Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant get the car to idle after installing a new cam and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Cant get the car to idle after installing a new cam and exhaust

I'm looking for some guidance on a 2001 Camaro SS M6. I got the car with a pretty substantial rear main seal leak. The car had been sitting for 7 years so I decided to overhaul all the seals and to do some upgrades. I added a Cam, Sinister 230/236 .591"/.601" 112 LSA Camshaft and Hooker Blackheart headers and the catless Hooker Blackheart header back exhaust kit. I thought I had a good understanding on adjusting the RPM, Base Airflow and Spark, but I cant get the engine to idle. I have watched more youtube then I want to admit (hp tuner, goat garage, chopperdoc181). lots of great info for after I get it to idle. just looking for some advice and help getting it there
Old 06-27-2021, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

Raising the idle RPM to 1000 RPM will make it easier to get to idie, and then you can start lowering the idle speed from there. Set 'desired airflow' to around 13 g/s as well.
Base spark timing around 18 degrees.

When I was tinkering with my idle and return-to-idle, I set it to idle at 1200 with AC on. That way, if I screwed up, I could just turn on AC to hide my mistakes.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Great! I'll try that. Id been setting the PRM 900. also I may have a faulty crank sensor, rpm reading is less then 150. just one thing after another!
Old 06-28-2021, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm sure that would make it hard to get it to idle. If you have any fault codes, you'd definitely want to get those sorted out first.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by scdelaney
I'm looking for some guidance on a 2001 Camaro SS M6. I got the car with a pretty substantial rear main seal leak. The car had been sitting for 7 years so I decided to overhaul all the seals and to do some upgrades. I added a Cam, Sinister 230/236 .591"/.601" 112 LSA Camshaft and Hooker Blackheart headers and the catless Hooker Blackheart header back exhaust kit. I thought I had a good understanding on adjusting the RPM, Base Airflow and Spark, but I cant get the engine to idle. I have watched more youtube then I want to admit (hp tuner, goat garage, chopperdoc181). lots of great info for after I get it to idle. just looking for some advice and help getting it there
Sorry I don’t have an idle guide yet. But as stated, fix any mechanical issues, bump the base RPM, and also watch your IAC counts if it a cable TB. From there, focus on AFR and spark. Once you have those dialed in (keep in mind it may like lean idle, aka 15-17 AFR at idle), then focus on behavior like return to idle, in gear idle, etc.

It’s not difficult to get it to idle at high RPM, but most of it comes back to fundamentals when it comes to getting it down where you want it. Also consider porting your IAC out if it’s aftermarket. They are usually pretty small when compared to stock. Stepping it up to 3/8” on my FAST 102 made a world of difference on the Camaro.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:46 PM
Teching In

great! thank you! replaced the crankshaft sensor and fired right up. starting to try to get it dialed in. thanks for the response and you awesome videos on youtube!

Quick Reply: Cant get the car to idle after installing a new cam and exhaust