Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissapointed with Hypertech have some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissapointed with Hypertech have some Questions

I just used the power programmer on my 98 Z28 and I must say i'm not all that happy. I did the power programmer changed to the RFG changed my Rev limiter to 6500 also the only thing that I think might have been a problem is I didn't change the Thermo but I changed it on the programmer to the 180 setting. Now my temp doesn't go above 190 which is good but I dont' know if that has anything to do with the car not feeling as powerful. Right now it feels like i'm missing a 1000 Rpms between 3000 and 4000 also it feels like it doesn't have much low end anymore plus it doesn't rev up quickly anymore first to second shift seems to take longer... I don't know need some help please respond if you know
Old 08-27-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grafking
I just used the power programmer on my 98 Z28 and I must say i'm not all that happy. I did the power programmer changed to the RFG changed my Rev limiter to 6500 also the only thing that I think might have been a problem is I didn't change the Thermo but I changed it on the programmer to the 180 setting. Now my temp doesn't go above 190 which is good but I dont' know if that has anything to do with the car not feeling as powerful. Right now it feels like i'm missing a 1000 Rpms between 3000 and 4000 also it feels like it doesn't have much low end anymore plus it doesn't rev up quickly anymore first to second shift seems to take longer... I don't know need some help please respond if you know
step 1... if you're stock valvetrain lower the rev limiter.... 6500 is way too high for stock valvetrain

step 2... remove the hypercrap power programming... if youre car doesn't feel as strong then that's prolly the reason... the hypercrap programming smooths the timing curve , and leans the car out (along w/copying the low octane timing tables to the high octane timing tables) ... your car may have been running a bit on hte lean side from the factory and now could be running even leaner.. which can cause Knock....

Also if you've ported your MAF and applied hpp3 tuning that can cause even more problems cause porting your MAF leans you out (and if you're an auto has an affect on line pressure... a bad affect) ... would be helpful if you posted your sig w/mods and car info
(i'm guessing auto since you said 1-2 shift seems to take longer)

first thing I'd do is restore the car to a 100% stock tune... remove everything... feel peppier? good
Apply all of the changes you did except the Rev Limiter and the HPP3 power programming... still feel good? ok
apply the HPP3 power tuning... feel like **** now? ok that's your problem (I'm guessing that's your problem even before you do any of this... but in order to determine for sure best to do things 1 step at a time....)

Step3 ... get a laptop and HP Tuners , read this forum and www.hptuners.com forum... and learn how to tune your own car (best option... just takes alot more time... I'm still learning as are many on this board)
Old 08-27-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by horist
step 1... if you're stock valvetrain lower the rev limiter.... 6500 is way too high for stock valvetrain

step 2... remove the hypercrap power programming... if youre car doesn't feel as strong then that's prolly the reason... the hypercrap programming smooths the timing curve , and leans the car out (along w/copying the low octane timing tables to the high octane timing tables) ... your car may have been running a bit on hte lean side from the factory and now could be running even leaner.. which can cause Knock....

Also if you've ported your MAF and applied hpp3 tuning that can cause even more problems cause porting your MAF leans you out (and if you're an auto has an affect on line pressure... a bad affect) ... would be helpful if you posted your sig w/mods and car info
(i'm guessing auto since you said 1-2 shift seems to take longer)

first thing I'd do is restore the car to a 100% stock tune... remove everything... feel peppier? good
Apply all of the changes you did except the Rev Limiter and the HPP3 power programming... still feel good? ok
apply the HPP3 power tuning... feel like **** now? ok that's your problem (I'm guessing that's your problem even before you do any of this... but in order to determine for sure best to do things 1 step at a time....)

Step3 ... get a laptop and HP Tuners , read this forum and www.hptuners.com forum... and learn how to tune your own car (best option... just takes alot more time... I'm still learning as are many on this board)
Horist is CORRECT on everything he told you!Dump the Hypercrap programming it is Junk,On my 99 I bet I lost 20 HP or better ,The only thing i used it for was shift points,gear change,and fans on earlier.The HPP3 work great for that...
Old 08-28-2004, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

thanks the car actually seems to be getting stronger the more I drive it. I'm not sure what thats supposed to mean but it's actually getting better. My car is a manual and basically mods are 4.10 gears, thats why I got the Hypertech. I'm thinking of leaving it like this for about a week and if i'm still not happy i'll go back to stock.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does the Hypercrap wipe the learned curve like removing battery power for a few hours does? if so thats what probably caused what he's feeling.