PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get my laptop to talk with my car.(help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can't get my laptop to talk with my car.(help)

Anyone besides me not able to get atap to connect to the car? I've installed atap on my Sony viso laptop and it has WinMe. It keeps telling me "lost Communication" Any ideas? The little light on the serial to usb adapter won't light up. Since I'm using a serial to usb adapter the pc knows something is plugged in but it can't find the drivers. How do I install them manually?
Old 09-11-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk
Anyone besides me not able to get atap to connect to the car? I've installed atap on my Sony viso laptop and it has WinMe. It keeps telling me "lost Communication" Any ideas? The little light on the serial to usb adapter won't light up. Since I'm using a serial to usb adapter the pc knows something is plugged in but it can't find the drivers. How do I install them manually?
If your PC says the driver's are not installed correctly that is very likely your problem. To manually install go into Device Manager by double clicking on System in the Control Panel. Locate the USB RS232 adapter with a conflict and double click for properties of the adapter. Click on the driver tab and select the update driver option. Let Windows search for the latest drivers. Windows will not find a better driver then the one you are using but it will allow you to choose a driver from another location. You will want to choose a driver from another location then choose the driver from the Win98 directory (not the Win95 directory). After it loads this driver your system will ask to reboot. After you reboot your system it will ask you for the disk, use your browse button and browse to the Win98 directory on your CD ROM drive. After it loads this driver the adapter should be installed correctly.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I do that if I have windows ME?
Old 09-11-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk
Can I do that if I have windows ME?

You can if your CD does not contain a Windows ME directory for the drivers. Usually they contain Win2k,XP and Win95,98. Windows ME is just a glorified "service pack" for "Windows 98 SE" so the driver's are identical. Just do not select Win2k or XP unless it specifically says to do this in your manual as some cards have one setup for all operating systems.