Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No 12v reference coming from pcm for cam and crank sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 12v reference coming from pcm for cam and crank sensors

I have no 12v reference coming from my pcm to my cam and crank sensors I thought it might have been a bad ground so I redone all of my pcm grounds and routed them to the rear of my chevy ii. I have my coil grounds going to the back if the block. everything else seems to be working correctly. I did get power to them briefly for whatever reason and the car tried to bust off so I know if I can get power to it constantly this would solve my no start issue. Heck could I just run a wire straight to the connectors lol? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

You probably should trace it all the way back to the ecu. See if you have the volts there.
It's generally 11.7v.
If it's there, you have an open in the wiring.
I would also use your ohm meter and measure resistance to ground on that wire. Do it with the ign off.
If it's near 0 ohms you have a short in that wire.

Ron
The following users liked this post:
Mouse9419 (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 06:27 AM
Teching In

I checked it at ecu I'm not getting 12v there either. So now my question is might I have a bad ecu. Or could I possibly run a direct wire to my cam and crank sensors.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mouse9419
I checked it at ecu I'm not getting 12v there either. So now my question is might I have a bad ecu. Or could I possibly run a direct wire to my cam and crank sensors.
DO NOT wire the crank and cam position sensor directly to power. The power from the ECM is regulated to a fixed voltage. The voltage in the system varies depending on battery charge level and condition and alternator output (which can be dependent on engine RPMs).

First, check all of the ECM fuses. There are at least two. One powers the ECM internals and the other one provides power for the sensors. It sounds like there may be one blown fuse. If all of the ECM fuses are good, then check for power on all of the power input leads to the PCM. Again, one source (can be 2 or more wires in the harness) is for operating the PCM internals and (an)other source(s) (which can also be more than one wire in the harness) are for powering the sensors.
The following 2 users liked this post by Racer-X-:
LilJayV10 (11-01-2021), Mouse9419 (11-01-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Ok I figured out this issue. I had ran 12v from the fuse block to the alternator and installed a resistor to try to get my alternator to charge. I removed the wire and connected it the correct way and got voltage back. But this still isn't fixing my issue of no spark. I have the coils rain to cranking 12v I have good grounds and I've installed new coil packs. Plugs and wires. Anything else I could possibly check? Thank yall for all the feed back much appreciated I would have never thought the alternator would have anything to do with cam and crank sensors.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Maybe I'm crazy, since it hasn't been mentioned already...but those should be 5v sensors. I just sanity checked myself with a few wiring diagrams and confirmed they are 5v. But hey, I could still be crazy. lol
Old 11-19-2021, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts

Yeah, I initially was thinking 5 v reference circuit...but it is actually 12v ref.

Quick Reply: No 12v reference coming from pcm for cam and crank sensors