Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deactivating a Harlan 2 step

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deactivating a Harlan 2 step

Search & PM has been my friend for most of my questions.

I have a 98 SS w/T56, planning to use H-2 step "Latched"

My question is, when using the Cruise Control switch to deactivate the unit, is it necessary to completely unplug and disable the CC by removing the factory wiring plug? This will disable the Cruise. No biggie, but is it possible to slice into the wiring assuming it is a grounding switch to keep the CC working with the 2 step off the same factory switch? Getting the meter out tonight, just trying to see what everyone else has done.

As an option, is there any updated pin out info for the 98? Questioning because I read a thread by Slow on a (8 pin) connector while he was connecting his N2o.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 04:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're using the CC switch on the clutch pedal, then no you don't need to disable the CC. One side of the switch is a ground and the 2-step just looks for a ground to deactivate. Pretty sure thats the way I had mine tapped in.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

So you didn't unplug the factory wiring, your cruise works correctly, doesn't rev when your using the cruise when the clutch is de-pressed?

Splicing into one from the wires without cutting it works?

Anyone else try this? I'd just like to know if in it's factory condition. while plugged into the factory switch is it a ground circuit or does it carry voltage during it momentary hold of the rpm's while the cruise is working.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

The 8 pin connector is under the hood, C105 i think, it has 5 wires used on most cars, with pin G providing a second tach signal output that is only used on the TCS equipped cars. so all cars without TCS do not use this and it is an empty connector.

I do not know anything about the wiring for the clutch pedal I haven't had the change to try to make a 2 step work on my car yet.

Ryan
Old 03-01-2005, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Slow,
I lucked into a post by you while searching the words "cruise control switch" where you out lined the pin outs on a 98 for this 8 pin connector.

Can you give me the general location of this 8 pin - C105 connector?
I have TCS so I'm not sure it with work, but it's winter I'm going nuts and what else do I have to do but try stuff out.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:08 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lar's SS
So you didn't unplug the factory wiring, your cruise works correctly, doesn't rev when your using the cruise when the clutch is de-pressed?

Splicing into one from the wires without cutting it works?

Anyone else try this? I'd just like to know if in it's factory condition. while plugged into the factory switch is it a ground circuit or does it carry voltage during it momentary hold of the rpm's while the cruise is working.

Yes, thats the way I had mine setup. Everything worked fine. I don't have TCS though.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:57 PM
9 Second Club

That is how mine is hooked up as well. Just taped into that wire for the ground source and installed a push button momentary switch in the ashtray for activation. Everything works fine, 2-Step and cruise.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Great, sounds good. So it must be a grouding circuit.
One is Pink and one is Brown/Brown White. Any idea which wire to splice into or does it matter since they connect to each other when the button gets pushed by the clutch pedal?