PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about HPtuners and "Locked" PCM.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about HPtuners and "Locked" PCM.

Ok, I have 99-2002 Fbody HPtuners. So today I drive down and meet a guy who has a LS1 conversion in a 2002 S10 truck. The engine and drivetrain are 2002, but the PCM is a 1999. When he had the conversion done, he sent the PCM to a place called Street and Performance or something like that. Well, it will barely run and the tune is way off, so I was going to tune it for him. I connect up my laptop and go to VCM FLASH, I clicked on the "GET VCM ID" button and it came up with all the ID numbers.. except where there is a BCC:____ in that box, after BCC: it read "yyyy" and then when I tried to read the PCM it said something along the lines of "security access denied" or something similiar and wouldn't let me read the PCM. I can connect up to the PCM and scan/log.. but it won't let me read it. Could the place that did his mail order tune have "locked" the PCM? How can I tell for sure? I told him that I "think" if he went to a GM dealer with a 2002 VIN they would reflash his PCM to stock 2002 specs into the 99 PCM.. can they do that? I have a 2002 VIN he can use. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: after going over a few notes I wrote while I was down there today, it was giving me "Security Access Denied-Invalid Autorization Code"

Last edited by gomer; 11-30-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gomer
Ok, I have 99-2002 Fbody HPtuners. So today I drive down and meet a guy who has a LS1 conversion in a 2002 S10 truck. The engine and drivetrain are 2002, but the PCM is a 1999. When he had the conversion done, he sent the PCM to a place called Street and Performance or something like that. Well, it will barely run and the tune is way off, so I was going to tune it for him. I connect up my laptop and go to VCM FLASH, I clicked on the "GET VCM ID" button and it came up with all the ID numbers.. except where there is a BCC:____ in that box, after BCC: it read "yyyy" and then when I tried to read the PCM it said something along the lines of "security codes denied" or something similiar and wouldn't let me read the PCM. I can connect up to the PCM and scan/log.. but it won't let me read it. Could the place that did his mail order tune have "locked" the PCM? How can I tell for sure? I told him that I "think" if he went to a GM dealer with a 2002 VIN they would reflash his PCM to stock 2002 specs into the 99 PCM.. can they do that? I have a 2002 VIN he can use. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Did he hook the BCC up completely when he did the conversion?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

i would e-mail chris@hptuners and see what the deal is. maybe he has a solution. worst case scenario the guy has to get another ecu...
Old 11-30-2004, 09:33 PM
FormerVendor

If you have the pro version you can flash it with a completely new program and start from scratch
Old 11-30-2004, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by monodax
Did he hook the BCC up completely when he did the conversion?
I know this is a stupid question, but what is the BCC, I know it stands for Broadcast Code...? Here's a screenshot of when I get the VCM ID's off my car. Where my BCC has "DJZX" his has just "yyyy". How can I fix this and can he have just any year model LS1 FBody PCM flashed to a 2002 Fbody program? The error code it gives me is "Security access denied- Invalid authorization code"

Last edited by gomer; 11-30-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:32 PM
FormerVendor

You can flash it to whatever year you have support for and you will have to start from scratch. If the PCM is a 99+ it will take any program from 99 and up
Old 12-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Bump to see the outcome.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:43 PM
FormerVendor

The PCM has been properly locked, the only way to unlock it is find the guy who locked it ask him to unlock it *or* desolder the flash chip.

Chris...
Old 12-02-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gameover
The PCM has been properly locked, the only way to unlock it is find the guy who locked it ask him to unlock it *or* desolder the flash chip.

Chris...

Was this lock done by HP Tuners Software? I have never seen a VCM locked by HP Tuners and then tried to read it back out.

I am just curious of the signature that it might leave like the BCC module code being yyyy or something similar.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

Was this lock done by HP Tuners Software? I have never seen a VCM locked by HP Tuners and then tried to read it back out.

I am just curious of the signature that it might leave like the BCC module code being yyyy or something similar.
It was a mail order tune in the PCM by "street and performance" I don't know what software they use. The guy has a new PCM that he is going to have flashed with a 2001 LS1 A4 program.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

we don't touch the BCC
Old 12-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gomer
It was a mail order tune in the PCM by "street and performance" I don't know what software they use. The guy has a new PCM that he is going to have flashed with a 2001 LS1 A4 program.

Possibly these guys... ? They do LS1 swaps. http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

Quick Reply: Question about HPtuners and "Locked" PCM.