PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much hp do you lose from 93 to 91 octane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:22 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
the funny part is they say PA, where i was from had the worst roads rated by the truck drivers association of America, however. They were a walk in the park compared to this ****. You would think they would devise a better way of paving the roads with better material. Especially with all the taxes!! dont get me started on the taxes! errrrrrrr our registration is 400 this year! insane i tell you!!! i paid 35 in the states!
What do you do if you do not mind my asking? Moving from Pa to Quebec is a real culture change. I live in Ottawa and am originally from Montreal. Montreal had the world expo in 1967 and the Olympics in 1976. The city has been quite literally broke and in debt since then. The 1976 Olympics were the last ones to not make money. The city has about $1.5 billion in debt from that alone. But in general the roads have always been rough.

By the way, part of your registration is actually car insurance through the province. Most people then add more through a normal insurance policy. In Ontario registration is more like what you are used to, here its $75 per car per year.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
How far are you from St Leonard? are you in the MFBA? i am.
I'm from Trois-Rivières, 90 miles north-east of Montreal. It's a mid-sized town (100 000), midway from Montreal to Quebec City on the north side of St Lawrence river.

No, I'm not a MFBA member, but I do meet some of them at the Napierville Dragway strip a couple times a year.

BJM : I've never been in PA but if the highway there are comparable to our roads, then I'm really sorry for you Pennsylvanians. Our roads indeed sux big time!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually, i got married, yeah its a pretty big change, i miss my friends and such, the people were just as you say different than they are here. If i could, moneywise move back to the states, i wouldnt hesistate for one second and if quebec started implementing more taxes, i can barely handle them now, i would move out. Honestly, I dont mind Canada, more or less its the french speaking Quebec and their beuracracy(sp) i hate. I was from Bucks County Pa, bensalem, about 15 mins outside philadelphia. I dont think there is roads on EARTH! comparable to these roads, hahah. Yeah i see three rivers on the signs on the 40. Im stubborn that it took a lot of money over 3k American to move to Quebec, and a lot of things, i just got my residency card, and should have my healthcare by May, that i dont like to move! But if things got bad enough i would. I just dont have many friends like i had back home, i have a great wife, supports me, loves me, needless to say its tough!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately, Quebec is the most taxed province. Ontario is noticeably cheaper. I have a cottage in Quebec in the Pontiac region (near Shawville where the locals chased the language police out of town). Perhaps we will meet up sometime. My cousins all live in Virginia, hence my familiarity with driving through Pennsylvania. On family trips to Virginia my Dad used to consider reaching Bethlehem his achievement for 1 day's driving.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your ever in montreal, shoot me up a pm and we can get together or what not.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
WHOA WHOA WHOA

No intent to hijack, but are you saying that sunoco's 94 is essentially fake? Because when I put that in my car, I'd swear she doesn't perform as well as on Sunoco 93. I use Sunoco exclusively, BTW. Maybe that Ethanol could explain it.

EDIT: hey 92silverSHO I have probably seeen you around. where are you in Bensalem? do you take street road eastbound often? That would be so funny if that was you.
It is not fake. The petroleum companies add ethanol as an oxygenate to gasoline by federal mandate (i.e. the government makes them) to conform to the Federal Clean Air Act of 19xx. The added oxygen content aids in burning excess hydrocarbons when in the presence of a catalyst, hence catalytic converters.

Around 2001, there was a push to move from MTBE (methyl-tert-butyl-ether) over to ethanol due to the toxicity of MTBE. The problem with ethanol is that it will pick up water very easily which essentially will lower your octane rating.

I worked at Sunoco as a chemist in 2001 when we were switching over to ethanol from MTBE. I did extensive work to determine the octane rating impact that this would have as well as the impact to performance and mileage. It was pretty cool work that exposed me to chassis dynos as well as engine dynos along with a huge array of emissions equipment.

I can tell you for a fact that 94 octane gasoline is 94 octane. Chances are pretty good that it's closer to 95 or even 96 due to 'over octaning' the gas to combat any moisture pickup during transport and storage.

IT'S NOT THE GASOLINE

Like I said, check your fuel filter, check your plugs, check everything to make certain you don't overlook any little things that could be causing your problems.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:15 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
...... The problem with ethanol is that it will pick up water very easily which essentially will lower your octane rating......

You are probably the right person to ask this then. Why is water injection used as a knock suppressant if it lowers octane. Is there a difference between water in solution (in the gas) and water vapour (injected)?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess your referring to a forced injection setup.... I'm not really familiar, but I'm guessing that the water is used to cool the intake. At the temperature, the air is atomized completely and the relative amount of percent moisture problably is the same as a N/A setup.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:24 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Water injection used to be common on old musclecars in the 80's with high compression ratios to let them run lower quality gas, naturally aspirated.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yo B, i didnt realize that was you, but i put two and two together, whats going on. One thing for sure, i do miss the gas in philly. I just changed out the plugs, filter, new front o2s, all are only 5k old, so im out of ideas!

PS, haha i visited your web page, beautiful house! must be making some dough, I see Roxy by the car, haha. Is she still wild doggy?