PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you have a bad o2 sensor w/out throwing a code?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Can you have a bad o2 sensor w/out throwing a code?

I'm not sure what is going on here but I have been having a misfire problem.
I have replaced plugs,wires,coil packs,injectors and then the other day I noticed when it is in it's problem mode which is sparatic and not all the time just through out the day, The air to fuel ratio gauge I have hooked up to bank two starts doing all kinds of wierd ****, like not moving at all or every thing lighting up at once or just going crazy basically. My gauge on bank one is acting normal. My misfire according to advance and auto zones scanner is #6 cylinder, I have replaced everything that I listed and still have the problem
when I saw the gauge acting funny this led me to believe it was the wiring that I installed for the gauge especially since it is the gauge that is on the same side as #6 cylinder (bank 2) . To know suprise the wire was freyed and some what melted in different sections. I disconnected the gauge all together
I used the splice connector that speed inc sells so I did not actually splice into the wires,it plugs inbetween the factory harness and the o2 sensor with a purple wire that sicks out for you to hook to. I was wondering could the sensor itself be fried being that the wire was freyed and just not throw a code. The only code I have gotten was just the misfire code and I can't figure out what else to replace.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
I'm not sure what is going on here but I have been having a misfire problem.
I have replaced plugs,wires,coil packs,injectors and then the other day I noticed when it is in it's problem mode which is sparatic and not all the time just through out the day, The air to fuel ratio gauge I have hooked up to bank two starts doing all kinds of wierd ****, like not moving at all or every thing lighting up at once or just going crazy basically. My gauge on bank one is acting normal. My misfire according to advance and auto zones scanner is #6 cylinder, I have replaced everything that I listed and still have the problem
when I saw the gauge acting funny this led me to believe it was the wiring that I installed for the gauge especially since it is the gauge that is on the same side as #6 cylinder (bank 2) . To know suprise the wire was freyed and some what melted in different sections. I disconnected the gauge all together
I used the splice connector that speed inc sells so I did not actually splice into the wires,it plugs inbetween the factory harness and the o2 sensor with a purple wire that sicks out for you to hook to. I was wondering could the sensor itself be fried being that the wire was freyed and just not throw a code. The only code I have gotten was just the misfire code and I can't figure out what else to replace.
Why don't you try swapping your O2 sensors around and see if the problem follows the sensor?
Old 09-05-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by monodax
Why don't you try swapping your O2 sensors around and see if the problem follows the sensor?
Whats the best way to get it out. It seems to be to far up to get anything around the hex area. I tried using robo grips on the round area but it didn't work it just dug into the metal.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Whats the best way to get it out. It seems to be to far up to get anything around the hex area. I tried using robo grips on the round area but it didn't work it just dug into the metal.

I typically use a long 7/8" wrench.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

I typically use a long 7/8" wrench.
Thanks, I'll try that. If anyone else has had a similar problem please chime in
Thanks
Old 09-05-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

I went and got a 7/8 long wrench and I still can't get it to budge. It barley grabs the hex area and if I push to hard it wants to slip off. I'm afraid if I try this to many times it will round it off and then I'll really be screwed. I'm not even sure if this is the problem being I haven't thrown the code so I hate to mess anything up any further.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

I went and got a 7/8 long wrench and I still can't get it to budge. It barley grabs the hex area and if I push to hard it wants to slip off. I'm afraid if I try this to many times it will round it off and then I'll really be screwed. I'm not even sure if this is the problem being I haven't thrown the code so I hate to mess anything up any further.

They also make an O2 sensor socket for a ratchet if you can get it on there. I only used a 7/8" wrench but I have seen the O2 sensor socket in parts stores. It looks like a normal socket with a slot in it for the wire.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

They also make an O2 sensor socket for a ratchet if you can get it on there. I only used a 7/8" wrench but I have seen the O2 sensor socket in parts stores. It looks like a normal socket with a slot in it for the wire.
You learn something new everyday! I really appreciate all your help and thanks again for responding, do you have any Ideas about my misfire or no anyone that might? I'm still pretty new as far as being a member to this site.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Does anyone specificly know if you can fry, damage, short out.... an o2 sensor without it throwing a code?
Old 09-06-2004, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

well you'll throw a code when the o2 sensor is fried

1.race gas = slow fry
2. coolant/oil = medium fry
3. dropping = good chance to fry
4. that thread lube = VERY good chance to fry

if you are dealing with rusty old ****, PB BLAST it, then if that dont work, torch it (no joke). but defo use the socket
Old 09-06-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by samz28
well you'll throw a code when the o2 sensor is fried

1.race gas = slow fry
2. coolant/oil = medium fry
3. dropping = good chance to fry
4. that thread lube = VERY good chance to fry

if you are dealing with rusty old ****, PB BLAST it, then if that dont work, torch it (no joke). but defo use the socket

Thanks, do you think I did any damage to the pcm when the wire got slightly melted and freyed. I know it had to have been getting wet when it rained and possibly grounding out if it was rubbing metal.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, do you think I did any damage to the pcm when the wire got slightly melted and freyed. I know it had to have been getting wet when it rained and possibly grounding out if it was rubbing metal.
if the +12V heater power wire touches the 0-1V o2 signal wire, well thats could be naughty
Old 09-06-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by samz28
if the +12V heater power wire touches the 0-1V o2 signal wire, well thats could be naughty
I used one of these. The only wire that got melted and freyed was the wire that comes out of it. This is the one that you hook your gauge up to. This is the main wire that gives you your readings right? By having damage to this wire and it possibly grounding to metal or getting wet did I do any damage to my cars computer?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Teching In

I've been doing searches on this kinda same problem. I have a air/fuel ratio gauge also and when i first start the car its fine. but when i start to go the gauge will go nuts. it moves really fast. my other problem is that when i come to a stop my car wants to act like its gonna die. No SES light. its a rough idle. not everytime either. i have recently changed plugs and wires (NGK TR55 and MSD wires). I replaced my fuel filter. I tried the idle air control valve. That wasnt the problem either. I'm running out of ideas. I have recently moved from Kentucky to South Texas. So i dont know if the climate change would have that much of a difference on the car.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Tranzaman00, RumbleLS1: I sent you a PM with some info that may give you some insight into your situation.