PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mega squirt write up, long with lots of pic's. no more maf limit for me and cheap!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parish,

I'll be in Omaha in mid June to visit my bros & hopefully take in a drag race. (I'm doing the Bonneville Open Road Race in Nevada on June 10th along the way) Maybe we can hook up?

And have you ever had your MS blink out on you? Mine seems to run fine now, but then every once in a while, at any give speed or rpm, the engine acts like the fuel shuts off for ~100mSec. I'm going to try to log some data today so with luck I'll see something.

Mark
Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Parish,
And have you ever had your MS blink out on you? Mine seems to run fine now, but then every once in a while, at any give speed or rpm, the engine acts like the fuel shuts off for ~100mSec. I'm going to try to log some data today so with luck I'll see something.
Mark
I forget if it was the 'RPM averaging lag factor', or 'Normal Running next pulse tolerance' I had to adjust to fix that on my installation.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Staging Lane

i'm planning on using MS on an LS1- having used MS before on an old Rover V8 (read Buick 300 V8) using the EDIS setup.

has anyone yet come up with a way of translating the in built trigger wheel so you don't need to drill the crank and install the 36-1 wheel?

cheers

Jim
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
we are doing a boosted ls1 in a car with no other electronics and are going with the ms and the msd coil controler. the ms and msd unit are about $300 each but it will be real easy to set up.
Jim,

When using the MSD controller in a boosted application I assume you have to use a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor. What MAP sensor do you plan to use? I see the guys that use the stock ECU in boosted application use the Cobalt SS sensor. My thinking is that this sensor will work with the MSD as well. Right?

Andrew
Old 01-10-2007, 05:14 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

we will be using a 2bar. whatever 2bar has the same conector as a stock map.

we got the msd unit last night. it looks prety sweet. everything just plugs in. if it works as advertised i think it is the way to fly.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by parish8
we will be using a 2bar. whatever 2bar has the same conector as a stock map.

we got the msd unit last night. it looks prety sweet. everything just plugs in. if it works as advertised i think it is the way to fly.
Jim,

Please keep us posted on this deal. I downloaded the MSD software today and was unable to see how the MSD can be configured to use anything but a 1 bar sensor. I couldn't even figure out how it knows that there is vacuum. The MAP vs. Timing graph goes from 0-15PSI. Lets just say it wasn't intuative.

The other nice feature of the 6010 is the 2 step. Now you can build boost at the line.

I am actually going to use a Holley Commander 950 for fuel control. Mostly because I already own one with an LS1 harness. All the Commander needs from the 6010 is the tach signal as I am sure does the MS.

Andrew
Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

I am running a MSII for fuel only and the msd box for ignition. Made a base line program and cranked it over and fired right away!! (2003 5.3l stock)

parish8:

are you running an IAC? if so is meqa controling it? I am having problems with it, either I wired incorrectly or the MSII parameters are wrong.

I still have to shell out the bucks and get my wideband, this narrow band is as good as junk.

Any update on weather MSD can handle boost?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great write up
Old 02-10-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Fix Spark Control

If anyone can tell me the output of the stock crank sensor, I can develop the code to control the spark.

1. Need to know when TDC is, what signal does the stock sensor output, series of pulses? Is it resistance based?

Please supply me with the output of the stock sensor i.e. voltage vs crank position for 360 degrees.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigturboz28
If anyone can tell me the output of the stock crank sensor, I can develop the code to control the spark.

1. Need to know when TDC is, what signal does the stock sensor output, series of pulses? Is it resistance based?

Please supply me with the output of the stock sensor i.e. voltage vs crank position for 360 degrees.
This is a hell of an offer. Thanks BigTurbo!

I don't know the answers - yet, but I've been folowing Megasquirt since it's begining. I will volunteer to help you find the answers if you'd like.

