PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's using LS1Edit or HPtuners w/ a Toshiba laptop???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who's using LS1Edit or HPtuners w/ a Toshiba laptop???

I have both programs right now (borrowing HPtuners), and come to find out this stupid *** laptop of mine (Toshiba Satellite) does not have a plug in port that matches the cord for either programs.

Both programs came with a 9 pin male/female ext. cord...the friggin plug on my computer is female 15 pin!!!
I went ahead and got a female to female adapter...but that is when I discovered that the plug on my computer is a 15 pin...

Now WTF am I going to do?!?!? Stupid laptop.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

LOL....wow that sucks......

my Fujitsu only had USB ports so I went and got a Serial Card (the card plugs in and then has a short 6" cord that plugs into the LS1Edit cable) that I could put in the slot where you would put a wireless network card (I want to say PCI card port but can't remember) and then set that "port" to be "port #1" so LS1Edit could tune through it......that cleared up my problem...
Old 11-14-2004, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Unfortunately most laptops don't come with serials ports or floppy drives anymore. It's old technology. My Toshiba doesn't have a serial port either.

So your choices are:

USB to Serial adaptor cable. The cable is USB on one end which connects to a USB port on your laptop. On the other end of the cable is a serial connector. It connects to the EFI,HP or Edit module.

The other choice is a PMCIA card which plugs into the PCMCIA slot as explained in the other post.

Some USB cables work better than others. Do a search for opinions on USB cables which give the best performance. USB cables are cheaper than PCMCIA cards.

The PCMCIA card at the site below is the card recommended by LSEdit in lieu of not having a serial port. I use it instead of a USB serial adaptor cable. IMO it gives better performance and data tranmission is much faster. But it's kind of pricey.

http://www.quatech.com/catalog/rs232_pcmcia.php

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-14-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Toshiba/HP Tuners user here. I was pissed when I first realized this too. I ended up going to Best Buy and getting the serial to USB adapter for $35. It sucks to have to do that but I haven't had a single problem with it, plugged it in and started logging.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

i am using a 2 year old toshiba satellight. it has the serial port though so im good- your only option is to buy the serial-usb adapter.

everything is going usb now.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
The other choice is a PMCIA card which plugs into the PCMCIA slot as explained in the other post.

thats what I was thinking of........thats how I did my setup.....it costs more than I would like but works like a champ......
Old 11-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks guys!

I do actually have the a serial port...a 15pin monitor port, and a 25pin printer port. I found out today that the 15pin port wont work, as it supposedly is only an "out" source...and soo I got a 9 male to 25 male adapter and I am about to go test it out right now!!

Yay!