Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband reports stoich, smells rich at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
G5X3 here - Same problem and driving me crazy.

It smells like I am towing rotten eggs behind me at drive throughs, the bank, etc.

I tried the PE enable and it didn't help, as the LTFTs still seemed to influence the PE mode.

I think I am going to scale my idle VE cells down to almost 20%, as I expect the o2s can't add that much correction.

I will report back.
With my G5X3/112 I had to do scale the idle ranges 55/65/70 percent less than the stock tune (2002 A4 PCM). That's not a bad starting point.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Teching In

A rotten egg smell is usually caused by an excessively rich air/fuel ratio, but it can also be the result of fuel with a high sulphur content. If a cam has a lot of overlap, it may simply be allowing a good bit of the incoming air/fuel mix to pass by the exhaust valve before it closes. Raising idle speed may help in some cases, but if you're seeing smoke at the rear while the car is idling, the problem is probably something other than fuel.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dfe1
A rotten egg smell is usually caused by an excessively rich air/fuel ratio, but it can also be the result of fuel with a high sulphur content. If a cam has a lot of overlap, it may simply be allowing a good bit of the incoming air/fuel mix to pass by the exhaust valve before it closes. Raising idle speed may help in some cases, but if you're seeing smoke at the rear while the car is idling, the problem is probably something other than fuel.

Update!!

No smoke visible or seen...

I reduced the VE which was already 70% of stock down by another 10% at the known idle cells only.

NO MORE SMELL at IDLE !!!

Now it is time for headers!!!

Quick Reply: Wideband reports stoich, smells rich at idle