Sponsored by:

Dialing in MAF tables anyone????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Jim, didn't know you knew Chinese!

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Stock MAF table appears to be a perfect fit with a 3rd order poly, and looks pretty good for the custom table as well. To clarify an earlier statement, once the trendline is added to the large dataset chart, things get REAL sluggish. Looks like we need an array formula using the LINEST function to convert it to a table.

My modified MAF table regression formula (from trendline):

y=3E-10x^3-8E-07x^2+0.0039x-2.9051

My stock MAF table regression formula (from trendline):

y=4E-10x^3-1E-06x^2+0.0058x-6.1464

Now to see if I can get that array formula working...
Old 01-05-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I can't get the formula result to match the stock MAF curve.

The raw values are:
Code:
I       J               L                       M                       N                       O
Hz	Maf g/sec					
2687	8.08		0.00000000035453	-0.00000114936437	0.00577445218620	24.61452983
The formula I'm using to calculate Y is:

=L2*(I2^3)-M2*(I2^2)+0.0058*I2-6.1464

and the (rounded) raw formula is:

y=4E-10x^3-1E-06x^2+0.0058x-6.1464

Maybe it's just late. To me the formula appears right, but the y value comes out to 24.x at 2687 RPM, whereas the stock g/sec is 8.x
Old 01-05-2005, 04:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

divide the 24 by 3 and poof, back to 8 lol
Old 01-05-2005, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Sure, 3 is the factor between those sample values.

But if I change the Hz to 10528, the result remains the same as if it the Hz was 2678.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

i think you are missing something to the effect of after a cetain amount of air speed enters the maf the electronics in it cause an airflow turbulance and it has a weird pattern of air to it, kinda like lift on an airplane, so they have to make up for that??? so pretty much no matter what mathamatical equasion you come up with it will be not accurate unless you had an air machine hooked up to the inlet of your airbox and the outlet of your maf and measured the hz output of the maf thru the hole band and then input your readings into the computer...
Old 01-05-2005, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

even with a ported maf, you have that flat section in the center that creates a void in the airflow at high air speed, and the faster the volosity of the air traveling thru the bigger the center void gets.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

This test could be better done with Flashscan as it lets you make custom maps that can be plotted against ANY pid the progrma offers. If any of you have efilive V6 can you log the same dynair pid and maf frequency and send it to me. I will see what the averages come back with using a map instead of fooling around to much with Excel (unless you are cool with it)
Old 01-05-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

It seems the variance between the stock calibration of the MAF and what you have at this point is way too large... But bear with me here, how does it compare to the data of the dynamic airflow? I'm under the thought that we are trying to create a MAF table that should line up closely to the dynamic airflow curve/function right? Is this wrong?
Old 01-05-2005, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

The theory here is that IF your ve table is dialed in the PCM uses dynamic airflow to still be able to tell the pcm of air flow in the case of a maf failure. If you log raw frequency and the dynamic airflow (which you feel confident is spot on) then you can backward calculate a maf table. The ve table is the airmas table and if this is dialed in and accurate you can compensate for an inaccurate maf.

THe difference between the the stock maf and the new maf table could be all the inaccuracies showing up from a lid, cam and other modifications that you a have made to the intake tract.

When you are finsihed plotting out your new MAF table and you flash the PCM the AFR's should stay the same....
Old 01-05-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
The theory here is that IF your ve table is dialed in the PCM uses dynamic airflow to still be able to tell the pcm of air flow in the case of a maf failure. If you log raw frequency and the dynamic airflow (which you feel confident is spot on) then you can backward calculate a maf table. The ve table is the airmas table and if this is dialed in and accurate you can compensate for an inaccurate maf.

THe difference between the the stock maf and the new maf table could be all the inaccuracies showing up from a lid, cam and other modifications that you a have made to the intake tract.

When you are finsihed plotting out your new MAF table and you flash the PCM the AFR's should stay the same....
OK so I guess what I took from this is that the MAF could be reporting more or less airflow than what the VE table is actually using correct? (Well, that's obvious since that's why we correct the VE anyway via SD) So we want to calibrate the MAF to be reporting similar data as the VE that way the two are not in conflict, thus not confusing fuel trims right?

