PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Cant get the car to idle after installing a new cam and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021 | 12:26 PM
Teching In

Default Cant get the car to idle after installing a new cam and exhaust

I'm looking for some guidance on a 2001 Camaro SS M6. I got the car with a pretty substantial rear main seal leak. The car had been sitting for 7 years so I decided to overhaul all the seals and to do some upgrades. I added a Cam, Sinister 230/236 .591"/.601" 112 LSA Camshaft and Hooker Blackheart headers and the catless Hooker Blackheart header back exhaust kit. I thought I had a good understanding on adjusting the RPM, Base Airflow and Spark, but I cant get the engine to idle. I have watched more youtube then I want to admit (hp tuner, goat garage, chopperdoc181). lots of great info for after I get it to idle. just looking for some advice and help getting it there,
The following users liked this post:
Will_00SS (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021 | 05:50 PM
11 Second Club
5 Year Member

When you add cam and exhaust it usually requires a new tune. When I purchased my tune I also purchased HPTuner software so that I was able to read my stock tune and send him the hpt file. He then made the changes and sent me the file back where I was able to write it to the vehicle. Then with the use of the tuning software I was able to adjust my IAC counts with the throttle cracker and once I got those within parameters I was able to start logging data. I'd send him the logs and after a few changes it was good enough to drive around until I got it over to him.
The following users liked this post:
Will_00SS (06-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Cant get the car to idle after installing a new cam and exhaust