PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HPTuners Pricing Structure Announced!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats Awesome!! Question: If you get the software for two vehicles, can you download a program that you come up with for one vehicle type to the other? Example: I have an 01 SS, my buddy has an 02. Can I write a program that works great for mine, then load the same file into his? Or would you need to do it twice? Either way, will be ordering as soon as $$$ is avail.
Thanks!!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SStillSSmokin
Thats Awesome!! Question: If you get the software for two vehicles, can you download a program that you come up with for one vehicle type to the other? Example: I have an 01 SS, my buddy has an 02. Can I write a program that works great for mine, then load the same file into his? Or would you need to do it twice? Either way, will be ordering as soon as $$$ is avail.
Thanks!!

I would advise against this as there may be some bits and bytes that have changed between the years some calibrations may be in different memory locations...

Best thing to do is dload both programs and manually enter all the data
Old 11-15-2004, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by emarkay
Seems also strange that once EFIlive announced pricing therre was a scramble to make some "adjustments" there at HPT. I guess a whole new set of efficient features were added that allowed such a change in pricing, eh:

Oh well....
That was my observation as well. Until FlashScan was announced, there was not much incentive to be competetive.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mistermike
That was my observation as well. Until FlashScan was announced, there was not much incentive to be competetive.

Thats business fellas either step up to the plate and offer attractive deals to compete or get eaten alive by the competition
Old 11-15-2004, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks HumpinSS! Just something I had beeen wondering about that I hadn't seen discussed.Your answer makes sense!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SStillSSmokin
Thanks HumpinSS! Just something I had beeen wondering about that I hadn't seen discussed.Your answer makes sense!

Come to think of it i dont even think the software will let ou do that as they have programmed some checks and balances
Old 11-15-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
LS1 Edit costs a lot more. I spent a lot too for my HP Tuners, but I am very happy with it.

How much $$$ did you make using it in the past 5 months. My guess is that you didn't buy it to just help buddies out.

A break for some customers would be nice but be realistic. I was a tad upset after I got my 2001 SS, 2 months later GM had better financing and a $1,000 rebate.

If you always wait for the better deal, you'll be waiting for a very long time as technology and prices always change.
I don't own a shop. I don't run a business. I did buy it to give local people a very affordable alternative to expensive PCM editing. I've made less than 1/2 my investment so your guess is wrong.

I was lead to believe by correspondence with HPTuners that there was value in purchasing their Pro version over the regular version that made it worth the substantial price increase. That I would have features that others would not have without spending the large amount that I did. That the large price increase over the standard version allowed me to have more than 2 vehicles on 1 cable and software package that the standard version did not allow. That value is now gone along with any resale value my investment had. Just seems like poor business practices not to protect the value that their prior customers purchases along with their product. To their future customers, I'm glad you are getting a great tuning tool for so little money. But there are ways they could compensate their prior customers who took a chance on a new unproven product and helped launch a new company, that would not cost them anythin out of pocket and would retain the goodwill that thay had established.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I don't own a shop. I don't run a business. I did buy it to give local people a very affordable alternative to expensive PCM editing. I've made less than 1/2 my investment so your guess is wrong.

I was lead to believe by correspondence with HPTuners that there was value in purchasing their Pro version over the regular version that made it worth the substantial price increase. That I would have features that others would not have without spending the large amount that I did. That the large price increase over the standard version allowed me to have more than 2 vehicles on 1 cable and software package that the standard version did not allow. That value is now gone along with any resale value my investment had. Just seems like poor business practices not to protect the value that their prior customers purchases along with their product. To their future customers, I'm glad you are getting a great tuning tool for so little money. But there are ways they could compensate their prior customers who took a chance on a new unproven product and helped launch a new company, that would not cost them anythin out of pocket and would retain the goodwill that thay had established.
I completely understand where your coming from but 2 weeks ago when they came out with the pricing for the enhanced unit everybody was up in arms...especially people that hadnt bought hptuners at all yet...i think this makes 99% of thos people eat their words and i sure welcome it. For most tuners at this point shouldve made their money back for the program figure $400X10 tunes =4000 if you invested that much you really shouldve made sure you were gonna have the buisness at least from my point of view...otherwise even with the old pricing you couldve done $1000 for every 2 licenses or $2500 total for every year fbody.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

otherwise even with the old pricing you couldve done $1000 for every 2 licenses or $2500 total for every year fbody.
HPTuners said that I would be uninstalling and reinstalling software and using a different cable every time I would want to change to a vehicle not supported on the 2 vehicle cable. I specifically asked them why the price jumped from $900 to $3000 when you added that 3rd vehicle and that was their answer.

