post seems to indicate that with the O/S you are using, you need to set the A/C system to non cycling in order for the fans to come on with A/C pressure:

"With an analog cycling setup, the PCM monitors the low pressure switch signal. The AC request signal is sent from the HVAC controls, through the high pressure switch, and then to the PCM. There is no pressure sensor on a cycling setup. When the PCM is setup for cycling, it will not command the fans based on AC refrigerant pressure, but it will command the fans for engine coolant temp.

With a non-cycling setup, the PCM monitors a pressure sensor mounted on the high side. It does not use any pressure switches. When setup as non-cycling, the PCM will command the fans on based on AC refrigerant pressure as well as engine coolant temp."

If you change this and it works as expected, please let us know as that is useful feedback.
Old 08-16-2023 | 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Will try to change serial cycling to serial and replace both sensor/switches and post the results. Thanks
Old 08-16-2023 | 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will try to change serial cycling to serial and replace both sensor/switches and post the results. Thanks
you could also try swapping to the 2004 or 2005 OS. The 2005 would've had e-fans by default, and as far as i can tell it was still set up for "serial cycling" in the tune.
Old 08-16-2023 | 01:01 PM
TECH Resident
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bobcratch
you could also try swapping to the 2004 or 2005 OS. The 2005 would've had e-fans by default, and as far as i can tell it was still set up for "serial cycling" in the tune.
The later trucks still have the cycling switch on the accumulator, the signal from it goes to the HVAC controller which then cycles the compresser via serial data. The earlier trucks and vans use analog cycling, the cycling switch is wired to ground the cycling switch pin on PCM to enable the compressor. The setting needs to match the wiring. Then also the P59 if wired as analog request needs to have the analog request provisions which they usually do if they have IAC drivers.
Old 08-16-2023 | 01:37 PM
Teching In

I had the same exact issue as @Nariman, I ended up resolving the issue by installing a pressure sensor and setting the pcm to analog (not analog cycling). I kept the high and low pressure switches as they were already installed and I just had to adjust some of the wiring.

My setup is p59 pcm that is analog request capable, denso 10s17f compressor, AC set to Analog with pressure sensor and low and high pressure switches.
Old 09-04-2023 | 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

So, for any of you guys may be interested, I was able to make it work. The problem was the 20 year old pressure sensor, tune and also the HVAC head inside. No other modifications in wiring or anything else. Blue/green ECU. Serial cycling. reads pressure from pressure sensor on high side (as stock) and responds to it accordingly with low or high fan speeds, depending on ECT input. works and cycles as it should.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nariman:
bobcratch (11-06-2023), clay68c10 (09-04-2023)
Old 11-06-2023 | 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, for any of you guys may be interested, I was able to make it work. The problem was the 20 year old pressure sensor, tune and also the HVAC head inside. No other modifications in wiring or anything else. Blue/green ECU. Serial cycling. reads pressure from pressure sensor on high side (as stock) and responds to it accordingly with low or high fan speeds, depending on ECT input. works and cycles as it should.
which OS did you end up using? Thanks
Old 12-03-2023 | 09:39 AM
Launching!

This is awesome!

Does anyone know if this can be done to a P01 / 0411? I’d love another input….

Quick Reply: Anyone made A/C AND Fans work with Blue/ Green PCM?