Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to tuning

I am thinking about trying to learn to just tune my own car. I figure i will need several tunes and it would be cheaper for me to just buy the stuff myself and tune it myself. Since its a lot of money each time you get a tune done. So my question is:

1. What are all the things needed to tune?
2. Can i tune on the street only, or do i need to dyno tune also?
3. Anything else about learning to tune and stuff required would be really helpful?

BTW i already downloaded the sticky tuning 101, so i have that as a basic to start with. If possible id like to put a basic tune on my car by next month.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That document is good and should a good start. All you need is HPTuners and it is the tuning/scanning software package. Since you have stock internals, the tweaks should not be far off. Start with making a 30-40 minute log and see what the car is actually doing. Since you have Air Induction Mods, I would suspect the MAF Table will need tweaked. The fans will need adjusted with the new thermostat.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

So all i need to do is buy the hp tuners. Hptuner allows me to change almost everything if need be. Can i tune after a new rear-end, cam, heads, turbo, and anything else? What hptuner setup do i need to get. I see there are a few different kinds to choose from, and can i use it with a PDA, which PDA's work with hptuners.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes to all your questions about "can i tune after ...."

Go to their website (www.hptuners.com), under products, you can download the complete manual... it's a long read but explains alot of the tables you can modify ... there's ALOT it lets you modify

You'll want the base HP Tuner package. If you plan on purchasing a wideband O2 sensor for tuning (stock O2 narroband sensors are only accurate at 14.7:1 so can't be used with great confidence for WOT tuning, it's possible, but wideband is safer) then you'll want to add on the EIO option

The EIO option gives you 4 inputs (anything that outputs 0-5 volts can be logged... examples are wideband, fuel pressure, etc...) and 2 outputs (you can use it to activate relays to turn circuits on ... example... turn a nitrous system on only if my AFR is between 11.8:1 and 12.2:1 , or only when at 100% throttle, or only between 3000 RPM and 6000 RPM or only in 3rd gear .. )

PDA version is not available with HP Tuners. It sounds like they will have a Pocket PC version but I don't believe there's any release date currently as they are focusing on finishing 2.0 and finishing LS2 support right now
Old 03-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by horist
Yes to all your questions about "can i tune after ...."

Go to their website (www.hptuners.com), under products, you can download the complete manual... it's a long read but explains alot of the tables you can modify ... there's ALOT it lets you modify

You'll want the base HP Tuner package. If you plan on purchasing a wideband O2 sensor for tuning (stock O2 narroband sensors are only accurate at 14.7:1 so can't be used with great confidence for WOT tuning, it's possible, but wideband is safer) then you'll want to add on the EIO option

The EIO option gives you 4 inputs (anything that outputs 0-5 volts can be logged... examples are wideband, fuel pressure, etc...) and 2 outputs (you can use it to activate relays to turn circuits on ... example... turn a nitrous system on only if my AFR is between 11.8:1 and 12.2:1 , or only when at 100% throttle, or only between 3000 RPM and 6000 RPM or only in 3rd gear .. )

PDA version is not available with HP Tuners. It sounds like they will have a Pocket PC version but I don't believe there's any release date currently as they are focusing on finishing 2.0 and finishing LS2 support right now

Sorry if i missed sumething, but how do i ude hp tuner , speaking in a hardware sense, where can i obtain the wire? I assume it goes into the diagnostic port ( red one) by the right knee in the drivers seat , i have a 1993 Camaro so it does not have OBD II, was just wondering if its possible to use on it
THANKS!

--EDIT -- Just looked on the website some more and saw the Vechicle Interface Cable. Still would like to know if this software works on a 93

Last edited by Tritonium; 03-19-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Correct, it plugs into the diagnostic port, then you use the software to download the PCM info and make changes, then reflash the PCM

I believe 93 F-Bodies are chipped and don't have a programmable flash ... 94-97 F-Bodies have a programmable flash but HP Tuners doesn't work for these years at this time
Old 03-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by horist
Correct, it plugs into the diagnostic port, then you use the software to download the PCM info and make changes, then reflash the PCM

I believe 93 F-Bodies are chipped and don't have a programmable flash ... 94-97 F-Bodies have a programmable flash but HP Tuners doesn't work for these years at this time
So i am better off taking the car down to the local shop to get a nice tune? and to clear up all the rustyness