Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1edit vs HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
haha very funny. Figured since this thread is active that people would actually respond with an answer to the question that i stated above in my last post. NO DISCUSSIONs have been made about the latest updates in ls1edit and hptuners.

lata

The latest version of HP Tuners is more than just a minor release. They could have named it version 2.0 and it would have been a better fit than just a minor release. It has fixed all the issues with 1.4, and added so many new features that I keep finding them as I use it and haven't had any issues using the software. Now a lot of users are like me, They have been using the software on their desktop/laptop and tweaking their bin file (Utilizing the new features) waiting on their cable to come in as most people sent theirs off the minute HP Tuners announced that you could upgrade the cable last week. Mine should be in tomorrow (Wed) so I will be able to update my VCM and connect my wideband and disable my LTFTs so I can dial in my tune using the STFT's and my wideband. (This is another feature that Edit is lacking, among the other 100).

But honestly if their is something that you found in the latest version (1.5) that you feel may be a bug I would post it on their forums in the bug section and they will respond ASAP. It may be user error or it could be a valid issue. They will let you know either way and generally send you a fix as soon as they can as long as it is something that is supposed to be their but doesn't work.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by superdve
HPtuners software is buggy with lots of crashes from my experience and I have trouble trying to use a USB adapter with my Compaq. I'd go with LS1EDIT for right now unless you can wait for something better to come along. I hear that it wont be long.
It is known that most USB -> Serial Adapters are flaky by design. I would never re-flash a PCM using one as I know first hand what can happen as it has happened to me using other software. There was a bug that was in 1.3, were the flashing application crashed but it was only under very unusual circumstances. This has been corrected long ago. I would be interested in knowing the version and what you did to create this scenario to make it crash?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i use HPT w/ a IO GEAR usb to serial adapter w/ ZERO problems.

I use my HP tuners a lot too.

Dave
Old 11-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by monodax
It is known that most USB -> Serial Adapters are flaky by design. I would never re-flash a PCM using one as I know first hand what can happen as it has happened to me using other software. There was a bug that was in 1.3, were the flashing application crashed but it was only under very unusual circumstances. This has been corrected long ago. I would be interested in knowing the version and what you did to create this scenario to make it crash?
I don't know, I gave up and used my old HP with serial port.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had EDIT for 2 years now and i've gotten pretty used to it. I've played around with HPT and like it better for it's scan tool and i like how you can reset the Ltrims. And for obvious reasons like it not being locked to 1 VIN#.

Den
Old 11-02-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

i have read both user guides (ls1edit, and hptuners) and the kicker is i have seen ls1edit before, since a good friend of mine (kelly strickland, C3 Denali @10.91 w/5500lbs does tuning a lot for his cars. I'm more familiar with ls1edit and i find the guide more useful in edit. i don't find that much information in hptuners userguide; from that im not going to make my judgement about buying either product for obvious reasons, the guides are probably not complete yet; aka coming soon... in some sections.

The SCAN tool is an awesome feature of hptuners. that really is a deciding factor to me. I'm going to ride this one out and keep looking around at everything. No matter what i get More Performance is tuning my car with ls1edit, and either program can read what was wrote to the pcm. It boils down to, in my case, what i want to use to see what has been done and maybe change a little using whichever tuning software i go with.

Thanks yall.
LS1Tech is da bomb.
Peace
Stephen
Old 11-03-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm shocked you find the LS1 Edit guide better. I don't know if they've revised it in the last two years or not but when it came out the guide was HORRIBLE. Hardly any info and their reasoning was liability.

Check out the HP Tuners' forum. What's not covered in their guide yet will most likely be covered in the forum and if you still don't find what you're looking for, post your question. The HP Tuners team is first-class and are very active in the forum. They do all they can to help out their customers, something Carputing isn't know for.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

And one last thing, HP Tuners is a LS1Tech sponsor and Carputing isn't. What does that tell you about which one supports the LSX community?

HP Tuners
Old 11-03-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

i DO like HPTuners. I'm still doing some searching and finding stuff out. several friends of mine recommend hptuners.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've only got about a year of LS1-Edit under my belt. I skipped the initial release of HPT to let them flesh out the feature set. However, my HPT 1.5 with the EIO cable will be here tomorrow.

I personally don't care for the **** tactics employed by Carputing to license their software and allow the software to be re-sold by owners. Poor support, slow bug release schedule, horribly non-standard Windows interface, a MODERATED discussion list so they can approve messages before they are posted, and buggy scanner software.

The pro tuners probably already have a huge investment in the LS1-Edit licensing, and I'm told the pricing tiers for them to migrate to HPT are even steeper.

You can use a spoon or a fork to eat soup. The fork will just make it a bit more tedious.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

For those of us who know some programming of some sort (visual basic, C++) ls1edit is very understandable. hell, i saw it for the first time when my friend was using it and i actually understood it; it depends all on how you think. but yeh i have noticed that hptuners will help you with any problem you have and it doesn't take long to get a reply.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
For those of us who know some programming of some sort (visual basic, C++) ls1edit is very understandable. hell, i saw it for the first time when my friend was using it and i actually understood it; it depends all on how you think. but yeh i have noticed that hptuners will help you with any problem you have and it doesn't take long to get a reply.
Im a developer for a major corperation and I picked up on hptuners better
Old 11-04-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Edit and wish I would have never seen HP tuners. It is all I can do to not chuck Edit. I absolutely hate it now. I am waiting on EFI Live to release there new flash scan interface and see how that works. Either way, I will be ditching my Edit for a better product.