Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it really worth keeping the MAF? read inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default is it really worth keeping the MAF? read inside

ok i have been reading a lot about MAF scaling, and changing the VE and IFR but here is my take and let me know what you all think:

1) injectors are rated at a certain lb/hr and the rail pressure will change that, the way it is in our computers says the rail has a constant 58 psi, i have an excel file i found on here and you can put in the pressures for each vacuum reading. then this will get the injectors in line better and give a better base for tuning, the more tables that are right on, the better

2) as mnr-0 pointed out to me the frist step should be to get the 02 sensors to oscillate correctly. the fueling will never be consistent if the o2s dont function like they should.

3) i have yet to get to tuning for my MAF, im going to be doing heads and cam and i fiugre i shouldnt mess with that cause its all gonna change again prob. the more i start to think about it the more i dislike the MAF, i think there are too many issues at hand. i mean we are talking about resistors heating and cooling giving off a frequency and there is way too much that could change that, i would like to see the uncertanties of the MAF sensors. if they get heat soaked it would throw it all out. if you tune it in SD and get teh VE table on then why would you go back and change it with the MAF back on? the VE of the motor hasnt changed the motor is just getting false air readings. would the MAF really give better response? response is measured off the VE right? becuase the MAF will not change as fast as the air flow is. has anyone tested the differences in their SD tune in hot to cold weather? i just think its bad enough to have a VE table that changes but then to have a maf reading change thats 2 factors changing fighting each other.

sorry if i make no sense its kinda late, been a long day lol its just the more i think about it the more the MAF would end up screwing with the tune. and by all means if you guys can prove me wrong then do it. i just havent really seen anyone with great results from MAF calibration without changing anything else.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
......i mean we are talking about resistors heating and cooling giving off a frequency and there is way too much that could change that, i would like to see the uncertanties of the MAF sensors. if they get heat soaked it would throw it all out.
I understand your point but when the car is running there is always a good supply of air being moved across the wire, so there is never a chance for it to get heat soaked and give different readings
Old 03-19-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChiTownHustler
I understand your point but when the car is running there is always a good supply of air being moved across the wire, so there is never a chance for it to get heat soaked and give different readings

yeah you make a good point there. its just hard to think the maf sensor is any good when everyone is calculating all this out and its still not working right. just makes you wonder how accurate the maf is.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You tune is SD mode to "set" the VE table. Then you hook the MAF back up, and "calibrate" the MAF so that it coincides with the VE table. AFAIK, the MAF sensor gives a little better fuel control and smoother running, but it has to be told whats right first.

But I understand what you are saying 100%. I'm still tuning in SD mode and the car has run the best it ever has w/ Heads & Cam. I might take it to the track and run it, then tweak the MAF cal and see if it gets better, worse, or stays the same.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i think for now to make it easy ill leave the maf off and then ill see if it gets better with it on, if not im gonna ditch it. what can i put in place of the MAF so i can take it off?