Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suggestions on idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions on idle problem

i have a h/c car and i got it idleing good if on hot starts cranks right up, but i'm having one problem i cant figure out. when i'm in 1st or 2nd and above 1500 rpms, and i push the clutch in when coming to a stop the rpms just falls flight on hits face below idle speed and then a few seconds it comes back up is there a way to fix this the only tuning i have dont to fix my idle is change the ve table added some timing and idle at 850, and that fix most of my problems. thanks for the help

also when i start the car it will stay at 1000 rpms for a few minutes, and then eventually come down to idle is there a way you can make got to idle when you start the car
Old 03-03-2005, 08:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would try playing with your ve table a bit, possibly raising it up a tad in the cells you adjusted...also your car generally will start out in open loop which usually commands it to idle a little differently then once you get warmed up.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you using to tune? You need to get your idle airflow tables, and park iac's in order.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
What are you using to tune? You need to get your idle airflow tables, and park iac's in order.
yah...i forgot to add that...not only can you get hesitation if these arent in check they also add/subract from where your idle stands.

Last edited by foff667; 03-03-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00PwtrSS
push the clutch in when coming to a stop the rpms just falls flight on hits face below idle speed and then a few seconds it comes back up
I have had the same problem with both aftermarket cams, and it's worse with the bigger one. I guess I'm just not a very good tuner, because I dinked with all those tables until the cows come home and still had the problem.

So I fixed it real good this way:
I flipped the TB screw upside down, and adjusted it until my engine idled at the minimum idle speed I wanted with ZERO IAC counts showing in EFILive. This way, the PCM is mechanically limited by how much it can reduce idle air, but it can increase it if it wants to. Just remember you have to reset the TB closed calibration each time you adjust this. See the sticky for "how to."

Works like a charm! I can suddenly push in the clutch and slam on the brakes, even coming off from hard acceleration, and the idle is totally stable and not below the setpoint. And this is with a good sized cam (see sig.)