PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is lean at idle and it will not richen up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car is lean at idle and it will not richen up!

My car runs lean at idle LTFT's 14-18; however, I cannot get the LTFT's to come down at idle. Tried changing VE table, etc. but no change, or if they do change, they eventually go right back to lean condition. I have an ATI P series supercharger. Is the charger keeping me from riching up the car at idle? Or do I have a air leak somewhere?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 09:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a possible intake side leak.Also if you have a descreened Mass air,that can do it .
Old 02-09-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah, could be a vac leak, or possibly a miss adjusted maf table. try changing the maf where you idle, that should bring it back. "if not a leak"
Old 02-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wait4me
yah, could be a vac leak, or possibly a miss adjusted maf table. try changing the maf where you idle, that should bring it back. "if not a leak"
I had a Granatelli MAFS in the car, so tonight I changed it back to the stock one. Tomorrow I will do some logging to see if anything changed.

Can I take my intake off and put some kind of sealant on it, and then put it back in just to be safe?

My manifold air pressure is at 40 KP(spelling) at idle. Does that sound ok. That means no boost, right?

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 02-10-2005, 05:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IRVINEWS6
I had a Granatelli MAFS in the car, so tonight I changed it back to the stock one. Tomorrow I will do some logging to see if anything changed.

Can I take my intake off and put some kind of sealant on it, and then put it back in just to be safe?

My manifold air pressure is at 40 KP(spelling) at idle. Does that sound ok. That means no boost, right?

Thanks for the input guys!

More than likely it was the Granatelli.The stock unscreened meter will idle better because the air doesn't swirl around the meter.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
More than likely it was the Granatelli.The stock unscreened meter will idle better because the air doesn't swirl around the meter.
Well it looks like the stock MAF brought the LTFTs down some, but I am still seeing 8.59 to 12. The LTFTs go to -1.5 to -3.5 at slight throttle and cruise.

Should I take off the intake and put sealant on it and reinstall it? Or is there a way to check the vacuum lines? My Autometer gauge reads about 15 to 17 vac at idle.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Always nobody listens to me. Your intake has drastically changed before your MAF. Your MAF table is wrong. And raising your VE table isn't really helping. You end up with rich VE fueling and lean MAF fueling, so at idle and low-rpm it is poopie. Try the Holden MAF table. The intake design is probably much closer to what you have. Then adjust your VE a little, if needed.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Another_User
Always nobody listens to me. Your intake has drastically changed before your MAF. Your MAF table is wrong. And raising your VE table isn't really helping. You end up with rich VE fueling and lean MAF fueling, so at idle and low-rpm it is poopie. Try the Holden MAF table. The intake design is probably much closer to what you have. Then adjust your VE a little, if needed.
I am listening! Where do I find the Holden MAF table? If I sent you a log file, would you look at it for me?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2005, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I had a similar experience... At idle, the car is calculating your air flow based on the ve table and maf table. To get the ltft right, disconnnect the MAF and log your trims at warm/hot idle. You will need to make changes to your backup VE table to get the trim in the -4 - 0 range. When the LTFT is right, copy this data to your main VE table. You will need to hand smooth the x5 cells (back up ve is lower resolution than the main ve).

At this point, plug your MAF back in and map your LTFT's against the maf raw frequency. You can adjust your MAF table as necessary to get your LTFT back in line.

Last edited by TAQuickness; 02-12-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

i sayt its prolly the MAF-but wouldnt the Procharger have something to do with that because it probably flows better then your exhaust-wouldnt it richin up if there was more leaving through the exhaust-so MAYBE lol you could get a cam with more exhaust duration?

JMO
-Adam-
Old 02-11-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. calibrate your MAF first(pm/aim/whatever me if you want a spreadsheet to do it)
2. only THEN it makes sense to adjust ve
3. running lean at idle is fine, you're not putting any load on it anyway, so it's not gonna detonate, but you don't eat up gas without a reason either. if it idles fine, leave it lean.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

You will be pleasantly surprised at what happens when you unplug the maf and log the trims. You may see them go from +8 to -15 as soon as the maf is unplugged
Old 02-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Launching!

I failed a pre-smog test. This is why I am trying to get it tuned correctly in order to pass smog.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Down Load Link to Log and Bin

Link to Log/Bin File
Old 02-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Honez
Thanks Larry for letting me use your site to post my log files.

Would someone please look at my files (test run 1 and test run 2) on the above site, and let me know what you think. I am lean at idle and rich elsewhere. This has caused me to fail smog.

Thanks

James
Old 02-12-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

man, all the pinging... 18 degrees of knock... It looks like the calculated air is not correct. It isnt using the timing tables like it should. When you floor it and make boost it should be showing the cells being used lower on the timing tables, but you are in the middle no matter what????? So it is getting way more timing than it should. just a thought, jes
Old 02-12-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

IRVINEWS6 - your pm box is full
Old 02-12-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't jump to conclusions about the pinging, when I was doing the log runs I struggled with the Spec-3 racing clutch and most of it was caused by me being in the wrong gear for the speed I was doing. It's not pinging as bad as the log files make it look. The focus here should be on the Fuel Trims.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Launching!

TAQuickness:

I cleaned out my pm box...thanks!

Quick Reply: Car is lean at idle and it will not richen up!