Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vats light on not flashing will not start just got removed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unhappy vats light on not flashing will not start just got removed

I just got my computer back from texas speed. the first day I started it once the car ran great and no problems at all the next day which is today The car will not do anything but the securtity light is on steady. I wanted to take the car to the track sat. but doesn't look good now. I tried waiting 15 min and that did not work. I tried unhooking battery and making sure pins are in comp. good but still no luck. they removed vats in the tune. is there any way to bypass the vats to get it to start. anyone else had this problem. it is a 98 a4 z28.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats weird it worked one day but then not the next...dunno what to tell ya.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:28 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonppr
I just got my computer back from texas speed. the first day I started it once the car ran great and no problems at all the next day which is today The car will not do anything but the securtity light is on steady. I wanted to take the car to the track sat. but doesn't look good now. I tried waiting 15 min and that did not work. I tried unhooking battery and making sure pins are in comp. good but still no luck. they removed vats in the tune. is there any way to bypass the vats to get it to start. anyone else had this problem. it is a 98 a4 z28.
It won't be the PCM. My '98 A4 WS6 had acted up three times. Never around the shop where I could check into it, of course. My security light stays on (even after turning the key back off) and the starter won't crank. So far the light has one out after sitting for four or five minutes. Starts fine then. Has been well over a month between episodes. Has not done it since I began to carry both keys. One customer with an auto electric shop says he has had to replace the wiring in the steering column on several, they developed an intermittent open. Shutting off the VATS in the PCM will only cure starting & dying due to a VATS problem, not failing to crank. Possibly installing a resistor like they use for remote start setups to bypass the VATS?

Good luck, Ed
Old 01-15-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bcm pinouts to bypass the vats if it is dissabled in the pcm, c11 yellow/ black, it gets a ground when the key is turned on, that will allow the starter to work, if you dont want the security light on, cut, c12 its grey. if you want to bypass all the vehicle harness with a resister, measure the key, and then jumper pins, c2 purple white, wit the resister value to wire d7 white black,