PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

P2099 Historic Not Clearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default P2099 Historic Not Clearing

I have a 2015 Z28 LS7 with heads, cam, exhaust. The original tuner was lazy and didnt turn off the SES for some of the codes, only the reporting. I have a historic code of P2099 Post Cat fuel trim too rich bank 2. Its been months and thousands of miles (about 4000) and it just wont go away. I know it take 40 cycles to clear, but my cold starts are just rich as hell and 2 tuners so far have failed to fix it. I need this code to go away so my O2 sensor readiness will complete out and I can get my emissions scan done here in Southern MD. What can I do to get rid of this damn code??? I have hptuners, I just dont know how to use it very well.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Are you sure its not showing up as a permeant code?
Old 01-29-2024, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by minytrker
Are you sure its not showing up as a permeant code?
Im under the impression that its the same thing. Permanent code is stopping my O2 readiness cycle to complete. Sensor is functioning normally.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Permanent DTCs and VCM Scanner

What is a Permanent DTC?
Starting in 2009/2010 MY, vehicles now store emission related DTCs as Permanent DTCs. Unlike non-Permanent DTCs, Permanent DTCs can not be cleared by any conventional method like a battery disconnect or via any scan tool. Permanent DTCs will only clear automatically after the module storing the DTC, sees that the problem causing the code has been solved.

Please Note: It may take a few drive cycles for the DTC to clear if the issue causing the DTC is fixed. If the issue causing the DTC is never fixed, the Permanent DTC will never clear.

What does this mean for VCM Scanner?
With the release of VCM Suite 3.0 earlier this year, we have strived to make VCM Scanner the most comprehensive scan tool available and to report as much information as possible to you. This includes reporting Permanent DTCs. All versions of VCM Suite 3.0 or newer will report Permanent DTCs, but like stated above, they can not be cleared by any scan tool, including VCM Scanner. If you see Permanent DTCs being reported in VCM Scanner, it is not a bug, the module storing the DTC just hasn't cleared it yet.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

I understand that. So what do i do to get it to clear?? Have it tuned better? Why is it going rich in the first place? It only has trouble on cold starts with fueling as far as i can tell. It burns the eyes and stumbles a lot
Old 01-29-2024, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yes, it has to be tuned properly for it to clear. Unless you have some sort of actual hardware issue with bad parts causing it to run rich when cold, which is highly unlikely, but possible.

Quick Reply: P2099 Historic Not Clearing