Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb question on PCM

Old 01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newb question on PCM

Hey guys,

I want to get my PCM reprogrammed, however I have almost no mods yet on my car. Should I wait till I get all my stuff and then get the PCM, or could I get it? I am currently looking at the SLP package. It seems simple enough, since I am not all to familiar with PCM's. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Three things:

1.) Stay away from SLP, they make decent stuff, but for much less and for better quality spend your money elsewhere.

2.) Get a few good power mods going first before you look for custom PCM tuning. I did a predator back when i was only lid, catback, and free mods and i got horses from it, but generally a lightly modded LS1 shouldn't need any tuning for driveability issues or big problems. If anything, save your money now and pick up the horses later when you start doing big mods.

3.) Try to learn a little about tuning that way you understand dynamically what is happening to your motor as you mod. That way when you eventually do get tuned, you don't just have to "take someone's word for it" that you're tuned up correctly. Knowing what mods will do what to engine mechanics and also knowing what PCM parameters they affect will open up door after door of understanding your LS1 completely. It's like buying a used car, you don't walk in not knowing dick... (I hope!) Maybe if you get curious enough you can start tuning yourself.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, good pointers!

Search this Thread