Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob HPTuners Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob HPTuners Help

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site. Not even really sure this would be the correct forum for what I'm looking for.

Long story short, I had sudden and inadvertent fly cutting of my pistons happen while I was "racing" a brand new 2021 BMW 850i xDrive (gosh dang they're quick lol). I bounced off the rev limiter at the top of 3rd trying to keep up with this BMW, and by the time I was in 4th, my valves and pistons had already kissed and the damage was done. No compression (literally 0) in 7 out of 8 cylinders. Borescoping showed eyebrows on all of the pistons. Heads are currently off the car, cam is about ready to come out. The compression issue is caused by the valve stems being bent. Lifters and pushrods are probably fine, but I got new ones anyway. I had already planned on getting heads and a cam, so this event just moved up my timeline a bit. I have a, currently, completely stock 98 C5 manual car with about 28k miles (I bought the car at only 20k!)

I wanted to get this post up before I was fully done installing the new parts. For this repair/upgrade I purchased a bunch of stuff from Texas Speed including:
PRC 227 CNC ported heads
TSP .660 lift dual spring kit
Magic Stick 4 camshaft
New LS7 lifters
New LS2 lifter trays
New TSP 7.500" pushrods
Misc. bolts, gaskets, seals, etc.

MPVI2 Pro and AEM wideband from Summit

I have never tuned a fuel injected motor before so I'm fairly lost with this. I am very good with computers and I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade. I learn quick but haven't had the time to figure out HPT very much. Attached I have included the stock tune off of my car, and a tune I found on the HPT repo for a similar build, but with an MS3 cam instead of an MS4. Worth noting, my car also has the factory intake, throttle body, intake/exhaust manifolds, exhaust system, injectors, everything else, etc. I know I won't make anywhere near what this H/C setup is capable of until I upgrade all those parts as well, but they are not in the budget at the moment. For now I am just looking to make safe, daily drivable power until I can get all the tuning figured out.

I want to know if the tune I found on HPT repo is a decent starting point for what I'm going for. Will that tune work well enough/be safe just to get my car idling? Or if I should just make changes to my stock tune? Please keep in mind I know almost nothing about HPT, aside from a few videos I've watched on YT. Any input on the matter is appreciated, and a short explanation on WHY you would make the change you're making would be fantastic. I want to learn how to do this myself, not just to follow instructions from random dudes on the internet. I would have loved to start tuning on a stock, already running car, but the situation doesn't allow it. I need a good starting point. I want to get my car running before I try to learn HPT.

Thank you in advance to everybody providing input!
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Stock.hpt (216.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: hpt
HPT repo MS3.hpt (219.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-03-2021, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

A stock tune probably won't idle with a MS4 cam without adjusting the VE table. What injectors are you going to run in this? The stock injectors will be probably at their limit with those heads and cam. If you don't have injectors in mind, consider using the V6 36# injectors that flow 42# at LS base pressure. They are cheap, easily available and reliable. I always ship them out and have them cleaned and flowed before installing them.
BTW, a member on here Chopperdoc has made some of the best videos out there. They are linked on tech, and on YT. And, they are free.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
A stock tune probably won't idle with a MS4 cam without adjusting the VE table. What injectors are you going to run in this? The stock injectors will be probably at their limit with those heads and cam. If you don't have injectors in mind, consider using the V6 36# injectors that flow 42# at LS base pressure. They are cheap, easily available and reliable. I always ship them out and have them cleaned and flowed before installing them.
BTW, a member on here Chopperdoc has made some of the best videos out there. They are linked on tech, and on YT. And, they are free.
I know that I will need injectors to get the most out of the heads and cam. I will also need an intake and headers/exhaust. So I was planning on getting injectors along with the other parts, for now I needed to get the heads and cam done to get the car back on the road. The rest can come later budget persisting. I didn't have any specifics in mind for injectors, but thank you for the tip about the V6 ones, sounds like a solid deal for the flow rate.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

The first thing I would do is whack about 15% of the VE table out 1500 and below. Blend it from 1500-2300 and see if it will start and try to idle. That cam is much less efficient down low and will need less fuel.

Quick Reply: Noob HPTuners Help