PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF G/Sec Open Loop Higher Than Closed Loop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 173 Posts
Default MAF G/Sec Open Loop Higher Than Closed Loop?

Newbie question here but are the MAF grams per second supposed to be higher in open loop than they are in closed loop? On a cold start mine was reading 11.78 g/sec at idle and after it was in closed loop it got down into the eights. I shut it off a little bit and then went back to check it again. This time the motor was warm and the MAF reading was in the sixes. Is from an 11 to a 6 the normal open loop to closed loop range for a stock ls1 with the stock tune? I’m assuming it’s higher in open loop due to the higher idle speed. Is this correct? Or is that too big of a spread?
While I’m here I’d also like to ask, is a 0.39% TPS reading at idle normal?
Old 05-13-2024, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

It's normal, but open-loop / closed-loop is not what's causing it. As the car gets warmer, the the idle RPM goes down, the oil gets thinner, the spark advances, and the mixture goes from rich to stoich.

All of those help it idle with less airflow. When the AFR reaches stoich the car goes into closed-loop but that's a side-effect, not a cause.

My current and previous engines needed roughly twice as much air for a cold start as for warm idle so it sounds about right to me. So does the throttle position.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
It's normal, but open-loop / closed-loop is not what's causing it. As the car gets warmer, the the idle RPM goes down, the oil gets thinner, the spark advances, and the mixture goes from rich to stoich.

All of those help it idle with less airflow. When the AFR reaches stoich the car goes into closed-loop but that's a side-effect, not a cause.

My current and previous engines needed roughly twice as much air for a cold start as for warm idle so it sounds about right to me. So does the throttle position.
Thanks. That’s good news and bad news for me. I’m having transmission issues and I was hoping it was going to be the MAF or maybe TPS or something like that.

Quick Reply: MAF G/Sec Open Loop Higher Than Closed Loop?