PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accel Gen 7 Users Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

kp call accel first make sure they are cool with magnecor.. you think truck wires would reach? ill let you borrow my set if they would
Old 09-25-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Overton
Tom like I said call accel...the jest at the end was in response to the names I listed " since my name isnt Dale,John,or Dan.. " not towards the issues brought up..don't read into things so much..I'm sure you can find some delco wires to try...but from your response it must not be that big a issue or you would have questioned it already to whomever installed or tuned your car last...Your car is a another good example however that gen7 works thanks for posting...seems here lately whenever I try to help I end up getting caught in a meat grinder...so I think I'll keep any more info down the road to myself..
I don't know how I put you in a meat grinder Joe. Your right, I read into the the wrong way.

I was suprised at your response because in my original post I never even mentioned your name?? You didn't even come to mind when I was typing. So don't read into things so much

Sorry to hear you are going to keep things to yourself.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:47 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
kp call accel first make sure they are cool with magnecor.. you think truck wires would reach? ill let you borrow my set if they would
Depends how much longer the truck wires are, I would need about 2" more. I am going to order new coil brackets and harnesses from GM (88.00 for everything), snap a pic of the truck wires if you can and if you have the PN let me know. I'm assuming the truck wires work OK?

I dont know why everyone is getting defensive, you input is greatly appreciated Joe. I could really care less about who or what it better at this point, just want to fix the problem with whats on my car now.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tom the roofer
I don't know how I put you in a meat grinder Joe. Your right, I read into the the wrong way.

I was suprised at your response because in my original post I never even mentioned your name?? You didn't even come to mind when I was typing. So don't read into things so much

Sorry to hear you are going to keep things to yourself.
Tom,maybe I'm guilty to..I was more or less in a way saying I would have let you known if there was issue.... no biggie...

JS, no prob and big stuff may be all what they say ,I havnt seen one to compare...to say it does more however, I think is false...
for ex, it will not run a dry n20 in the fashion the gen7 can...but hey what do i know..meanwhile I'll list a few gen7 users on the board ls1/lt1 alike and throw in a ford for good measure since its supposed problems there also ...

mighty mouse ls1 turbo - 9.9's
Hawkin01 cam/head n/a ls1- 10.37
Tom the Roofer ls1 stroker n/a - 9.8's
eastside Performance ls1 stroker,dry n20 - 9.0's
ryan karasek ls1 stroker??? - 9.9's
myself ofcourse lt1 -9.3's
chuck yates ls1 346 forged fogger - 9.89
and for the ford two words
Big Daddy

many others I'm sure of, so the system does work and works well
point is those listed are in the top runners with what they have/had and using a system thats been slammed here repeatedly.. so I'll ask again how many bigstuffIII guys and f.a.s.t. systems are powering ls1's and what times can be put up here to contend "thats still together"
Old 09-25-2004, 04:09 PM
9 Second Club

JS call ken he had gen7 on it before he sold the car...he ran 9.0 with 150 shot less than he did with stock pcm....
Old 09-25-2004, 07:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JS
I think they made the 8.97 pass on stock pcm but u could be right..
No biggie....
yes he ran 8.97 stock pcm ....then with the gen 7 ran 9.00 with half the hit he used on the 8.97 pass...

Originally Posted by js
Seems u dont know enough about Accel to know they hold the patent right to N20 control of DFI.
Meaneys system has MANY I/O's so a multiple Dry or Wet N20 system can be controlled by BSIII
yes i did know hence why i said that...but in the end no matter what tool your using its only as good as the person behind the keyboard..they all do pretty much the same things....

Last edited by Joe Overton; 09-25-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:18 PM
kp
8 Second Club

PSJ ran 10.30s with a FAST

Joe, I have Ryan's old car, he ran 9.90 on a 100 shot with a much smaller cam, tighter converter and a 3.70 gear so he never ran it much over 7K. The car has a larger cam plus more gear and converter now, in my original post I said it was breaking up around 6800 but that was just looking at the tach in the dash, the dynojet RPM with an unlocked converter is useless for RPM and I wasnt logging the dfi. The logs from the track show it starts breaking up right at 7100 or so just to clarify.

I'm going to have the car on the dyno all day next sunday armed with new stock wires, coils and coil harnesses - we'll see what happens.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:27 PM
9 Second Club

KP cool keep us posted...
Old 09-26-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kp
Depends how much longer the truck wires are, I would need about 2" more. I am going to order new coil brackets and harnesses from GM (88.00 for everything), snap a pic of the truck wires if you can and if you have the PN let me know. I'm assuming the truck wires work OK?

I dont know why everyone is getting defensive, you input is greatly appreciated Joe. I could really care less about who or what it better at this point, just want to fix the problem with whats on my car now.
Stock LS1 wires are about 8" long. LS1 truck wires are about 12" long.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:24 AM
kp
8 Second Club

anyone have the GM/Delco part number for the truck wires or at least an exact year/model that I should be looking for, 4" would give me a lot more room to work with with these covers.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Just ask for the 6 liter LS1 truck wires. Don't matter what year. 6 liter
Old 09-26-2004, 01:42 AM
kp
8 Second Club

thanks Tom, I'll try to get a set of delcos.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ac delco 748GG
gm part number 88894393
Old 09-26-2004, 10:06 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
ac delco 748GG
gm part number 88894393
I came up with the 748HH being a little longer, sucks no one around here stocks AC Delco to just look at it

Thanks Dave, with the longer wires I should have no problems with mounting the coil packs - wonder what the difference between the GG and the HH wires are..
Old 09-30-2004, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been paying attention to this thread for some time now, and at this point I think there are some things that need to be clarified.