I haven't tried any of this yet, just trying to lock down some concepts here but Mass AF is logged vs Frequencies right? and what is Dynamic Airflow logged against? RPMs? Ok so for example, let's say that at 2000 rpm raw MAF data reads 20 g/sec and the Dynamic airflow 15 g/sec, what would you do with this data, and how do we relate the data in terms in frequency? A newbie like me would just take the 15 g/sec and replace the 20 g/sec at whatever frequency it was set. This seems just way too easy so I'm pretty sure I'm wrong...
Old 01-05-2005, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by txhorns281
OK so I guess what I took from this is that the MAF could be reporting more or less airflow than what the VE table is actually using correct? (Well, that's obvious since that's why we correct the VE anyway via SD) So we want to calibrate the MAF to be reporting similar data as the VE that way the two are not in conflict, thus not confusing fuel trims right?
Correct

I haven't tried any of this yet, just trying to lock down some concepts here but Mass AF is logged vs Frequencies right?
Not quite right if we are trying to correct maf airflow we need to log dynamic(ve derived) against raw frequency then average the data for those frequency ranges and plug them back inot the maf freq table

and what is Dynamic Airflow logged against? RPMs? Ok so for example, let's say that at 2000 rpm raw MAF data reads 20 g/sec and the Dynamic airflow 15 g/sec, what would you do with this data, and how do we relate the data in terms in frequency? A newbie like me would just take the 15 g/sec and replace the 20 g/sec at whatever frequency it was set. This seems just way too easy so I'm pretty sure I'm wrong...

Average the dynamic airflow against the frequency (freq table is not dependant on rpm so we dont need it) so if you have an average of 20 for freqs 0-1500 hz i would put 20 g/sec in that colum
Old 01-05-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Old 01-05-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Correct

Not quite right if we are trying to correct maf airflow we need to log dynamic(ve derived) against raw frequency then average the data for those frequency ranges and plug them back inot the maf freq table

Average the dynamic airflow against the frequency (freq table is not dependant on rpm so we dont need it) so if you have an average of 20 for freqs 0-1500 hz i would put 20 g/sec in that colum
RocknRoll Humpin! Glad someone's willing to put up with the education of this guy! So we average the Mass AF and the Dyn AF and at whatever MAF frequency these two data were logged, that's what we input to build the new table right? So here's my next question, when we average Mass AF and Dyn AF, depending on the swing, we could end up getting a table that's either reports a little more or a little less flow than what the VE derives right??? Either way it's still closer than raw MAF readings, but wouldn't it still not be directly on VE derived dyn AF??? Is there any reason why we would not want to be pretty much ON the dyn AF curve/function as opposed to slightly offset?

BTW, thanks to everyone for their input! This thread is becoming very very interesting and very very useful too! You guys rock!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

RocknRoll Humpin! Glad someone's willing to put up with the education of this guy! So we average the Mass AF and the Dyn AF and at whatever MAF frequency these two data were logged, that's what we input to build the new table right?
Forget about the Maf for the time being we only need the frequency from it. the Dynamic air and the frequency is what is needed for the re-building the table.

So here's my next question, when we average Mass AF and Dyn AF, depending on the swing, we could end up getting a table that's either reports a little more or a little less flow than what the VE derives right???
Yes this is true this is why it is important your ve table be spot on. Dynaminc airflow is the ve table. If you check the ve table cracked thread at the top of the fourm gameover spells out how the computer calculates dynamic airflow from the ve table, the map sensor and the IAT sensor....

Either way it's still closer than raw MAF readings, but wouldn't it still not be directly on VE derived dyn AF??? Is there any reason why we would not want to be pretty much ON the dyn AF curve/function as opposed to slightly offset?
When i say raw maf data is a referring to raw frequency in HZ. The only thing we need the maf for is the frequency at this stage of the game. This coupled with an accurate ve table will give you a dynamic air value thus you should be able to back calculate good G/sec values for a new maf table. Then after it is flashed back and you have verified your AFR's havent changed you can log both to see how much they differ.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

You da man Humpin... headed to Houston to do a H/C setup right now... I'll post later if my brain starts churning (it rarely does... lol)
Old 01-07-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey JimMueller, did you have any luck figuring out your formulas???
Old 01-07-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

No luck. I gave the 'excel experts' a piece of my mind on another forum, so I'll probably have to switch forums
Old 01-10-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, so I'm thinking bout hitting up the MAF today.... my VE looks pretty good, when i plug it back in I have to set the fail frequency to zero right??? And when I'm logging Mass AF vs Dynamic AF, where do I get the frequency from??? When I export the data does it show the MAF frequency? Thanks!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I think setting the MAF Fail Frequesncy is an alternative method to force the PCM into SD mode, with or without the MAF plugged in.

You need to log MAF Frequncy as well.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

Ok, so I'm thinking bout hitting up the MAF today.... my VE looks pretty good, when i plug it back in I have to set the fail frequency to zero right??? And when I'm logging Mass AF vs Dynamic AF, where do I get the frequency from??? When I export the data does it show the MAF frequency? Thanks!

Forget about mass airflow . You love that pid, dont you? All you need is maf frequency and dynamic airflow....

Quick Reply: Dialing in MAF tables anyone????