Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5X2 tune on a G5X1 cam- lot of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default G5X2 tune on a G5X1 cam- lot of questions

A person in my local fbody club has the exact same mods as myself except for the cam. He has the G5X2, 232/240 I believe, and I have the G5X1, 229/233. Both are on a 112lsa and hopefully the same degree.

I have the home version of LS1 edit. My car runs and idles like crap right now so I am going to copy and download his program onto my car. I was told all n/a cars have standard settings to get the car to idle and run better regardless of the size of the cam (within reason.) So I am mainly going to do this just to get the car to run better until I get it on a wideband dyno. Will the tune be close enough to get the car to idle right and run better (less surging at lower rpms?) It couldn't be worse than it is with a stock tune right? Should I worry about knock retard since his cam might have more timing? How close might I get to a perfect tune= Pretty close or every car is different and it could be way off?

Once I get it on a dyno, for an amateur tuner, approx how many pulls would it take to get it right? After the base tune is in, what/how many other important parameters will need to be dealt with? I'm looking at free dyno tuning through a friend of mine who has basic knowledge of LS1 Edit or paying $350 to have an experienced tuner do it. I figure my friend shouldn't be too bad off considering that we have a close (I hope) base tune to start from. Sorry for being so long winded.... I would appreciate long winded answers and opinions (experienced opinions please). Thanks.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot to add: I will be adding a TNT 100 shot next month.

After I have the car dynotuned on motor, can I just back the timing off 3 to 4 degrees and be good to go?Its not that big of a shot to matter from what I'm hearing.
Will tr-55 plugs gapped at .50 change the tune compared to tr-6 plugs gapped at .33?

I'm so confused. How should I tackle this?