Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tac is off i think...*maybe wrong forum*

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tac is off i think...*maybe wrong forum*

anyone else had this problem? i think my tac is offf. b/c recently i had my pcm flashed and it went back to the stock settings obviously when i had it reset...stock revlimiter is set for 6200 isnt it? reason i ask is b/c my car was hitting the rev limiter at 5700...so i think my tac might be off by like 300 rpm..im just using the stock tacometer...anyhow they set the rev limiter for 6500 so now i can take it up to 6k, but if this is a common problem then ill just start shifting at 5700 is thats more accurate....also i was thinking and i thought maybe they might have flashed my car with a automatic default setting, b/c that is where the A4 revlimiter is set correct? i could be wrong about that, im just tring to see what might have happened or if my tac is actually off...might have to invest in a aftermarket one...thanks guys

Jon
Old 03-21-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock tachs are notorious for being way off
Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya, i figured as much...i just dont want to put in a damn monstor tac...i think those look stupid in a street car...(just my opinion, no offence to anyone) i can understand a drag car....any alternatives? ill look around but if anyone knows of something, perferably something that looks good as well, let me know...i'd appreciate it..

Jon
Old 03-21-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

A friend of mine had a 98 that the tach was off by about 450 rpm. All we did was hook a scan tool to the vehicle idle rpm. Then took the face off of the cluster with the engine runnimg removed the needle and re-installed it. We tried it at various rpms and tinkered with it till we got it pretty darn close. The only gripe is that the tach had a slow response time compared to aftermarket.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilverStreak1830
ya, i figured as much...i just dont want to put in a damn monstor tac...i think those look stupid in a street car...(just my opinion, no offence to anyone) i can understand a drag car....any alternatives? ill look around but if anyone knows of something, perferably something that looks good as well, let me know...i'd appreciate it..

Jon
You could get a shift light... set it for your desired shift RPM - 200 or so (to make up for reaction)
Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by horist
You could get a shift light... set it for your desired shift RPM - 200 or so (to make up for reaction)
that was my plan...i just didnt know if the light went off the tac or if it went off the actual rpms from the engine...im not too familiar with how that stuff works..

Jon
Old 03-21-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilverStreak1830
that was my plan...i just didnt know if the light went off the tac or if it went off the actual rpms from the engine...im not too familiar with how that stuff works..

Jon

It goes off the engine, (the tach goes off the engine as well but doesn't update fast enough) (99-02 white #10 pin I believe)
Old 03-22-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

you know, ill take back my comment about thinking tachs look stupid our cars...i did a search on here and i have seen some pretty nice looking cars with big tachs in them and they look pretty good....so i started looking around on the autometer website and i like the 5'' carbon fiber tach with L.E.D. shift light...now i wasnt able to gather much info on this tach from there website...anyone know how much they are and if the shift lights have color choices? ill contact autometer about all this but im asking here first since ill prolly get a faster reply...thanks guys..

Jon