PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Initial timing while tuning the VE

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Initial timing while tuning the VE

So I was getting ready to start tuning my car and was curious about my timing table. I went into my high octane table and I'm pretty sure who ever tuned this before really screwed the timing up or something. I pulled a stock LQ9 which is simular to what I'm running my LQ4 with ls2 pistons and 241 heads that gives me 10.5:1 CR. I'm also running a summit turbo cam with it.

Should I pull all this timing out or just copy over the LQ9 high octane table and then start tuning the VE table,
or juat leave it alone for now and then once the VE is dialed in, worry about the timing. I feep like the starting point is way too high thouh. Im running on pump premium and water/meth injection.

What does everyone else start with before they start tuning the VE with timing?

So heres mine... ive got anywhere between 20 to 35 advance around the idle region. And everything is red

This is the LQ9 stock base tune i ised for reference and felt like this looks alot more like what ive seen for tuning. I havnt started tuning for timing yet but i feel like mine isnt right

Heres the compare overlay. This is a significant difference. Am i just crazy ornis this a legit concern?
Old 08-30-2024, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Personally I start with the stock high octane table, I do copy it to the low octane table, when you fail the MAF, I "believe" it defaults to the low table and it ensures the PCM isn't referencing two tables.

The following users liked this post:
JoshuaGrooms83 (08-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Initial timing while tuning the VE