Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big problem not a clue

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default big problem not a clue

ok i have a bit of a problem.my f'n car went crazy i was working on it putting some cosmetic stuff on it and the battery went dead. no big deal right well the last time that happened the same thing happened but for whatever reason it corrected itself well not this time.heres the deal.i thought i had a tps problem so i put on a new one.charged the battery and the car fired right up.drove it for about ten minutes or so stopped ran into the store came out started right up drove to a friends parked it and about ten minutes later went to move it and the crap hit the fan i start the car and it's fine i wack the throttle cause my buddy had'nt heard the car with the dump open.well when i did that the rpms stuck at 3500 rpm's.

now i have checked the obvious so now i'm lost and if this will help at all the headers after a few minutes were glowing red *** hot and i know for a fact that is not normal and is certainly not good way to lean.i have a vacum tranny and have checked the vacum line and its fine so i'm out of ideas now bear in mind that this has happened once befor but the car corrected it's self so i'm lost any help would be good any at all i will check whatever again if i have to thanks in advance..............darrell

Last edited by blkmgc1; 03-23-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

ttt...
Old 03-23-2005, 10:42 PM
wrencher

Can you scan the data stream on the PCM? Is the IAC getting stuck? Does it idle @3500 now & then the headers start glowing?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My car does the same thing every once in a while, except I don't get header glow. Mine started doing it before my header install, so that may not be your problem. Also, I've noticed that the last time it did it I had the defroster on and when I turned the defroster off, the idle came right back to where it's supposed to be. Also if I leave the car alone for a few seconds the idle will come back down from 3500 rpm and after a 40 seconds act normal again.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrencher
Can you scan the data stream on the PCM? Is the IAC getting stuck? Does it idle @3500 now & then the headers start glowing?
first off whats happenen get the trans worked out.second of all yes it idles at 3500 rpm and after a little time the headers turn a neat shade of red and start glowing.no i don't have the capabilities to monitor the data right now but my buddy has a snap on scanner i could use but i don't and nor does he know what the perameters would be for my car.i know how to use it but would'nt know what was a proper reading it's all greek to me when it comes to that stuff.would the iac make the car do that even with throttle plate it the throttle body completely closed...just a thought but if that helps you help me cool. and no I let the car run for about 5 to 6 minutes befor i shut it off in fear of it running to lean when the headers started to glow don't want to granade the motor till next year gotta stay in tact till next spring.....
Old 03-29-2005, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

ttt......
Old 03-29-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what cosmetic stuff were you doing? Why did you think you had a tps problem? Does it stick at 3500 rpm every time you rev it?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

door panel stuff and yes now when i start it it goes staight up to 3500 rpm's.after awhile the car would have a rough time idleing i would alot of times have to tap the pedal and it would be fine until i accelerated again then i would have to tap the pedal when coming to a stop.ie thought it would be a bad tps but apparently it made it worse or something f#!k me if i know.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if your IAC is just sticking or something. I don't think that would explain the glowing headers though. Try unplugging your IAC when your car's idling low, then when it's unplugged see if you can reproduce the 3500 rpm hanging problem. It's too bad you don't have a scan tool, it would help a ton.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a huge vacuum leak somewhere? I would pull off the front of the air tract and put a book onto the throttle body when the car is running and see if it still runs. that would prove the big leak you have if it still runs with the throttle blade pluged up... 3500rpms is a pretty big leak.....
Old 04-06-2005, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

i give that a whirl and see what happens thats kinda what i figured about the vacum leak i called my tuning guy as well and he said the same thing big vacum leak well as soon as i get time i'll have a look at it and give the results as to what the problem was for anyone elses future reference thanks for the help guys......darrell
Old 04-09-2005, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

ok i got the problem fixed on wednesday the idea of covering the throttle body did work to solve the quetion of a vacum leak.it was not a leak it was the IAC (intake air control) anyway thanks for the help and the input it saved me some money (alot) shes all better now have a good weekend.................darrell