And if you can get $400 for a tune around here, how much of that do you think the dyno shop gets. This has nothing to do with if and when I ever break even on my investment. It has to do with being sold value, then loosing it.

Last edited by 2xLS1; 11-15-2004 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
HPTuners said that I would be uninstalling and reinstalling software and using a different cable every time I would want to change to a vehicle not supported on the 2 vehicle cable. I specifically asked them why the price jumped from $900 to $3000 when you added that 3rd vehicle and that was their answer.

And if you can get $400 for a tune around here, how much of that do you think the dyno shop gets. This has nothing to do with if and when I ever break even on my investment. It has to do with being sold value, then loosing it.
Don't take this the wrong way but maybe you should of did some more homework before you decided to spend that kind of money.

If you bought it with the intention to help other people get affordable tuning in your area, great, but since you don't have a shop or have your own business, did anyone pay you up front to help out your expenses? Since your not a shop, why did you get the PRO version anyways, I couldn't find a good reason when I bought mine.

I did something real similar to what you did, help others out with affordable tuning.

I bought all the F-Body years (3 cables), but I spent just over $2,000, I got the STD version. I had 4 people in our car club that needed a tune and was going to buy LS1 Edit. Since they didn't know how to tune, I made them a deal. I had 4 people pay me up front then I ordered the HP Tuner. Yes I did have to put up a lot of my own money but not $4,000...

Are you in good with a dyno shop? I am and that was a major deciding factor for me to do this.

Since I have 3 cables all I had to do was install each program in a different location on the Hard Drive instead of the default location, works perfect everytime.

It's all water under the bridge now...
Old 11-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Restricted User

I would love to have them add the second vehicle for me. Heck I ordered it and they had my money for a month before I finally received it. I have only had it for a few weeks. Hell most stores will give you the difference if they sell something and it goes on sale for less withing a timeframe. I think Circuit City does it and they call it Price Protection... I am not asking for anything more, just what the current offerings of adding my secong vehicle...
Old 11-15-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes I am good friends with an owner of a shop that has a Dyno.

This is directly from an email Keith sent me:

The standard is limited to 2 vehicle types per cable/software combo.

Every cable is locked to the software CD it came with so if you where to buy
several cables, you would be juggling software CD's every time you wanted to
use that particular cable, then you would also be juggling accounts with us
and the customer login for future updates. Every time you have an issue or
need help with a vehicle that is acting strange we then have to figure out
which software installation you are using and then go from there. It's much
easier and I always recomend all tuners start off with the standard package
of 1-2 vehicle types to determine if they like the package. If you like it,
then upgrade to the tuner package and keep all your support on the 1 cable.

Every vehicle type you add once you are a pro-tuner is only $399. Every
cable you purchase starts off at $499. As you can see, in the long run the
pro-tuner package is not only cheaper, but it is also a lot more convenient.

Again, this has nothing to do with me recovering the money I spent on HPTuners. It has to do with how a company treats it's customers that purchased it's product and what was told them to convince them to buy their product.

This will be my last post on this matter. I am curious as to what, if any, comments the owners of HPTuners have to say because in the long run, that's all that matters.

Last edited by 2xLS1; 11-15-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

I am pretty pissed as well , bought HPtuners 2 weeks ago , they never told me at the time threy were about to release it so I could have 2 licencses and the p[ro suite.
Now I have to pay a extra $199 to get what a new customer gets .

GRRR GRRR GRR

Just as well I wasnt a workshop that spent big and now has it thrown in their face , I can only say I know how it feels
Old 11-15-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is a win win pricing scheme but some seem to have problems seeing it... regardless of when anything was purchased... at the time the agreement was xxx for yyy ... I and many others bought it... and at the time I was extremely happy with my HPT...

and guess what I'm still happy w/my HPT ... and now it's cheaper for me to add a license on... when I bought my cable 6 months ago I agreed to the 399 licensing increase fee... now they've dropped it to 199... makes me pretty happy The upgrade price is now cheaper than the price I agreed that I was willing to pay for the HPT cable and software...