First off, JS has deleted many of the posts that he included in this thread. The reason for this is because I personally called Dale Cherry and told him that he was being quoted as saying that he is helping Accel to solve a problem with the Gen 7 unit on LS1 engines, and also that it is junk and should be avoided. Dale was rather upset that JS (who he does know) was using his name to circulate FALSE information, and this is, according to Dale, not the first time JS has done this to him. Dale called him and told him to remove any references to his name from this thread, and now they are gone. Given that this has transpired, I can't help but question the validity of ANY statement that JS has made regarding this subject. The sad part of this is that the statements JS made in this thread have actually had a negative impact on our business within this market.

While there are obviously some of our customers that have experienced ignition problems with their Gen 7/LS1 combo, there aren't many at all. This is not meant to diminish the significance of the issue itself, but the point is that there simply isn't some global design issue that makes every one of these systems fail. With only one exception, every person we have personally talked to about this problem has been active in this very thread, so reading about it here paints a pretty bad picture. However, as noted in previous posts, we have worked with one of our customers active in this thread and found that simply changing his plug wires completely cured his problem and got him on his way to nearly 800 RWHP dyno figures. We have other LS1 customers setting records, we have conducted successful field testing to 8000+ RPM, and the vast majority of our LS1 customers are working well. Of those customers having difficulty, we have noticed that the common thread is remote-mounted coils, noisy aftermarket plug wires, or both. We are continuing to work on this, and we are taking this issue very seriously.

For anyone who has been negatively influenced by any of the posts that JS had included in this thread, I sincerely hope you will reconsider the issue, and I would be happy to answer any questions for you on this.

For anyone using a Gen 7 system and experiencing any trouble, please contact me and I will offer you every resource we have available to get you through it.

And lastly, for JS, I would STRONGLY recommend that you stick to what you know instead of what you hear if you will continue to post information about Accel/DFI. I don't know what you stood to gain by posting the information that you did, as you admittedly have no first-hand experience with any of it. And, of course, you may also contact me if you have any questions - I promise I won't tell anyone who you are.

Craig Smith
Accel/DFI R&D
(248) 380-2780
craig.smith@mrgasket.com

Last edited by Craig Smith; 09-30-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:57 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Craig was very helpful on the phone with me, I have the coils in the stock location now, everything is ready to go and I'll hit the track/dyno before sunday.

The only wires I could find that worked were 6.0 litre delco replacements (stock LS1 wires just wont make it) which uses a different wire then the OEM wires so I hope it works OK. I also have brand new coil harnesses as well, the ones on the relocated packs were shortened and spliced so I thought I would replace them with new OE harnesses.

I wish I had more time to mess with it but we'll see what happens this weekend, I have changed nothing except remounting the coils/stock wires and have the metal suppressors on the plug ends so we'll see what happens. After talking to Craig I dont have any doubt they will help me get it fixed, even if it isnt their problem. I'm not sure whats happening is the DFI's fault at all - could be a crank sensor/reluctor problem that a few people have had problems with, even using the stock PCM.

Last edited by kp; 09-30-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:04 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Criag I'm sorry if I caused YOU or ACCEL any harm..
It truelly wasnt my intention and I will NOT post any derogatory remarks again...

Sincerley
JS
Old 09-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Banned

Craig,glad to see your really into helping everybody out to locate and correct the problem. Its nice to see manufactures get involved in problems linked with their products.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Just for your information.

I bought both sets of GM AC Delco truck plug wires.

748GG 10" long

748HH 11 1/4" long

I'm using the 748HH. These will work for my solid roller set up. I am returning the other set.

JFYI my Taylor LS1 truck wires are about an inch or more longer than the longest GM wire mentioned above.

No other info at this time.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Thought I would bring this back up to the top. Thanks to Craig at DFI for really putting forth some effort to get this fixed. The process is a little slower for me since I dont have a ton of time to spend on the car but I am happy that things seem pretty much solved as far as I'm concerned. These guys are serious about getting this 100% fixed so if you are having a problem dont hesitate to call Accel.

Just to clarify, the gen7 ECU and LS1 ignition box are two seperate units. I never had any problems with the ECU or software, I was having the ignition signal drop out at high rpm which has nothing to do with the ECU itself.

They sent me a couple modified LS1 ignition boxes to try, good news is the 71-7200rpm problem is gone with one of the modified boxes. I tried my original box for the first two passes yesterday and it shut off at 7200 like it has been. Did absolutely nothing but unplug one box and plug in the other and the car went right up to the 7600rpm 4 times without any problem so it appears to be a lot better. I'm hoping to try it again later this week with the other box they sent and swap back to the original for a few more passes to make 100% sure its solved.

The car has a few more other issues but this is one of the things I wanted to get fixed first and its looking pretty good right now.

Quick Reply: Accel Gen 7 Users Inside!