Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam and head swap car wont stay on

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cam and head swap car wont stay on

Like the title says, I have a ls1 with new stock replacement pistons, ms3 cam, racetronix 255 fuel pump only. fast 102 intake with 102 TB from fast, ls3 fuel rails, and ls3 fuel injectors, and it has bench tuned. now i have a P0300 code, first start up the camaro turned on well, oil pressure well over 50 psi, temp was good, and fuel gauge was showing full. not sure why. I also checked the fuel rail and it sprayed so i know theres fuel. after 3rd start it turn on with a little help from the gas pedal. After that it doesnt want to turn on. So my question is why isn't it staying on? i gapped the spark plugs to .40. going to list all my mods under.

fast 102 intake, ms3 cam, fast toy lid 104, 100 maf, racetronix 244 fuel pump, 243 heads ported and polish, new valves, ls2 timing belt, ls7 lifters, monster stage 2 clutch, 342 gears, 6 speed manual transmission. as right now it only has a bench tune, ARP rod bolts, dual valve springs, dual valve springs.

is my first build so im trying to figure it out.

thank you.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Is VATS turned off?
Also, get your terms straight.
You START an engine. You "turn on" an electric motor.
Which is actually what you do when starting a car because you "turn on" the starter motor, which then starts the engine.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:42 PM
Teching In

@G Atsma yes thank you, my English is not that great right now. My VATS? not sure it doesn't show any lights besides my trunk open and ABS light. I do have pictures not sure how i can post them. I also reach out to my tuner about this lets see what he has to say on monday. But any other ideas, what can cause this? While the car was on I couldn't hear if there's was any knock since the car was overly loud. From the noise i was hearing though it sounded very nice, and i also did notice when the RPM dropped low and high.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

One thing you need to do is get a "live" tune. Bench tunes aren't always so good.
Did you maybe put in different injectors that are not figured into the bench tune?
Old 01-30-2021, 11:38 PM
Teching In

i ask the tuner which were best for him and me, and he mention LS3 injectors so i did. i bought some on (ebay) Bosch for $170. im not so sure which LS3 injectors he meant, so i just went with some type of OEM specifications. I do see some that goes from $175 to like $400. not sure whats the difference yet. Im guessing tuning wise.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 02:56 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

It was pretty easy to tell English isn’t your native language. 😊
I understood what you said.

Good that it started and ran. That makes VATS (antitheft) not an issue.

Sounds like as it warmed up you needed to help with the gas.

3rd start a no go.
Thats just tuning.

If you bought GM LS3 injectors, they should have a part number on them.
Your tuner would know what Injector data to use in the tune.

See what your tuner says.

Ron

Quick Reply: cam and head swap car wont stay on