PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

5th gen Camaro tach not working after gen3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2023 | 01:49 AM
Teching In

Default 5th gen Camaro tach not working after gen3 swap

I just finished my engine swap into my 5th gen Camaro SS. I built a gen 3 6.0 iron block for a boosted application. Using a 58t crank. Car starts but it takes awhile to fire and won't start after it's warmed up after it's turned off. I know it's the tune and it will be dyno tuned soon. The main problem is the tach isn't working. My stability track and check engine light is on too. Battery checked out fine. Im used a new crank position sensor and cam sensor swapping the timing cover and timing chain to a gen4 setup. The car starts and runs but what gives? I'm unable to get it tuned until I fix the tach. Even the aeroforce gauge doesn't show any RPM. I'm gonna hook up the HPT and see what the codes are and if it reads any RPM. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2023 | 03:46 PM

Since no one else has chimed in, I'll take a shot.
I assume you are using the original ECU and harness. While the lack of RPM/Tach could be due to a bad Crank Sensor, generally the engine won't start then either.
Still, what color is the crank sensor in your new engine? You might try the crank sensor from the original engine, if available.
Probably not related, but does the new engine have the cam sensor in the front or the back?
Let us know what you learn from HPT.
Old 08-27-2023 | 04:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks. Yes I'm using original harnass from the Camaro. The crank sensor is Grey. The cam sensor is upfront on the Gen4 timing cover. I pulled codes and it shows there is no crank sensor. I checked and it's plugged in so the ECU isn't recognizing the crank sensor. Now the oil level sensor wasn't plugged in so I plugged that in. I read that they have the same type of plug ins. Could the plug ins be crossed when the shop installed the engine? If so I need to crawl under the car and switch the plugs for both sensors to see if that's causing the issue. 🤔
Old 08-27-2023 | 09:41 PM
Teching In

I hooked up HPT and it reads RPM! For some reason the Tach in the car does not.
Old 08-28-2023 | 11:02 AM
7 Second Club
20 Year Member

Tach goes off cam sensor signal and that's also what causes it to start weird since it doesn't sync on the right cylinder, so that's your issue. Wrong cam gear, sensor, wiring, cover, etc. The confusing thing is that you said it's throwing a code for the crank sensor which doesn't make sense.
Old 09-02-2023 | 08:27 PM
Teching In

I replaces the cheap autozone crank sensor with an AC Delco one and car starts and the tach works now. I still have no TCM so that's the next issue to address. I swapped in a 2013 CTSV trans and used the TCM from my original 6L80 to avoid having to flash it but it's not reading the TCM. Everything is plugged in so I might have a break in wiring I'm guessing.

Quick Reply: 5th gen Camaro tach not working after gen3 swap