I bought my GTP a year ago, now I could get it for 4K less than I paid a year ago... but something tells me GM won't be refunding any money ... I bet if I wait a year 04 GTPs will be selling for even less... but if I looked at it that way... the waiting game would last forever...
Old 11-15-2004, 07:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the only thing i dont get is, and i didnt notice this till now, is why are the first few additional $199 then the 5th license is $399? To me this seems illogical considering a person could just buy another unit for ~$650 with 2 licenses on it already=$325 per license and then get another 2 for a total of $398. I say just do each additional at $199 personally as everyone and their mother knows this will save them $150 once the time comes for a couple more licenses
Old 11-15-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I really like my HP Tuner Editor/Scanner.... Much cheaper than LS1 Edit, no matter how you look at it...
Old 11-16-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by foff667
the only thing i dont get is, and i didnt notice this till now, is why are the first few additional $199 then the 5th license is $399? To me this seems illogical considering a person could just buy another unit for ~$650 with 2 licenses on it already=$325 per license and then get another 2 for a total of $398. I say just do each additional at $199 personally as everyone and their mother knows this will save them $150 once the time comes for a couple more licenses

Interesting. I have thought of that as well. But, do you want to have that many cables?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

Guys,

What can we say except the basic truth? Firstly, 2 weeks ago we didn't know we were going to restructure the pricing and secondly, if we did have a magic crystal ball, we certainly didn't know to what level and anything on the structure or timing. Under the old pricing we were told by many tuners that it was extremely attractive (compared to the competition at the time) and well structured to suit most of their cashflow preference of pay-as-you go. The idea being that the first tune effectively pays for the license then everything on that is profit (not too many other tools a tuner buys have that kind of ROI). We even had a number of tuners justify a complete switchout due to timesavings alone on not having to bench program the PCMs (or return to base for PCM removal and reflash when out on the street refining driveability).

We went into this pricing thing knowing we can't please everybody and we have to draw the line somewhere. Inevitably this leads to tradeoffs, where you can only hope that the majority of people are happy and not too many people are unhappy.

As has been mentioned, when we did the EIO update we had the reverse scenario where people who "waited" for EIO paid an extra $75 and those existing customers got a deal. Again, we had some unhappy people and some happy.

We are trying our best to keep a balance and we are not intentionally trying to disadvantage anyone or favor others.

Having said that, i think everyone in the LS1 community would agree the events of the last day or so have dramatically changed the landscape and accessability of tuning products for everyone.

Chris...
Old 11-16-2004, 09:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by HC02SS
Interesting. I have thought of that as well. But, do you want to have that many cables?
doing it that way would save you $550 for every 4 cars...with 2 cables you could just hold 8 car/years total...for most dyi tuners thats about the max they'd do more then likely anywayz...i think i could juggle 2 cables for a total of 8 cars
Old 11-16-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Billiumss
LS1 Edit costs a lot more. I spent a lot too for my HP Tuners, but I am very happy with it.

How much $$$ did you make using it in the past 5 months. My guess is that you didn't buy it to just help buddies out.

A break for some customers would be nice but be realistic. I was a tad upset after I got my 2001 SS, 2 months later GM had better financing and a $1,000 rebate.

If you always wait for the better deal, you'll be waiting for a very long time as technology and prices always change.
Yes, but the product is the same as it was last week and the people who supported the company by purchasing the PRO version, are now getting the shaft and the ones sitting on the fence, are getting a deal, mostly because of the news that TunerCAT and Flashscan are about to be released. And if your 2001 SS was 32,000 a few months ago or even last week, and now it is being sold new for 9,000, you would be more than a "tad upset". Mostly the problem is how the product was sold, it was advertised as if you were going to buy more than 2 you had to purchase the PRO version. So if someone thought they may need more than 2 in the future, maybe they spent the money upfront even if they had no use for more than 1 or 2 right now. Now, after the sale, the rules change. And even a greedy mother f****r like Bill Gates gives a discount to an existing customer, as do most software companys. And in this case a discount is not the problem, just give the same treatment would be nice.