PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mega squirt write up, long with lots of pic's. no more maf limit for me and cheap!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:08 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, i'm going to have to read all of this in the morning....too tired now. GREAT info. !
Old 12-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Teching In

So are you still using the GM ECM to control the trans and igniton, or is the megasquirt doing that now?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:30 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i am still using the stock computer to run timing and the tranny. there are people runing timing but they had to add a crank trigger set up to make it work. there are a couple of smart guys around here working on making the timing work with the stock sensors. the tranny is another project all together. there has been talk of making a mega run the tranny but i wouldn't expect to see that for awhile.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Had to add a crank trigger? I didn't
Old 12-03-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Parish, Did you do the EDIS setup? If so did you get the motor to spin over 6k?
Is your car setting alot of not-readys when it goes to get inspected?

Brains are u still working on the Ignition setup?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

subscribing. I want to know if anyone adds more info.
This is a great thread.
Kory
Old 08-13-2006, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

I'm also curious about the progess up to now...
Old 08-13-2006, 12:41 PM
single digit dreamer

i never got around to hooking up the spark. still running on the stock computer for that. the last i heard it is prety easy to run the stock coils with the stock sensors but you have to do it in wasted spark mode(2 coils fire at once twice as often). since there is pleanty of time for them to charge this seems like a good way to go. from what i was told you can fire them one at a time but it will take a little extra work.

i upgraded to the version 3 board but still ms1. it's a lot cleaner looking and more robust. i got a complete premade unit from diyautotune.com for $330. it has the flyback board built right onto the main board so it comes ready to run the lowz injectors. it also has the current carrying ability to run 2 full sets of lowz injectors if i end up upgrading to twin sets of injectors. the loging and tuning software is nicer now too. i am on the way to the dyno right now. i will try and post up some pic's of the newer board and logging software later.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Cool, thanks!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

tag for later
Old 12-22-2006, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumping ... is there any new news on using Mega with the factory LS1 CKS/CAM sensors?

thanks!
jp
Old 12-22-2006, 06:55 PM
single digit dreamer

nope. there has been talk of how easy it would be but as far as i know no one is using the stock sensors and coils controled by the megasquirt.

we are doing a boosted ls1 in a car with no other electronics and are going with the ms and the msd coil controler. the ms and msd unit are about $300 each but it will be real easy to set up.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent months last spring trying to get the MSD to work with a Commander 950 on my LSx. I hope you have better luck with the Mega ... the Holley seemed to have trouble seeing the tach signal. In the end, I sold them both and went with a FAST XFI, eDIST, and crank decoder.

I'm trying to figure this out to avoid the cost of the FAST XFI and XIM pair. Any ideas where I might something out? I'm a software guy with 20+ years of realtime C programming experience ... I wonder if I could help somebody get that working.

jp
Old 12-24-2006, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

I just had RyanK install a MS on my car. I must say I was impressed how much better it idled right off the bat. I tried tuning my car in SD mode for a whole day once with HPT & gave up. Ryan had it idling perfect in 30 minutes!

But I do have issues, hence my post.

1) It has always had hesitation, which I assume is the accleration adj. If the rains would quit, and my 20 hrs of OT a week would go away, I might be able to find out.

2) But it also has a hiccup when I throttle up fast. Like someone shut the fuel or spark off for a second. I added a power filter on the 12V line to no avail.

3) And 3 days ago when I started it up, it ran like crap. Like a plug fouled or something & it wouldn't clean up. But the batt was almost dead - cranked over SLOW. Can that cause issues with MS?

4) Oh, and I can't get the graphs to display so I can play with the cells. Ryan told me where it should be, but there must be some trick....aint like HPT at all.

I've looked on the MS forum, but I'm obviously not geeky enough because I can't grasp much of anything they are saying. So if anyone of you can throw me a bone I'd appreciate it. It's wired into the temp sensor (we used a 98 with the 3 wires), and it's got a 3 bar MAP, and a wideband. All I have to do is get pointed in the right direction. I hope.....

Mark
Old 12-25-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribing.

I was considering doing something just like this on my LTx. Let the stock ECM control the spark (no Opti decoder for MS), IAC, gauges, HVAC, security, etc. It's a 9 wire hookup like that.

I've been fighting 3 issues for years now with the stock ECM:
1. MAF limit. I program enrichment using the PE tables, but they don't compensate for different boost levels or changing ambient temps.
2. I have a lean tip-in and no way to tune it out.
3. Mine is really rich on startup. You have to hold the throttle partly open to make it start.

I would think these issues would go away with the MS2.

Mike
Old 12-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Banned

I just found this. It is a interesting setup for sure. I just sold my HPTuners setup infavor of a EFI Live and RoadRunner setup. I am thinking now after reading that it may have been cheaper to have gone with Mega Squirt. The tuneability of the VE tables looks awesome.

However would I stand to gain anything over the Realtime ability of the RR with a 3 Bar SD tune?
Old 12-25-2006, 10:37 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I just had RyanK install a MS on my car. I must say I was impressed how much better it idled right off the bat. I tried tuning my car in SD mode for a whole day once with HPT & gave up. Ryan had it idling perfect in 30 minutes!

But I do have issues, hence my post.

1) It has always had hesitation, which I assume is the accleration adj. If the rains would quit, and my 20 hrs of OT a week would go away, I might be able to find out.

2) But it also has a hiccup when I throttle up fast. Like someone shut the fuel or spark off for a second. I added a power filter on the 12V line to no avail.

3) And 3 days ago when I started it up, it ran like crap. Like a plug fouled or something & it wouldn't clean up. But the batt was almost dead - cranked over SLOW. Can that cause issues with MS?

4) Oh, and I can't get the graphs to display so I can play with the cells. Ryan told me where it should be, but there must be some trick....aint like HPT at all.

I've looked on the MS forum, but I'm obviously not geeky enough because I can't grasp much of anything they are saying. So if anyone of you can throw me a bone I'd appreciate it. It's wired into the temp sensor (we used a 98 with the 3 wires), and it's got a 3 bar MAP, and a wideband. All I have to do is get pointed in the right direction. I hope.....

Mark
the hesatition and hick up will take you some time to tune out. we had mine idleing good in no time and all the wot tuning took us maybe an hour but the driveability stuff took quite a bit longer. i still fiddle with it a little. between your ve map and accleration settings you have to tune out the stumble. watch your wide band and try and tune out the lean dip when you bump the throttle.

yes a low battery will have an effect on the ms. the injectors take more time to open when the voltage is lower so with low voltage they might not be opening at all. under the constants page there is a setting for battery voltage correction. mine is set to .20, not sure if that is a good number or not but you can try it.

the only thing i can think of for not being able to see the ve map is when you click on it sometimes it just brings up the little box in the corner of the screen and you have to maximise it to see it.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Parish, I'll charge the battery up & play with it.

This system seems like the answer to my fueling issues. My MAF & MAP were maxing out & I couldn't get enough fuel in over 5k no matter how much I added to the VE & PE, so I'm hoping this will get me the power I'm missing up high.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Well I'll be.....I charged the battery up & started the car. It ran like crap for a minute & then died. When I restarted it again, it's back to where it was a week ago, running fine. Maybe I'll get some seat time tomrrow if the rains let up & work on the hesitation issue.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Staging Lane

You know I was looking at the MS after graduating UTI. But didn't figure that I could build the board/boards needed. And since I really want Parish's setup in my Jimmy it seems like a road trip is in order to Omaha.
Hey uh, Parish, can I come and drool all over your truck sometime.

Quick Reply: mega squirt write up, long with lots of pic's. no more maf limit for me and cheap!!