PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

2008 6.0 LY6 E38 ECM - Using a manual transmission, will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022 | 09:52 AM
Teching In

Default 2008 6.0 LY6 E38 ECM - Using a manual transmission, will it work?

Hello,
Hopefully I am in the right forum and I apologize if this has already been covered here somewhere.

I have a 2008 6.0 LY6 from a GMC Savana 3500. I have the original ECM and have modified the harness for stand alone operation with a fuse panel to power the engine components. I followed the directions on LT1swap.com to rework the factory harness.

I recently had the engine rebuilt and was scheduled for the Dyno and tune tonight. However, I received a call late yesterday that my E38 ECM won't work in this configuration because I am using a manual transmission. I was under the impression that this ECM could be tuned to run in this configuration but maybe I missed something. I have read that I need an OS from a manual transmission car but that creates more issues like the throttle body and the gas pedal need to be changed to what is in that car. I would prefer to not change the gas pedal because I spent considerable time fabricating a mount for the truck gas pedal.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of arrangement or setting up the E38 to run right on a manual transmission?
Old 06-23-2022 | 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mvancamp65
Hello,
Hopefully I am in the right forum and I apologize if this has already been covered here somewhere.

I have a 2008 6.0 LY6 from a GMC Savana 3500. I have the original ECM and have modified the harness for stand alone operation with a fuse panel to power the engine components. I followed the directions on LT1swap.com to rework the factory harness.

I recently had the engine rebuilt and was scheduled for the Dyno and tune tonight. However, I received a call late yesterday that my E38 ECM won't work in this configuration because I am using a manual transmission. I was under the impression that this ECM could be tuned to run in this configuration but maybe I missed something. I have read that I need an OS from a manual transmission car but that creates more issues like the throttle body and the gas pedal need to be changed to what is in that car. I would prefer to not change the gas pedal because I spent considerable time fabricating a mount for the truck gas pedal.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of arrangement or setting up the E38 to run right on a manual transmission?
This vehicle starts and drives already? That just doesn't sound right at all. I personally haven't done anything with the E38 but I cant see that it would be any different than the p59 or p01 to run without a transmission. If it doesn't see a speed signal it should just think there is an issue with the VSS and run regardless. Someone else will definitely have to chime in here though for some clarity...
Old 06-23-2022 | 10:43 AM
Teching In

We haven't even attempted to run. I have heard that it will only be missing the speed signal but I don't know what other issues could arise. I know very little about programing as this is my first swap and I am not confident enough to attempt the tune. However, it doesn't seem like it should be this complicated, that's why I am here looking for input.
Old 06-23-2022 | 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mvancamp65
We haven't even attempted to run. I have heard that it will only be missing the speed signal but I don't know what other issues could arise. I know very little about programing as this is my first swap and I am not confident enough to attempt the tune. However, it doesn't seem like it should be this complicated, that's why I am here looking for input.
It isn't complicated on the older ones like I said before. It's your tuner telling you it won't work? The TCM is separate on a E38 so I really can't imagine any of this is going to matter. CELs can be turned off if they're for the transmission. I'd fire it up and see what it does and see if you have issues before you start moving in any sort of direction.
Old 06-23-2022 | 03:42 PM
7 Second Club
20 Year Member

It's an 08 so they can still use an MDI with SPS to reflash to a manual OS without the BCM needing to be there. HP Tuners only flashes the main part of the ECM and not the integrated TAC module which needs to match the main program of the ECM so you don't run into pedal/TB/TAC mapping issues. This generally also means you need to run the matching pedal.

Your tuner is not steering you wrong.

Quick Reply: 2008 6.0 LY6 E38 ECM - Using a manual transmission, will it work?