Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terminator X issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Terminator X issues

Holley terminator X, 24X, using the holley 7" digital dash. The dash dosent power up, all of the LEDs on the ecu are indicating all systems good. Fuel pump primes, car cranks, engine runs. This is a new engine, shut key off because of no gauges. I hook my laptop up to use the gauges on terminator software, laptop won't sync because it needs to update firmware. So I hook up the 3.5" handheld, turn key on, no fuel pump prime, all the ecu LEDs are solid white, handheld just flashes, o2 sensor clicks in unison with the handheld flashing.
Everything worked perfectly back in March. I will do the firmware update tomorrow, but I'm thinking there is a communication issue between the ecu and the display?
Old 06-23-2022, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by sewerpickle
Holley terminator X, 24X, using the holley 7" digital dash. The dash dosent power up, all of the LEDs on the ecu are indicating all systems good.
Do you have the white 12v switched power wire connected to a switched power source?
Old 06-23-2022, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

I found with my setup, Terminator X max, 7" dash, Can expansion, 3.5" Display, laptop can cable,,,, the order you plug things in matters, I am not close to my rig but IIRC their was a order that didn't work, In general I cant use the laptop cable at the same time as both displays. Eventually when I don't need the laptop connection available I'll Run the 3" as a display for stuff I don't need right in front of me.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

After a few phone calls with holley tech, they have decided that there is a problem in the CAN part of the main harness. Per holleys request I'm pulling the harness out for inspection. Not bad for a car that has been together for 8 months, left the garage once, and logged 4 miles. Lol.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

Yeah, unfortunately sometimes you just have to send them back their stuff. Hell, I'm the only tuner I know, who bricked a Terminator X max. And I did it 5 minutes after meeting a customer. Car was running and driving, I had to update it, and that was it. Then I had to explain, sorry, your car won't run till I ship back the ECM and get Holley to fix it. I still don't know why it happened, as Holley never did explain it. Never had it happen again, and hope I don't.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 563 Likes on 417 Posts

i had a lot of issues with using the 3.5" screen to record data. i never ended up finding a solution, and holley was no help. in hindsight i think maybe their super tiny power and ground wires in the can circuit were too small and the screen was browning out. both a usb cable and the 686 pro dash logged great, neither powered from those can wires.
ultimately i decided to get rid of the holley stuff, but overall it was a nice system that mostly worked fine.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Found my issue. My 12v switched power source which was tied into the cars original harness was losing voltage with load. Stripped that harness out of the car, found a plug that was no longer used in the dash harness so now my terminator has a dedicated 12v switched source.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (06-27-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:54 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Yeah, unfortunately sometimes you just have to send them back their stuff. Hell, I'm the only tuner I know, who bricked a Terminator X max. And I did it 5 minutes after meeting a customer. Car was running and driving, I had to update it, and that was it. Then I had to explain, sorry, your car won't run till I ship back the ECM and get Holley to fix it. I still don't know why it happened, as Holley never did explain it. Never had it happen again, and hope I don't.
You aren't the only one, numerous have bricked on firmware updates. Also seen Holley send back a refurbished unit with another issue when a new unit was sent in. That said Holley isn't the only brand impacted by the current crop of subpar ECM's being sold.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 563 Likes on 417 Posts

im giving haltech a try after somewhat disappointing experience with holley. hopefully its as good as i believe it will be.
holley has crazy market share though.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
You aren't the only one, numerous have bricked on firmware updates. Also seen Holley send back a refurbished unit with another issue when a new unit was sent in. That said Holley isn't the only brand impacted by the current crop of subpar ECM's being sold.
I had heard it happened, I just don't know anyone else who it happened to is all I was saying. I know it sucked, but I've had it happen with HP Tuners also. I guess I didn't expect it with Holley.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Not all but most problems with the Holley system are user error. I've installed several and use them myself and have only had minor issues. Once was when I had a fuel pump relay short out and wiped out the software on the ecu and the truck wouldn't even try to start, I reinstalled the software and tune and everything was back to normal. The other times I've had to fix problems with them have been when they were not installed correctly, Not tuned correctly or other issues that were blamed on the Holley system when it was something else like vacuum leaks, Bad plug wires bad sensor and so on. The one thing I always try to tell people is to make sure the battery has a full charge before trying to start the vehicle and if it doesn't unhook the main harness before hooking up a charger and never use a jump pack or jumper cables while the ecu is plugged in. It doesn't always cause issues but I've seen enough issues from it that I don't chance it. For example, My truck sat for a few months and when I went to start it, it cranked slow but almost started. I decided to give it one more try and it barley started but ran terrible. It just would not run right until I reinstalled the tune. Other problems have been people not following the instructions when it comes to wiring, You have to hook the ECU directly to the battery and your switched power has to have 12v while cranking, I've seen a few that voltage drops below 10v and although they start that don't fire up easily.
I have no experience with the sniper system but it does seem as if they have some issues that are hardware related.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:57 AM
7 Second Club

Received 312 Likes on 210 Posts

A Holley system that has a problem... say it ain't so! Just another reason I recommend OEM PCMs unless you really need the features of an aftermarket one and even then I try to point them more towards a Haltech or Motec. I like the ease of the Holley interface but when something as simple as low voltage can wipe it and you have to reload the whole thing you did something very wrong in the development process of an automotive grade ECU. It's certainly not held to OEM standards that's for sure.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

I do actually believe it had something to do with low voltage on the car. I hate doing firmware upgrades, but you don't get a choice when things aren't compatible. Whatever it was, it wiped it out, like had no power lights on it. They did fix it for free, but I didn't have a spare laying around, so the owner missed LS Fest.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:27 PM
7 Second Club

Received 312 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I do actually believe it had something to do with low voltage on the car. I hate doing firmware upgrades, but you don't get a choice when things aren't compatible. Whatever it was, it wiped it out, like had no power lights on it. They did fix it for free, but I didn't have a spare laying around, so the owner missed LS Fest.
All you have to do is crank the car with low voltage on the Holley's and sometimes if you get unlucky it will nuke it, probably had nothing to do with a firmware upgrade...
Old 06-30-2022, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NicD
All you have to do is crank the car with low voltage on the Holley's and sometimes if you get unlucky it will nuke it, probably had nothing to do with a firmware upgrade...
I've never seen one nuked because of low voltage, Corrupt files yes but easily fixed.
The following users liked this post:
Old Buzzard (07-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Terminator X issues