PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning VE, question about disconnecting maf

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If VE's are correct then yes, you can set your IFR table. The problem is, most people assume their IFR table is correct when they set their VE table. If you have a stock engine you might as well assume the VE table is correct, but if you're modded but have stock injectors you can assume your IFR table is correct. If neither are stock, you're kind of in a Catch 22 situation. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gojo
I'm interested.
I think when you say disconnected it's confusing. May be the reason for no response. With no MAF you can't get VE's or MAF frequency. With the MAF zeroed you get it all.
you can get the ve through the dynair pid it still logs in g/cyl you would jsut have to change the pid to use a different calc pid instead of the MAF pid (which is what efilive does). Efilive made this a calc pid not to take up any more pd spots but if you look under the air pid you will see dynair and dyncyl (they take up 2 spots though). you are correct i didnt mean disconnecting it but forcing it to run SD so you could still log raw frequency

What caught my interest was realizing IFR's could be checked for correctness. I'm not sure of the formulas and their accuracy for calculating IFR's for bigger injectors. This new idea seems very important to me. If VE's are corrected then IFR's can be set with the MAF 0'd. When the MAF is hooked up again the trims should then reflect the inaccuracy of the MAF. My hangup is IFR's since if they are right setting AFR gets easier.

I have dialed in my car and my IFR table has be rescalced for 32 lbs injectors @ 4 bar. Once that was doen i forgot about the IFR table and now i am concetrating on the ve table (iam SD) and I have a buddy and another friends car that i am tuning concentrate on the MAF table and back caluculating it to get good values. Even when my injectors was stock I never messed with them I used the ve table to tune everything with great sucess (kinda like you do with the idle setting and such). If i ahd a maf (gave mine away) I would have way more data a little faster for the masses but since idont I have othe people schedules to work with

One more thing I also think the computer when the maf is hooked up and functional defaults the dyn pids to whatever the maf is reading (this is why they are the same). I think this is to save processing cycles for more imortant things. The calculation could be a little intesensive since it has to look at a few more sensors and do some calculations to derive a value. But when the Maf performance code is throw the computer then deafult back to doing the calculations at it need to know how much air the engine is injesting to shoot the appropriate amount of fuel.

I've had a few beers so feel free to ask me to clarify my thought if they seem a little bunched or so
Old 12-14-2004, 10:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by P Mack
If you have a stock engine you might as well assume the VE table is correct, but if you're modded but have stock injectors you can assume your IFR table is correct. If neither are stock, you're kind of in a Catch 22 situation. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

You'd be suprised how rich the stock ve table is. I think after GM calibrated it they added a **** load of fuel just to make sure in case the maf failed they would only be replacing a MAF and not pistons......
Old 12-14-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If VE's are correct then yes, you can set your IFR table. The problem is, most people assume their IFR table is correct when they set their VE table. If you have a stock engine you might as well assume the VE table is correct, but if you're modded but have stock injectors you can assume your IFR table is correct. If neither are stock, you're kind of in a Catch 22 situation. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
You understand me. But, if you log actual VE's and input those values the IFR's don't matter at that point. If you use trims to set VE's then it will.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Humpin, you're probably right, judging from the 1.25 PE tables they also put in stock. I didn't have hptuners when I was stock so I don't know first hand.

gojo, Ok that makes sense if you could log actual VE's, but where do those come from? To calculate actual VE the pcm would have to know the massflow of the engine, which leads to another catch 22 situation with the MAF.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:13 PM
FormerVendor

Humpin, you're probably right, judging from the 1.25 PE tables they also put in stock. I didn't have hptuners when I was stock so I don't know first hand.

gojo, Ok that makes sense if you could log actual VE's, but where do those come from? To calculate actual VE the pcm would have to know the massflow of the engine, which leads to another catch 22 situation with the MAF.

The PCM does know mass flow. It back calculates this from teh ve table(this is why this needs to be dialed in as close as posible preferably with a WB). It is represented as dyncylair or dynair
Old 12-14-2004, 11:17 PM
FormerVendor

If you want to test this theory set the ve to 130% disconnect/force the pcm into sd mode and see what happens between the dynair pid and the maf g/cyl pid
Old 12-14-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spell Check is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gojo
You understand me. But, if you log actual VE's and input those values the IFR's don't matter at that point. If you use trims to set VE's then it will.

Regardless of how you want to use it, the IFR table shouldn't be touched IMO if the injectors are stock. You want to change the fueling with the VE table regardless if you are tuning with trims or SD/Open Loop.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:23 PM
FormerVendor

The IFR table is a set it and forget i thing. Once you have it dialed in for your injectors everything else is ve and if you are trying to reclibrate the maf, those are the nly tables tha need to be touched
Old 12-14-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, I understand it calculates mass flow from VE. That is why it would be circular to calculate VE from massflow and assume its right. Another catch 22. The only way to not end up with a catch 22 is assuming some table is right.