Don
Old 02-17-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Megasquirt Ignition Control

I have done some reading and I think it can be done with the crank and cam sensor. From what I read, the cam sensor outputs 24 pulses/rotation and the crank sensor outputs one at TDC. If this is the case, it should not be to hard to get MS-I programmed in a wasted spark configuration (4 coil drivers running 2 each). I will order the unit on Monday. What I need to know is what exact wires are for what i.e. what pin from the cam sensor is ground/power/signal, and the same for the crank sensor. If you have this handy or can find it easy, we will be ahead of the game.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up, my buddy has it on his turbo truck and I'm gonna get one for my Lt1. I hear nothing but great stuff about it and the cost is so nice.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:56 AM
single digit dreamer

i dont know if it is as easy as you think but it would be great if it was.

if you look at the wheel on the crank the teeth are not spaced equaly. the high and low spaces on the wheel vary a lot.

we hope to be starting an engine tonight using the msd ignition controler and a ms1. it costs a few more bucks but is a prety easy solution.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Megasquirt Ignition Control

Parish8,

I know you are further down the road with MS on an LS1, but if the stock ECU can use those signals to control the spark, why can't MS? Of course mounting a 36-1 wheel is also pretty easy... I am sure I will have questions on the way, and your experience will be a big asset. I want to try and get the stock sensors to control the MS Ignition (I know it is possible, it is just a matter of is it worth the effort).
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 AM
single digit dreamer

to be honest i dont know that much about the ms or how it works internaly. i just know how to hook it up and tune it.

looking at the wheel imiagne the first tooth it 1/2" long, then next tooth is 3/4", then 1" then 1.25" then .5" then 1"....

i am sure somehow you could write a code to work with this varied wheel but that is way over my head.

i have been told the trailing edge of the teeth are equaly spaced. it is hard to see looking at the wheel but i suppose it is possiable.

does anyone have a picture of the crank wheel to post up so big can see what i am talking about?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigturboz28
I have done some reading and I think it can be done with the crank and cam sensor. From what I read, the cam sensor outputs 24 pulses/rotation and the crank sensor outputs one at TDC. If this is the case, it should not be to hard to get MS-I programmed in a wasted spark configuration (4 coil drivers running 2 each). I will order the unit on Monday. What I need to know is what exact wires are for what i.e. what pin from the cam sensor is ground/power/signal, and the same for the crank sensor. If you have this handy or can find it easy, we will be ahead of the game.
The LS1 does use a 24 tooth wheel but the pulses are no evenly spaced. If you look at the actual trigger wheel you will see that there are actually 2 wheels put together. There is a distinct pattern of pulses that the crank sensor sends to the ECU.

Andrew
Old 02-18-2007, 08:44 PM
single digit dreamer

good news. the msd box and the megasquirt work well together. we pluged in the msd box and wired up the mega and it fired right up. msd box with harness was $250 on ebay and the megasquirt(mega1 ver3 board) assembelded with harness is around $400 at diyautotune. thats $650 to completely run timing and fuel in a prety easy to use set up. this includes lots of neat features like fan control, bad *** nitrous control, 2 STEP!!, nitrous timing retard, ready to run low z injectors and many other features.

if someone figures out how to run the coil packs with the mega in wasted spark mode it would save a few bucks but untill then the msd ignition control box is a good way to go.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 PM
DSG
10 Second Club

Great right up. I will be using megasquirt on my Trans Am turbo build up.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default MegaSquirt Ignition Trigger

As it turns out, it looks like the ECU uses the pulse width to determine where the crank is but it uses the falling edge to determine speed. This means we should be able to use the 24 tooth's falling edge and the CMP for reference. I have ordered the unit (MS-I v3.0 + LC1 w/wideband) and will give this a try. My timing for this project is a couple months (I am also planning on installing LQ9 heads, and redue my hotside piping for a VNT turbo). As the MS portion will be near the end I will post more progress when I get there.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default MS Code Update

I received the unit MS-I V3.0 and am starting to understand the code (with a friend who is an assembler God), it looks fairly straight forward and I will try it on my car and let everyone know. From what it looks like the trick is getting the second trigger to fire off the rising and falling edge. In the code you can pick one or the other, we are going to make it work for both. Unfortunately the code will probably be ready long before the car is, SO, I will post when we start testing the ignition function.

On a side note, this could also be accomplished with the original MS code and a simple circuit to make the rising edge a falling edge....

Quick Reply: mega squirt write up, long with lots of pic's. no more maf limit for me and cheap!!