PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping ABS with FWD to RWD conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Keeping ABS with FWD to RWD conversion?

I did mention I always come up with the weird stuff. I have no idea where to post this question.
2002 Grand Prix, dropping in an LSx, BUT using a 2013 Camaro independent rear suspension.
How would one find out the wheel speed sensor specifications compared to the original GP front speed sensors?
Basically asking, how can I keep antilock brakes using the factory GP system? The fronts are easy because they came with the car
I know in HPTuners you can calibrate changes of tires sizes to keep the speedo accurate, but this isn't ABS related. I think the ABS is pretty much standalone.
I have read that something called a Tech2 would be of assistance for the ABS module, but not sure what it can do, or if it can change individual sensor pulse multipliers.
I think ABS is a good idea for a street rod with too much power. Anyone know how I can keep ABS?
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2021, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It would depend, s
what ecm you're running and if it was 3 channel or 4 channel ABS. If it was a typical 3 channel with a p01 pcm and a 3 channel system, the ABS gets front signals from the wheel sensors and the rear rear signal from the high speed speed signal, on the PCM. This is derived from the VSS, and supplied to the ABS controller. If the front pulse rate doesn't match the pcm supplied signal, you can change the pulse ratio on the PCM output
Old 11-16-2021, 05:17 AM
Teching In

Mine has 4 wheel sensors/traction control. I see the 2013 Camaro also has wheel speed sensors on both rear CV axles that read toothed gears.
But the W-Body cars like mine have the sensors inside the bearing itself.. From what I read, mine is an active sensor system, and the Camaro is a passive system, so no luck there.
Looking at wiring diagrams, it seems the ABS is pretty much standalone, though not completely. I'll have to dig further. I have an idea for the rear hubs, but need
to test fit some parts first to see if there's any hope.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Damn good question… as mentioned above, y’all already pretty much identified the issues. I’m about 99% sure a 13 Camaro has 4 channel ABS. Hell, even some of the p01’s did too, from what I’ve researched in the past. It has to do with the ABS module itself and how it gets it’s data.

This seems part related and probably fixable. Damn near every sensor GM ever made does about 0-5v, so that’s workable… probably.

This is why I love this forum. People are always doing some cool **** and willing to share the results. I’m interested to see how or if this is possible, just because it’s different.
The following users liked this post:
MagikMerlin (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 04:42 AM
Teching In

Yea, it also has 4 speed sensors, but again, they have 2 different types - active and passive.
Machining might be involved... the GP (or any W-body) front hubs/bearings are 33 spline just like the rear axles on the Camaro. And both hubs bolt on with 3 bolts.
However, the bolt circle of those 3 are close, but not exact. Also, even though a front hub from a GP has the same spline count, it may not be the same diameter.
I was looking at another forum, and they once had a link to the measurements of available CV axle ends for the companies that manufacture them. The links are all dead though, otherwise it would be a matter of
finding an end type that matches the internal ball bearing portion with a spline count/diameter that's needed.
Ah yes, cars are so fun

Quick Reply: Keeping ABS with FWD to RWD conversion?