PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stumbled and guages zeroed when driving???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question *update*Car stumbled and guages zeroed when driving???

I was driving really easy a little while ago and the car started stumbling really bad. I check the guages and they all zeroed out, then immediately came back up. The car started to run fine again right after the guages registered again. Any ideas of what this could be?

***UPDATE***
Here's an update. I was wrong when I said all the guages zeroed. Yesterday and today it did it again and today it was really bad. But it was only the temp guage that went to zero not all like I said before. It stayed like this for about two miles. It would sputter, miss and idle at about 2k, then out of nowhere it straightened up. I messed around with the temp sending unit as it seemed like the culprit and it hasn't acted up again. Does anyone have any ideas besides the ones that are already posted?

Last edited by 99ZEOD; 09-28-2004 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99ZEOD
I was driving really easy a little while ago and the car started stumbling really bad. I check the guages and they all zeroed out, then immediately came back up. The car started to run fine again right after the guages registered again. Any ideas of what this could be?

Almost sounds like a battery/ground problem ... check all your battery connections/cable and ground to ensure a nice clean connection without any corrosion
Old 09-27-2004, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

did this happen during accleration? that happened to me twice at the track. battery holddown tray broke on the backside closest to headlight. when i launched, the battery rolled backwards, resulting in the positive cable hitting the AC accumulator bracket. thus shorting the electrical system. couldn't figure it out at first. kept hearing a thunking noise everytime i floored it. thought i broke the subframe and was pinching the wiring harness shorting out the guages. glad it wasn't that. check for a burn mark on the shiny canister thingy (accumulator) bracket just about 6" from the positive cable terminal on the battery.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This happened to a customer of mine. He found that the PCM connections were full of corosion. Pull the PCM connectors and check to see if there is a white powder in there. They are gold connections so there should not be a problem but just passing this possibility along. Once he cleaned the PCM connections, all was fine.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

TTT...please read update above.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:27 AM
TECH Regular

anybody?
Old 09-29-2004, 06:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the temp sending unit in the drivers side head can cause that symptom. Mine did it after I cracked mine doing a plug change. I think it was like 25 bux from a dealer
Old 09-29-2004, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrr23
did this happen during accleration? that happened to me twice at the track. battery holddown tray broke on the backside closest to headlight. when i launched, the battery rolled backwards, resulting in the positive cable hitting the AC accumulator bracket. thus shorting the electrical system. couldn't figure it out at first. kept hearing a thunking noise everytime i floored it. thought i broke the subframe and was pinching the wiring harness shorting out the guages. glad it wasn't that. check for a burn mark on the shiny canister thingy (accumulator) bracket just about 6" from the positive cable terminal on the battery.
Sorry to hijack, but the same exact thing happened to me at the track. It took me forever to find it but I did.

99ZEOD - when this happens does the trip odometer and clock radio reset? If so, it sounds like a short from the main or auxillary positive cable.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

BLKTA- The only guage affected was the temp.

I'm pretty sure it was just a bad connection with the temp sending unit. After I played around with it, it hasn't done it again.