Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPtuners + Hybrid = confused.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HPtuners + Hybrid = confused.

I need a little help from you guys. First, the car is a 89RS with a 99LS1. I'm trying to get the Hptuners hooked up with the PCM via a laptop with no success so far. I keep getting the "cable not found" message at the bottom when I try to connect. I have no OBDII female port yet, so I'm using small female connectors attached to the pins for now. I have 12V to pin16, pins 4&5 are grounded and pin2 is connected to PCM pin58 (serial data). I assume that is right?

The HPtuner cables (1 then the little black box then the other) connect to the serial port on the back of the laptop. I think my problem is somewhere in the laptop. I changed the port settings down to 4, after they were on 16 and still no go. How can I tell that the HPtuners program is using the serial port? What am I missing here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Rick
Old 11-10-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StngKlr
I need a little help from you guys. First, the car is a 89RS with a 99LS1. I'm trying to get the Hptuners hooked up with the PCM via a laptop with no success so far. I keep getting the "cable not found" message at the bottom when I try to connect. I have no OBDII female port yet, so I'm using small female connectors attached to the pins for now. I have 12V to pin16, pins 4&5 are grounded and pin2 is connected to PCM pin58 (serial data). I assume that is right?

The HPtuner cables (1 then the little black box then the other) connect to the serial port on the back of the laptop. I think my problem is somewhere in the laptop. I changed the port settings down to 4, after they were on 16 and still no go. How can I tell that the HPtuners program is using the serial port? What am I missing here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Rick
It sounds like you are using a USB-Serial Adapter if your serial port is on COM16. Those type of adapters put the serial port way up sometimes. You did right by moving it down to a lower port number especially 1-4. The only way to really tell if it your adapter is to use another laptop or bring your Desktop PC out if it has a real serial port and try to connect it. Also try connecting your cable's power after you turn the key on for a few seconds. Also ensure you have all the pins connected and you have 12 volts on the +12 pin and a good ground that is grounded to your VCM.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply. I want to add that I'm using the cables and box that come supplied with the HPtuners kit. I'm not using a USB/Serial adapter. Now, the laptop I have has (2) USB ports on the back, one I use for the mouse, the other for 3 1/4 floppy drive. I think the cables I have should work, just maybe the settings in the laptop are screwed up. I dunno????????????? I'll try connecting power after I turn the key on for a few seconds.

Thanx,
Rick
Old 11-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Launching!

I jacked around with this today for about an hour, still nothing. I guess I need to take a basic computer night course at the community college or something. I'm doing good to attach a pic. to an email, anymore than that and I'm screwed. As if the tranny problems arent enough, now this. There is no end in sight I guess. Anyone, please, I'm begging.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You want to be using a real serial port, I guess this
is the case? Real serial ports have low default COM #s
that HPTuners should autodetect. But autodetect
wants the OBD-II port to be "live". I would start there,
make sure the OBD-II "kludge" has power and signals
where it should. On F-bodies the OBD-II port has
power fed from the cig lighter fuse, this wire needs
to be hot to run the interface box. You might be well
off to go get a junkyard OBD-II receptacle off a
Camaro wreck and wire it proper, having some flaky
clip-wire setup is just one more thing to wonder about.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Yeah I'm gonna go try to fina a OBDII port somewhere today, but I have verified that the 4 connections are good with a voltmeter about 10 times now. I've also continuity tested the PCM blue 58 wire and its good. Does anyone know what pins from the OBDII male conncetor match the other end of the 9 pin serial connector on the HPtuners cable(s)? I think maybe there is a problem with them. Its the last thing to check so...

Thanks for the reply,
Rick
Old 11-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Ahh WTF. Alright tested the laptop/cable/hptuners on a 2000 Z28 and everything worked flawlessly. So I figure something is wrong with my wiring. Left from there to go home and forgot about testing his OBDII port on his car to see which pin has 12V. Alright, lets see if the 95 LT1 bird is the same, it is, tested the port with a DVM and found out that pin16 that gets 12V is not directly underneath pin1, its all the way over on the other side (not like what I read in another old post on here). So I switched the pins and there you go. Crap I lost alot of sleep over something that simple... Live and learn I guess.

Oh well, now its time to figure out why I get codes P0740, P0785 and P1860. I'm prepared for it to be something simple so I can do some more

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure I'll need some more soon though.lol
Old 11-13-2004, 05:03 AM
FormerVendor

sounds like an interesting project!

Feel free to email us at support@hptuners.com if you have any more probs along the way.

Cheers,

Chris...
Old 11-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Thanks man. I dont know where I would be without it right now. In just a few minutes of having it working I narrowed down all of my tranny problems to a 22.00 VSS sensor. All the codes came from a bad relay, replaced it and no more codes. Now its time to do some real tuning. IMHO the software is worth every penny.