Old 02-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a LS1 edit

Does anyone know where I can purchase an LS1 edit for my 99' SS
Old 02-27-2005, 01:00 AM
12 Second Truck Club

you're better off going with HP Tuners (and they are a sponsor).
Old 02-27-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Ditto

Also keep in mind that if you buy a used LS1 Edit, it will cost 150 extra for an additional license (LS1 Edit licenses PER PCM ... )

Only time I'd consider LS1 Edit worth it is if you can pickup a cable and software for sub 100 ... and even then I don't think it'd be worth it....
Old 02-27-2005, 03:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by horist
^^^ Ditto

Also keep in mind that if you buy a used LS1 Edit, it will cost 150 extra for an additional license (LS1 Edit licenses PER PCM ... )

Only time I'd consider LS1 Edit worth it is if you can pickup a cable and software for sub 100 ... and even then I don't think it'd be worth it....
Mike, it wouldn't be worth it for under a hundred bucks?

I understand why everyone has jumped the LS1 Edit ship, but the criticism seems to go beyond reasonableness. I've had LS1 Edit since the beginning, and it has done everything I've asked of it. I haven't jumped ship because I've gotten great service from Carputing (carputing.com). I've been tuning/editing my PCM for about four years, most of that time HP Tuners didn't even exist. At present, I have to agree that HP has a great product, but I challenge anyone to tell the difference between a car tuned with HP, and a car tuned with Edit; they both get the job done, big time.

I don't have a problem with people recommending HP over Edit, but some of the slams against Edit get very personal, and ridiculous too. I know that Carputing refused to toe-the-line with LS1 Tech and become a sponsor, and they don't give anything away, but the comments against them are sometimes unbelievably vicious and absurd. I like LS1 Edit. I've been using it since the beginning, and I see no reason to abandon ship, certainly not to toe anyone else's line, but my own.

Anyway, glad to get that off my chest.

BTW, great job with all your tech help here. You are truly one of the most generous and knowledgable here.

Last edited by Predator; 02-27-2005 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Typo.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Predator
Mike, it wouldn't be worth it for under a hundred bucks?

I understand why everyone has jumped the LS1 Edit ship, but the criticism seems to go beyond reasonableness. I've had LS1 Edit since the beginning, and it has done everything I've asked of it. I haven't jumped ship because I've gotten great service from Carputing (carputing.com). I've been tuning/editing my PCM for about four years, most of that time HP Tuners didn't even exist. At present, I have to agree that HP has a great product, but I challenge anyone to tell the difference between a car tuned with HP, and a car tuned with Edit; they both get the job done, big time.

I don't have a problem with people recommending HP over Edit, but some of the slams against Edit get very personal, and ridiculous too. I know that Carputing refused to toe-the-line with LS1 Tech and become a sponsor, and they don't give anything away, but the comments against them are sometimes unbelievably vicious and absurd. I like LS1 Edit. I've been using it since the beginning, and I see no reason to abandon ship, certainly not to toe anyone else's line, but my own.

Anyway, glad to get that off my chest.

BTW, great job with all your tech help here. You are truly one of the most generous and knowledgable here.
people jump ship because they are smart eftlive/hptuners both come w/very good scanners ls1edit just put ouot a scanner recently which ive heard sucks...also the licensing for ls1edit blows...hptuners comes with 2 year licenses whereas ediit comes with one vin license...hmmm which one would I choose.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

I think most users just need one license anyway. I haven't used the integrated scanner in either product, but I always thought that neither one could equal or surpass a good aftermarket scanner like EASE.

I can understand someone choosing HP over Edit, but to already own LS1 Edit, and then to purchase HP, too, doesn't seem too smart to me, especially considering that your tune won't be any better.

Again, I've never had a problem with people choosing HP over Edit, but it's the mean-spirited slams that bother me. Just pick your poison and leave it at that. JMO.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i dont think anyone is recommending buying hptuners or efilive if youve already got ls1edit...but i will say efilives scanner is probably thee best on the market and hptuners scanner imo better thehn my old version of autotap and with the historograms make it very user friendly in tuning aspects. Also if you get 2 license you can negociate with a friend or friends to lend them the unit for a day or a few hours to tune their own car on the cheap meaning you could make some of your money back...say you lend 2 friends the unit at $100 a pop off the initial $500 price tag now youve just paid $300...at the current time theres no point to buy ls1 edit unless your not educated on the other options out there.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

