Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with start up tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help with start up tune

I have HP tuners but I have no clue what I'm doing yet. I have a Hummer that had a custom tune with the stock LQ4.
I have now built a LQ9 with 243 heads, a BTR stage II low lift cam and a TBSS intake with flex fuel injectors.

All I know about the last tune was that the tuner threw a bunch of fuel and timing at it. I am afraid to start this thing to take it to my local tuner. Am I being paranoid? I have looked at several email tune sites and they all want my current tune but I don't think it is safe with this engine. The compression should be 11 to 1 ish compared to stock 9.4 to 1 and I have no clue what the injector change will require.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to get it started safely? I am willing to learn but don't know where to begin.

Tim
Old 03-20-2021, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by timharber
I have HP tuners but I have no clue what I'm doing yet.
Do you have a wideband installed and configured to read in HP Tuners? If the "Flex Fuel" injectors are the popular gen4 36lb or the 50lb injectors (new to the LQ9 not installed in the previous LQ4 tune) the data needs to be converted to work with the gen3 LQ9. I have a similar build LQ9 TBSS and the gen4 (12613412) 50 lb/hr injectors. The converted data is in the injector sticky here on the forum. What are the part numbers for your injectors.

If you have a wideband to read air fuel and the correct injector data... I see no reason not to fire the engine and log some data in HP tuners. Then members here can see what is going on with the tune.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I have a wide band. They are the 36lb hr flex fuel injectors So I will start with as is tune and go from there.

Tim
Old 03-20-2021, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by timharber
Yes I have a wide band. They are the 36lb hr flex fuel injectors So I will start with as is tune and go from there.

Tim
Post the injector part numbers... the data should be in the injector sticky.
This is key to everything tune related.
The following users liked this post:
Guy with a Chevy (08-05-2023)
Old 03-21-2021, 01:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

The stickies at the top of this forum have more than enough info to set you up. An annoying amount of reading is relatively free, compared to blowing a motor. The steps are simple, but there are a lot of them. Follow the guides and you will be good to go.
The following users liked this post:
timharber (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Injector part # 12613411
Old 03-21-2021, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,357 Posts

[QUOTE=timharber;20337737]I have HP tuners but I have no clue what I'm doing yet. I have a Hummer that had a custom tune with the stock LQ4.
I have now built a LQ9 with 243 heads, a BTR stage II low lift cam and a TBSS intake with flex fuel injectors. I am afraid to start this thing to take it to my local tuner. Am I being paranoid?

Your tuner should be able to provide you with a startup tune but they will need a read of the current file on the ECM with your HPtuner software. Just send them that hpt file and all the details on your build and they should be able to send you back the hpt file so you can then write it to the vehicle for start up.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Initial start tune. Needs some work but sound good. I could not have gotten this far without my good buddy Chris Pedone from Brevard Discount transmission. He did the tuning to get it to this point. I have some things to button up before he tunes it some more. Thanks for all the help from this board! This thing is going to be fun

New LQ9 shortblock, 243 heads, BTR Stage II truck cam, NNBS intake with flex fuel injectors and GM 92mm throttle body. Built 4l65E with TBSS I6 converter.

Tim

Quick Reply: Help with start up tune