PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Holley Sniper vs stripped stock harness and tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020 | 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Default Holley Sniper vs stripped stock harness and tune

Ok guys, I dropped a 2002 5.3 into my older jeep. I was going to send off the harness and ecm to Jim's but a buddy said not to that it would be better to go with the sniper/terminator. So I'm asking yall. I like my gauges in the dash vs the flat monitor but I like the learning self tuning of the holley.
Old 07-17-2020 | 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

It self-tunes TO A POINT; enough to get you going OK, but you still need to do the WOT tune yourself.
Old 07-19-2020 | 10:24 PM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

What year Jeep ?
Old 07-19-2020 | 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
It self-tunes TO A POINT; enough to get you going OK, but you still need to do the WOT tune yourself.
The only self tuning it does is the fuel table and it does it from idle to WOT, Timing and everything else is set by the user, The base tables are pretty good so it's not as hard as it seems.
Old 07-19-2020 | 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jeepnfool
Ok guys, I dropped a 2002 5.3 into my older jeep. I was going to send off the harness and ecm to Jim's but a buddy said not to that it would be better to go with the sniper/terminator. So I'm asking yall. I like my gauges in the dash vs the flat monitor but I like the learning self tuning of the holley.
You can keep most gauges and still use the Holley depending on the year of the jeep, What year is it?
Holley has analog and digital gauges that will connect to their EFI systems.

Keep in kind that you get a lot of added features with the Holley system that you don't get with the stock ECU.
Old 07-19-2020 | 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
The only self tuning it does is the fuel table and it does it from idle to WOT, Timing and everything else is set by the user, The base tables are pretty good so it's not as hard as it seems.
Thank you for clarifying! So the timing needs doing thru the whole range besides all the WOT tuning to do.
Old 07-19-2020 | 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Thank you for clarifying! So the timing needs doing thru the whole range besides all the WOT tuning to do.
Yes and no. If it's a relatively stock engine then the base tables are pretty good. I'm not a tuner and managed to get a few engines running pretty damn well in short period.
Fuel tables will populate pretty quickly as you put the vehicle thru it's paces, I usually work at getting a good idle and setting all the basics then drive easy for the first few minutes and gradually start loading the engine harder and harder while increasing RPM to populate the fuel table. It literally can be done in minutes of driving not hours.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Holley Sniper vs stripped stock harness and tune