You said to dial in VE with WB which I agree with. But to do that you have to assume your IFR tables are right.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, you guys managed to squeeze 4 posts in on me before i responded to post 26. I think we all agree that the right way to do things is assume the ifr table is right (or scale it for bigger injectors) then do ve, then do MAF. Not ve then ifr.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I understand it calculates mass flow from VE. That is why it would be circular to calculate VE from massflow and assume its right. Another catch 22. The only way to not end up with a catch 22 is assuming some table is right.

You said to dial in VE with WB which I agree with. But to do that you have to assume your IFR tables are right.
If the car has stock injectors, why wouldn't they be right?
Old 12-14-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn, you guys managed to squeeze 4 posts in on me before i responded to post 26. I think we all agree that the right way to do things is assume the ifr table is right (or scale it for bigger injectors) then do ve, then do MAF. Not ve then ifr.

We're fast.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I think we all agree that the right way to do things is assume the ifr table is right (or scale it for bigger injectors) then do ve, then do MAF. Not ve then ifr.
I will agree 100% with that.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:30 PM
FormerVendor

No matter what the IFR tables look like you can still fuel the car. IMO the IFR table dictate how hard the injectors work and a lot of tuners use this as a bandaid to + trims. Excesivly large ve values my indicate a problem in the IFR table but they can still be fixed via the ve table.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Black02SS
I will agree 100% with that.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not say I dailed in VE from a WB. EFI has a VE pid that logs VE in the same value format as Edit. This is the formula built into the scanner.
VEpcm 0.0 3000.0 .2 "{SAE.MAF.gps}*({SAE.IAT.C}+273.15)/(346*{SAE.RPM}*{SAE.MAP.kPa})*6155274.2"
I agree that other methods of correcting VE are problematic. I did not find the WB tuning method too accurate and had the circular problem to which you allude. That's why this new find is exciting to me.
Let me start some trouble. If you're going to run in SD then tune using all the SD steps and WB. If you are going to use the MAF then use this new find and only zero the MAF. Just come close and let the multi million $ PCM do it's job. By the way, my car with the MAF disconnected runs as if it's connected. It seems that my VE table is at least close. But I'm not sure if the IFR and MAF values are correct. I don't think they are. The reason I prefer manually inputting VE values is that other systems average in outlier numbers, such as transition values from cell to cell. A comparison of those averages shows a significant difference from stable values logged within each cell. I guess EFI is needed to see it.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

If you have altered your MAF or LID on your car, your MAF isn't accurate. How can you come up with a accurate VE table if the formula you use, uses a inaccurate MAF value?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:09 AM
FormerVendor

I agree that other methods of correcting VE are problematic. I did not find the WB tuning method too accurate and had the circular problem to which you allude. That's why this new find is exciting to me.
If the WB was problematic and the maf has shown to be inaccurate with changes to the intake exhause and internals of the engine (cam) how do you propose tuning this thing

Let me start some trouble. If you're going to run in SD then tune using all the SD steps and WB. If you are going to use the MAF then use this new find and only zero the MAF. Just come close and let the multi million $ PCM do it's job.
I agree close will get you there but we (you and I) are unaware of any filtering that goes on with the MAF, map, o2's, LTRIMS and STRIMS. So to avoid any confusion force an open loop SD tune (map senosr never lies and cant be pushed inaccurate with changes to the engine, vacuum is vacuum). Once you are close things hould fall into place but how are you gonna get it clos. The o2 sensors are influenced by headers which make the car run rich so can you really use them to tune effectively at idle since this is where they would be the coldest. If you look at the ve thread you will see no go and gameover discuss the ve formula. nogo said gameovers formula was lean when the maf was connected most likely tis is because the maf is off by the same percent as the fuel. this was verified by me the other day. Car was dialed in a 13:1 SD then the maf plugged up and the AFR with no other changes shot to 13.5-.7. So far tht is a 4% difference between the 2. To me since the maf is the PRIMAR metering device any inaccuracies over its tolerance is unacceptable.....

By the way, my car with the MAF disconnected runs as if it's connected. It seems that my VE table is at least close. But I'm not sure if the IFR and MAF values are correct. I don't think they are. The reason I prefer manually inputting VE values is that other systems average in outlier numbers, such as transition values from cell to cell. A comparison of those averages shows a significant difference from stable values logged within each cell. I guess EFI is needed to see it.

When your ve table is close you will see this what you wont see is the the throttle response (it suffers when the maf is plugged in (the heated elemet sucks for a fast reacitn g system that is why there is blending under 4K above 4k the maf takes over because it can heat up and cool downfast enough to be soewhat accurate). If you have your sotck injectors then the IFR table is spot on. If you have upgraded there are formulas to figure out the new injectors. what i did after that was find out the percentage differnce between the new and the old and scale the whole table by this value. Then checked the % difference bettween the min value and max value of the old and did this for the new. This confirmed to me that the forumula was right and in the ball park....

With open loop there are no outside influences set the table to 1.13 which is 12.96: and tune for that when you are done you can bet your right arm everythihng will fall into place....

Quick Reply: tuning VE, question about disconnecting maf