Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what tuner?...turbo,42lbs injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what tuner?...turbo,42lbs injectors

HI, I'm very new at this so please forgive my ignorance....I just built a twin turbo charged LS1 ..it has a turbo cam,42lbs injectors and ported heads..this engine is to go into a rod...I'm using the stock engine wiring harness... So I need a tuner that can make this combo work..my questions are as follows.
I'm getting rid of the egr, will I get a trouble code and if so can a tuner get rid of it?
Will I get other trouble codes poping up due to the stock wiring harness?
I will need to let the pcm know about the larger injectors and that the engine is being boosted....are there tuners out there that let you program in the info?

basically..what tuner would get rid of trouble codes, vats ..let you change injector size and adjust for boost pressure(turbo)...please guys any help here would be greatly appreciated.
I have read many many post here about tuners but when it comes to anything exact on turners and turbos I'm still lost,,,thanks
Old 01-17-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the tuners can get rid of the trouble codes and vats, change injector size

Depending on how you want to run it, HP Tuners (www.hptuners.com) has just released their 2 bar support for running a power adder speed density tune (eliminating the MAF)

HPT's been on the market for about 10 months or so now and I've been using it on my GTP and TA ... it's a good product... version 2.0 is being released pretty soon (well I dont' know exacts but sounds like it's not real far off) and would be capable of doing what you need and more
Old 01-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Your options are:

LS1edit
Tunercat
Predator tuner
HPTuners
EFILive

Personal opinions:
I personally do not like LS1edit because it is slow, not user friendly, has a bad licensing scheme, and (last I heard or seen) has no datalogger.

Tunercat just came out, last time I checked there isn't even anything on their website about the new tuner. Hard to say much about this product. It is cheaper, but as far as I know doesn't come with a datalogger (which is very important for tuning).

Predator is a handheld tuner. You're going to need a datalogger, so I wouldn't recommend it.

HPT seems like good software (based on the opinions of those who use it). I can't say a whole lot about the software, as I haven't used it. They're planning 3 bar, which may be of interest to you since you're going boosted. The licensing scheme for the software isn't bad, but I dislike the fact that you don't get upgrades for the software after the 1st year unless you pay (if I recall correctly). I'd like to give this software a shot, but I don't believe they have a demo version, unfortunately.

I use EFILive. I can say that is really great software. Their scanning software is nothing short of amazing. I've had their tuning software for less than a week now, and have been nothing but impressed so far. One of my favorite things about their system is that once you buy the product you get upgrades for as long as you own it. They have a demo version too, so you can try before you buy. Based on my experience with EFILive over the years, they get my recommendation.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This is such a huge misconception.. I'm not sure where people are getting this from.

HP Tuners.

Extended Software Upgrades applies to new major software upgrades. We will continue to add new features into our software to make it easier for you to use. You do not need to be on the update plan to recieve bug fixes, minor software updates and customer support. We will distribute bug fixes and minor updates to you for free for as long as we support that software revision.

We released the start of 1.0 about a year ago. Even if you are not active with software upgrades you receive every 1.x release we put out there, FOR FREE!!!

Also, we release updates to our software every couple of months... We have already gone through 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and now 1.6.... in just 1 year.. We are constantly adding features.

Our next major release is 2.0, which will be released in the very near future. This release is a very big one. I can see the 2.0 lineup lasting us for a couple of years.. so if you purchase 2.0 at its release date, you can receive 2.9 for free in 15 years from now if that is the version we are working with.

The 2.x base is simply amazing out of the box. We do have a few upgrades planned for 2.1 and perhaps 2.2, but after that quite honestly there will not be much more to do so I'm not sure where we could even get 3.x from.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 01-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Hmm, thanks for clearing that up, my mistake. I asked this question earlier and never got a reply though: I'd like to demo the software, are there any plans in the near future to release a demo version?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Teching In

thanks so much for the response here.....one huge question still remains in my mind...I know of handheld tuners...but are the hp tuner and the efilive tuners software only? So does that mean you would need a laptop or pc to program?..went to their sites and that is the impression I got.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Yes, HPT and EFILive are both software. Sorry to say this, but if you really want to correctly tune your car you're going to need a PC handy. Both software packages require you have a PC within arm's reach of the car... EFILive allows you to log data on the cable without a laptop in the car, however.