PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single speed solo fan cycling woes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Single speed solo fan cycling woes...

Hi, apologies, Ive searched but not found a solution for this; it seems running a single fan with one speed is rare(no A/C either)?

2001 LS1 Silverado setup in my 1955 3100 Suburban build. I've got my single speed solo fan wired according to Brendan's diagram but I'm getting the relay clicking on and off like a flasher. When I turn the fan on in HPTuners scanner, it runs consistent but when I turn it back off in the scanner and the PCM takes control, it again clicks constantly.

I've tried the suggestions I've come across for Fan tune settings but like I said, most all the setups I've come across are running either two fans, two speed fans or A/C so I don't know that they are meant to alleviate my situation.

I'm running 12awg from battery through the relay to the fan and it runs great when activated in scanner so I'm quite sure it's not a voltage drop issue.

If I can't rectify this through a tune setup I'll just run it off a switch. Yuck.

Here is my tune in case its helps:

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Swizcore_Base.hpt (224.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-22-2020, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 289 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by swizcore
I've tried the suggestions I've come across for Fan tune settings but like I said, most all the setups I've come across are running either two fans, two speed fans or A/C so I don't know that they are meant to alleviate my situation.
I have no idea who Brandon is, but I converted to a single fan, that is either on or off, and A/C is gone, so I attached my fan settings. My car is a turbo setup, so I run a 160 thermostat, and temperatures stay very consistent, driving, idling or whatever...

I have my FAN 1 relay triggered from the factory ECU's ground trigger wire, bypassing any factory relays.
I have Fan 2 wiring in place, although not functional right now, with a second add-on relay, just like Fan 1 (& triggered by factory ground trigger for Fan 2). I plan to use it for a transmission cooler fan.
I still could use a fine tuning of the settings, but it works well, as-is. My biggest issue was not having the factory plastic shrouding and air deflector. Now that it is all back on where it's supposed to be, it works as well as stock...even with one single 16" fan.

The following users liked this post:
Dcon (07-20-2021)
Old 12-22-2020, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

I have found the easiest way is to compare your existing file to a factory Camaro in the sample folder located in My Docs/HP Tuners folder. Import the Camaro fan settings and upload the new file and it should fix your issue.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rel3rd
I have no idea who Brandon is, but I converted to a single fan, that is either on or off, and A/C is gone, so I attached my fan settings. My car is a turbo setup, so I run a 160 thermostat, and temperatures stay very consistent, driving, idling or whatever...

I have my FAN 1 relay triggered from the factory ECU's ground trigger wire, bypassing any factory relays.
I have Fan 2 wiring in place, although not functional right now, with a second add-on relay, just like Fan 1 (& triggered by factory ground trigger for Fan 2). I plan to use it for a transmission cooler fan.
I still could use a fine tuning of the settings, but it works well, as-is. My biggest issue was not having the factory plastic shrouding and air deflector. Now that it is all back on where it's supposed to be, it works as well as stock...even with one single 16" fan.

I appreciate that. I have everything torn apart right now as I'm starting to paint the chassis and undercarriage. I'll have it back together in a few weeks and try these settings. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessor...ontroller.html Here is what i used on my 92 silverado. Simple setup and it has worked flawlessly for 9 years now.

Just realized the price is pretty high now. I paid $80 bucks 9 years ago.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swizcore
I appreciate that. I have everything torn apart right now as I'm starting to paint the chassis and undercarriage. I'll have it back together in a few weeks and try these settings. Thanks.
Swizcore: Any luck figuring out the relay clicking?? I have the same issue. Thanks! 2002 Camaro manual trans tune, No A/C.

Quick Reply: Single speed solo fan cycling woes...