PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Tunner Scanner Combo is the Best?
LS1 Edit with EFI Live Scanner
2.63%
LS1 Edit with LS1 Edit Scanner
0%
EFI Live Tunner with EFI Live Scanner
18.42%
HP Tunners Tuner with Scanner
78.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Please Vote

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Please Vote

Which is the best period. LS1 Edit/Scanner, EFI Live Tunner/Scanner, or HP Tunners tuner/scanner?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any more votes?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many people do you think are out there who have tried
all three?

Aside from all two them, all anybody has is opinions unbacked
by experience.

I like HPTuners fine, never used Edit, considered but blew
off Flashscan (their license scheme did it in, for me).

I can tell you pretty certainly that Edit will come in last,
though. Their license sucks, their scanner (still beta?)
is weak, and I haven't heard that they quit roasting
PCMs yet (though they oughtta, you'd think).
Old 01-31-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks
I agree with Jimmyblue - not very many people have tried more than one tuner packages included myself. I voted based on my Software tool and what I have read about the other packages, EFI live came out after I purchased HP Tuner but I am sure I would have gone with EFI live anyway - too new.
Bill
Old 01-31-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree with the above, the results of the poll will only reflect what people own/use, not necessarily which tool is the best. I have HPTuners and i love it, mainly because so many people have it taht it is easy to find an answer to just about any question you may have. They also have a very active forum, which comes in very handy. I had efilive before (just the scanner), and it was the best scanner I have ever used, so I don't doubt that their tuning tool is top notch also.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

I have EFILIVE Flashscan, HPtuners and LS1edit all of which I use every day in my business as a professional tuner , for ease of use, control and the scanners ability as well as lifetime free updates I use and prefer EFILIVE,

All the tuning tools do a similar job but what really make the difference is in the scanning ability and being able to customise it to do anything you want.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, people will probably vote for what they have experience with. I own LS1 Edit. I have had no problems with it. Just got thier scanner. It really sucks. I have found out what I wanted to know from everyones responses here. I will buy HP Tunners set up. Everyone seams to realy like it and I can trade in my Edit and save 200 bucks. EFI Live Tuner is over 600 and they did not offer me a trade in.

My problem is I like my LS1 Edit and I realy need a scanner. This poll has help me decide if it is worth the money to spend or should I just use LS1 Edit and Its crappy Scanner.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

I have all three. And while it takes Edit longer to "read" I like it better. But each three program has something that is a little better. If you could put all of them into one program.....now that would rock!!! BTW. I voted for Edit/EFI
Old 01-31-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Thought I would mention some of the things I like better in Edit that the other two doesn't have.

I can open a file in Edit and in the same window compare other files, like the stock file and easily reload any table back in with one click without opening another window up and copy and paste. And I have gotten really use to the note pad to make notes on all the changes done to each file. When you tune quite a few different cars it is nice to have that right there at a glance.

And lastly, I believe Edit has gotten a bum rap on the killing pcms thing. HPtuners has a habit of giving me the "blue screen of death" shut down after a read and not save my file. While Edit has never done that! On the down side, the scan doesn't even compare to the other two, I use EFI for that.

Just my .02 worth
Old 01-31-2005, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
I can open a file in Edit and in the same window compare other files, like the stock file and easily reload any table back in with one click without opening another window up and copy and paste. And I have gotten really use to the note pad to make notes on all the changes done to each file. When you tune quite a few different cars it is nice to have that right there at a glance.
FYI - FlashScan does all that.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
And lastly, I believe Edit has gotten a bum rap on the killing pcms thing. HPtuners has a habit of giving me the "blue screen of death" shut down after a read and not save my file. While Edit has never done that! On the down side, the scan doesn't even compare to the other two, I use EFI for that.
Are you using a USB to serial adapter? if so it's most likely the USB to Serial drivers... I used to use one and would have this problem... it's a problem w/how the driver is written... when it tries to release control windows doesn't handle it well and crashes....

AFAIK the latest version of edit does allow for a partial PCM write ... however having wasted 100 bux in dealer costs plus 150 bux for a spare PCM, after LS1 Edit killed one of my PCMs... I don't consider it a bum rap... they have a crappy write algorithm ... HPT was the first to institute partial PCM writes ...

I've been using HPT on both my Grand Prix and TA for almost a year now... the software is awesome... 2.0 is coming out soon , they're working on USB support (native USB Support), they offer 2 and 3 bar speed density licenses (not just modifying calibration tables.. this actually involves hacking the base Operating system ... ) as well as 1 bar enhanced speed density... They've changed their product quickly over the past year based on customer feedback... they were the first to offer enhanced input/output functionality (EIO) HPT is constantly adding new functionality... bug fixes are free , software upgrades are free (within a version ... regardless of your software support agreement) ...

HPT will have some really cool features w/us with upcoming releases too....
Old 02-01-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StealthV
FYI - FlashScan does all that.
Yes, I know I have it lol. But not the features I mentioned, unless I have missed that somehow.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by horist
Are you using a USB to serial adapter? if so it's most likely the USB to Serial drivers... I used to use one and would have this problem... it's a problem w/how the driver is written... when it tries to release control windows doesn't handle it well and crashes....

AFAIK the latest version of edit does allow for a partial PCM write ... however having wasted 100 bux in dealer costs plus 150 bux for a spare PCM, after LS1 Edit killed one of my PCMs... I don't consider it a bum rap... they have a crappy write algorithm ... HPT was the first to institute partial PCM writes ...

I've been using HPT on both my Grand Prix and TA for almost a year now... the software is awesome... 2.0 is coming out soon , they're working on USB support (native USB Support), they offer 2 and 3 bar speed density licenses (not just modifying calibration tables.. this actually involves hacking the base Operating system ... ) as well as 1 bar enhanced speed density... They've changed their product quickly over the past year based on customer feedback... they were the first to offer enhanced input/output functionality (EIO) HPT is constantly adding new functionality... bug fixes are free , software upgrades are free (within a version ... regardless of your software support agreement) ...

HPT will have some really cool features w/us with upcoming releases too....
I didn't mean to start anything with the couple of things I liked about Edit. I agree that HPtuners has a better pricing for sure! If I was 100% happy with Edit, I would not have HPtuners and FlashScan, Just stated some things I liked better. And in my opinion, FlashScan is going to be the best yet. Glad there is competition now, we all benefit from that.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Why would anyone go with LS1edit with HPtuners software on the market? I have LS1edit, and have a customer who I recommended he get HPtuners software due to the lack of any forward progress from LS1edit. The website alone looks like a 12 year old built it, considering how easy a forum is to implement. I will be trading in my LS1edit package soon enough.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree. I am going to do the same. I think LS1edit is a dead tool now. Sad but is true.