PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Idle transition tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005 | 01:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by QuickSilver2002
Yea, I really stated that wrong. I should have asked why turning the electric fans on would require the IAC stepper to open wider (which results in more load/fuel). I might be missing something, but I don't understand how the alternator would become harder to turn because the fans are on. It would make sense if you had a fan clutch that was being driven by the belts, but I thought the alternator was just a constant load. AC makes total sense though. I must be missing something basic.
alternator load is proportional to electrical load.

Also, do you think the IAP has impact on the IAC position while the motor is running? There seems to be no clear answer on that one. Some seem to be seeing some results from changing it.
it is the IAC position when cranking, once the engine is running it is not used.
Old 05-12-2005 | 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gameover
alternator load is proportional to electrical load.

it is the IAC position when cranking, once the engine is running it is not used.
Ok, i'm with you now. I researched how the regulation circuitry works with an alternator and I can see how the change in the magnetic fields can result in more mechanical load at low RPMs (i'm sure it is not not measurable once the RPMS are up). I never realized it was that advanced.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Quick Reply: Idle transition tuning