PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aha. Don't I feel stupid. Tuning fuel trims with and without MAF plugged in...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Theoretically, we should only have to generate one MAF table for use with lids (or at least only one per type), and everybody can use it. As long as they have the same MAF too.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Another_User
There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Theoretically, we should only have to generate one MAF table for use with lids (or at least only one per type), and everybody can use it. As long as they have the same MAF too.

Then you better get that *** a crackin...
Old 09-08-2004, 08:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Then you better get that *** a crackin...

Old 09-08-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been trimming my IFRs to get my LTRIMS in line. I didnt touch the MAF because the curve is non-linear and therefore more prone to variations. My IFR curve is linear and so whatever change I make is across the board.

It makes sense that if you increase the flow of air you should compensate where that air is measured, not the injectors. Yet since my IFR curve is linear it is much easier to adjust that than an exponential curve.

Ive just heard too many stories about people screwing up their MAF table that I am cautious to leave it alone, especially since it had dependencies on my tranny shifts.

Perhaps one day I shall go MAFless and have a crack at VE tuning myself. But right now my car is running well with a MAF. The lure of more throttle response is appealing though.

My MAF takes a tenth or two to register sudden air changes and by that time I have already started pinging. Furthermore, planting the foot generates a little hesitation with a MAF.

Perhaps when I get a cam.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Launching!

holy crap, where should i go for this thread to be broken down in laymans terms, i am new to this hptuners, in fact i just busted off my new engine for the first time last night and havent had time to modify the vcm much at all so i need to learn where should i go to get this broken down it all seems like french to me i dont understand but about a quarter of what you guys are saying. please inform me of where i should start so i can leave you guys that know your shizzle alone. thanks. anyone is welcome to pm me and let me know so i can leave this thread alone. sorry if i screwed it up.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fozziejared
holy crap, where should i go for this thread to be broken down in laymans terms, i am new to this hptuners, in fact i just busted off my new engine for the first time last night and havent had time to modify the vcm much at all so i need to learn where should i go to get this broken down it all seems like french to me i dont understand but about a quarter of what you guys are saying. please inform me of where i should start so i can leave you guys that know your shizzle alone. thanks. anyone is welcome to pm me and let me know so i can leave this thread alone. sorry if i screwed it up.
The HPTuners forum is a good place to start. Sounds like you need to do some research before you dive into the deeper water. Knowing what does what before you being tuning will make your life so much easier.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum

Just think of it as fuel, air and spark. Spark is a no brainer since it is either there or it aint. Fuel and air is where you tune your engine.

The MAF reads volume of air. More air requires more fuel to maintain an air-fuel (AFR) ratio of 14.7. The computer maintains this under non-WOT conditions. So if you scale your fuel injectors down the computer thinks you have smaller injectors so will dump more fuel. Alternatively if you scale up your MAF or add to the VE table you are adding more air so the computer compensates by adding more fuel. Its a reciprocal relationship. What you take/add from one you add/take from the other. Tuning is all about getting that ratio right.

If you still dont folllow I suggest you use the HPTuners forum as a learning resource. Kniow what you are doing before you start playing. It can mean the difference between pain and happiness.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Launching!

yeah, thanks a lot man, i am on the hptuners forum info is just kind of slow on there though. thanks.