BTW, do you think that HP Tuners would offer what they do if they were the only game in town, like Edit used to be? Carputing set the rules and HP Tuners cam along and lowballed 'em. Sort of like what happened to Apple. Edit had to start from scratch, and HP supposedly improved upon Edit's inventive genius. Look at the Apple iPod, there are hundreds of manufacturerers spinning off of Apple's genuis. I would always support creative genius over slick marketing, even if it costs a little more. JMO.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Predator
BTW, do you think that HP Tuners would offer what they do if they were the only game in town, like Edit used to be? Carputing set the rules and HP Tuners cam along and lowballed 'em. Sort of like what happened to Apple. Edit had to start from scratch, and HP supposedly improved upon Edit's inventive genius. Look at the Apple iPod, there are hundreds of manufacturerers spinning off of Apple's genuis. I would always support creative genius over slick marketing, even if it costs a little more. JMO.
hptuners/efilive realized they were late in the market and needed to one up the competition...hptuners even has competition with dhp powertuners in the v6 market but they've done a decent job in keeping up with that threat...i didnt see ls1edit even have a scanner till hptuners came around so what does that say? Its not creative genius as it was a monopoly...they now have competition I say whats wrong with competition? Whats wrong with 25-30 second write speeds? Whats wrong with having a great scanner? Whats wrong with them giving you 2 year licenses instead of one vin locked license? Oh yah it comes back to "creative genius" theyve had 5 years to improve on their initial release...tell me what they've done for you guys that purchased it? Whens that integrated w/b release coming out? When are they gonna cut the read/write speeds to under 10 mins? Are they gonna offer you guys vin licenses for $99 or less soon like efilive? Are they going to offer a usb hookup anytime soon? Tell me one thing that they still have a leg up on against the competition?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

As I mentioned in my original post to Mike, I understand why people are choosing HP over Edit, which are many of the reasons you stated. The only problem I've ever had was this desire people have to viciously slam Edit. It really isn't necessary.

Look at the motorcycle industry, the cruiser segment. You can buy a Japanese cruiser that costs less than a Harley, out performs it, is more reliable, but Harley invented the big cruiser, and they have a certain quality about them that keeps many people buying them. Call it appreciation or loyalty, you might call it stupidity though.

Same thing with Apple. Would the PC be where it's at, now, without having pirated Apple's genius?

Would HP even have the ability to offer their product if LS1 Edit didn't do all that groundbreaking and creativity?

Nothing new here, genius always gets screwed by thieves and slick marketers, and gets no credit either.

If you just look at dollars and cents, the decision is a simple one, but thankfully some people are able look beyond simple economics, and give credit where credit is due. I have a friend that has always wanted a Harley-Davidson but ended up buying a Yamaha Road Star. He said that he doesn't want to spend 20k for a motorcycle. I just told him NO ONE does, but obviously the mass of Harley owners see beyond the economics, and appreciate Harley beyond just the motorcycle it produces.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had LS1 Edit since 2001 ... I stil have it...

I killed 1 PCM with it because they didn't offer a safe write at the time... their solution "send us 50 bux and the PCM and we'll try to recover"

I was so paranoid about edit that I paid another 150 for a spare PCM... so let's add this up:

LS1 Edit new: 500, new PCM, 150, autotap , 250, reflash 2 PCMs by dealership, 75 (sad when the dealership is cheaper than what carputing wanted to charge....) Total cost: 975

There are others that actually killed their PCMs (to the point where it requires chip be removed) on multiple occasions... so they were out a new PCM, plus a new license... fact is LS1 Edit took hold of the market and stopped being innovators... since there was no competition , they just sat back and would add some tables now and then... but that's it...

Would HPT/EFILive/TunerCat be where they are now were it not for LS1 Edit? I don't know... I do know they are all pioneers in the field and not pirates though... But I don't like the what if game... fact is in the here and now LS1 Edit simply isn't a wise choice in my opinion... yes I have animosities towards them based on how they've treated me and others in the past... but even despite those... no scanner, no EIO option, no real enhancements in years, no resale... In the here and now it's just not worth it....

HPP3 used to be a big item as well... but now that the community as a whole has become more knowledgable... it's not held as high as it once was...

Sorry, based on the support I've gotten from carputing, their slowness to change, and a few other issues, I will NEVER reccommend their product... and you can say it's bashing but I say it's telling hte truth... even for under 100 bux it's not worth it... those that have killed a PCM will understand (in my case it was because my USB to Serial adapter lost communication during the write) ... granted the new software has a safe write finally... but carputing sure as hell wasn't there for me when i needed them... and ever 2-3 weeks a post will appear in here asking for LS1 Edit software since carputing won't send the people an older build based on their licensing unless they pay ....

People lose their software... their (carputing) solution (if out of software maintenance agreement): send us 50 bux and we'll send you software (software is EMAILED not even on a CD)

Carputings effort in the car industry (as far as helping) : basically none ... now i've heard the ls1edit mailing list has been more moderated

even for 100 bux , 150 for a license... that's 250 bux for JUST a tuner... if you don't already have a scanner then you need that too... oh and the resale on your now 250 dollar cable... less than what you paid for it originally...

W/out the integrated scanner makes it more difficult for newbies since it requires manipulating data in excel

Last edited by horist; 02-27-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Well said Mike, and I respect your opinion.

My experience with them has been entirely different. I did fry one PCM, but it was a shorted knock sensor that burned the pins, but I was suspicious of Edit, at first.

At one point, I couldn't get the software to work with Windows XP, and Dave exchanged tons of email with me over the course of week trying to solve my problem. He even had me send the cable back, he tested it, and shipped back to me at their cost, and no charge.

They had talked about being totally taken advantage of when it was LT1 Edit only, and vowed to never let that happen again, perhaps over-compensating.

Anyway, beating a dead horse here.